CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #21
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I'm a fan of Tokoro now, after watching a couple of his clips...

If anyone in Tucson is getting the PPV fight, let me know, it seems the only places in town that are showing it are two strip clubs...:lame:
Old 05-26-2006, 05:18 AM   #22
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
I have to go with Hughes on this one. I think the more well-rounded fighter wins this one.

I was watching "the countdown" on spike last night and it seemed as though Matt's training was more complete. Not to take away from Gracie, but Matt is a very smart fighter
Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 AM   #23
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
I see there are a lot of Matt Hughes fans on this board, thats cool.I love the sport and hope it goes on forever.my palms are sweating thinging about it.Lets see now, The iceman lost in pride, Newton lost in pride,shamrock and white have lost in pride, My point here is that alot of UFC fighters have lost in pride as did Royce. Hughes has been training with the same guys in the same camp for this fight, not a good thing to do. And who was it that compared J. Horns BJJ to Royce Gracie? You have got to be kidding me.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #24
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
Michael,

i wouldn't call myself a Hughes fan, but i am realistic!! :happy:

You can list all the fighters who have lost in Pride that were the best of the UFC, but the point is kind of moot for the Welterweights. It is the number one division in the UFC, has the deepest talent pool and is the one weight class where 90% will say the UFC outstrips Pride.

Royce was beating bigger stronger men when those bigger stronger men had no idea what BJJ was. That is the joy and the main advantage of BJJ, if you don't know it then you cant defend it.

Hughes may be arrogant but i think Penn thought him the lesson he badly needed to learn about making assumptions about a fight. Hughes gave up his back to Penn as he assumed he could escape the choke. He did not.

Hughes can be a suprising fighter, as mentioned earlier he caught St Pierre in a beautiful armbar. You can't say that Pierre did not expect it. He is a fighter, it is his job to expect everything!!!

I would dearly love Royce to win the fight. I truly would, but i must be realistic as well in looking at the strenghts of the fighters.

Hughes is just not like other fighters that Royce has faced. If you took the average skill levels of all Royces opponnents Hughes would work out as faster, stronger, more skilled, better conditioned and meaner. It's really that simple.

Hughes is clever and will keep it standing. I don't see Royce being able to bring it to the ground unless Hughes wants it there. I can see Royce maybe pulling guard but i think Hughes will punish him quickly then stand up. That would be the clever fight to play, and while Hughes may be arrogant, Pat Militech is not, and is a clever man.

Matt can easily stall to a decision, not give Royce the subs and land the shots he wants to land.

But he won't. He will try and knock Royce out. And that may be his undoing.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #25
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
I for one am not a true Matt Hughes fan. I just pick the best fighter between the two.

I am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, not Wrestling.

I would love to see an older, slower Gracie submit a younger, stronger and fast Hughes, but I don't think it will happen.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #26
bill fox

Profile:

Royce is my boy. I'll never forget sitting on the mat at Maxercise after the Severn fight. Half his face was still pink. Severn was trying to grind Royce's face off with his stubble when he was in Royce's guard. Royce was like "the only f***ing thing he did to me was with his f***ing beard".

Hughes would be tipping cows the Gracie's didn't make MMA happen. I hope he trips over his cocky attitude.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #27
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Bill,

There is a thin line between cockiness and confidence.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #28
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
I doubt it. I would imagine that had Hughes not gone into MMA he would still be coaching elite level athletes just like he was before hand.

As for cow tipping, sometimes working in the out doors can be a good thing bill.

Else where would everyone get there grass fed red meats for Paleo and ZOne etc? :happy:
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #29
bill fox

Profile:

Bobby

What on the Spike show last night went beyond cockiness to distain. It made me wish he could have fought Rickson in his prime.

Aiden

I'm just venting on pure emotion - no realation to reality.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #30
Rob McBee

Profile:
I'm a fan of both but I'm pulling for Royce. He's evolved his general conditioning to go along with his wealth of experience. Count on Hughes not to hold back at all which should make a great fight regardless of outcome.