CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Ooh, sounds like a plan Scott! Though I'm not quite sure what kind of mentoring I could provide, other than "how to scale down WODs." ;) Though I guess I've picked up ideas on modified equipment as well, and I do have an extensive book collection...

I have a homemade medicine ball I got from a fellow CF'er (badass) who has sand access--it's just a basketball with sand and duct tape.

The info on equipment is posted on the CF FAQ's, there is a link to a full breakdown put together by the CF Weekend Warriors. Here is the work/family friendly link: http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/homegym.htm

You can get an inexpensive bar and 25# bumpers for a pretty good price, which I would do if I wasn't holding out for the special bar I want. And I've been told saw horses work for both parallettes and a squat rack if you're good at ditching weight (or just use db's for a while.) Ken at CF Southwest uses this sweet giant tire for box jumps. I want to steal that idea. :-) I use my porch if i'm not at the gym. At the gym I stack up platforms or use the benches.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and here's the CF FAQ link to equipment questions: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Equipment0

There are also some great equipment making ideas on Ross Enamait's website... Here's a safe link on his board: http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157

There's also some great videos, like this one: http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/lowtechhigheffect.html (That is a work friendly training video, and I suppose it is family friendly unless you've got one of those families that thinks heavybag work is "too violent")

(Message edited by treelizard on March 20, 2007)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Timothy Roehr

Profile:
I would be interested in joining you guys. I currently do my crossfit workouts at Bally's. At least they have a track upstairs. And it is usually empty enough in the morning that no one bothers me.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I've tried a variety of gyms (the Y, the Racquet and Fitness Club, Gold's, etc.) and they all pretty much suck but I take what I can get. Someone told me the Boxing Inc that used to be World Gym has some pretty nice equipment, but I haven't really looked around yet... Gold's way East on Speedway has a heavybag, but I've never felt comfortable there. The Racquet Club has the advantage of being open 24/7, and I did 2 AM workouts there for a long time. The Y is cool because you belong to ALL the Y's once you join, and they all have different equipment.

I'm still in search of local gyms with bumper plates, if anybody knows of any...or high schools even...

I'm also looking for Tucsonans to go climbing with, if anybody's down for a trip to Rocks and Ropes sometime.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Tim- No problem if I do get something started the more the merrier. I'm looking to probably start on some scaled down WODS until I develop my strength back up.

Yael- Shoot me an e-mail with your phone number, a buddy I work with an I are going climbing this weekend up at Mt. Lemmon probably. He's been to the R&R lead climb class, and I've only really been climbing 3-4 times. I have my own shoes but use a borrowed harness. My buddy has everything and hes got some friends that are more than likey going too. Thanks for all those links too.

I deffiently would like a partner for R&R though.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Sweet!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hey, since you guys are already talking here, I'm going to direct a few folks to this thread--I'll email a couple of contacts over to you also, Scott.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #17
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Great Ken thanks alot for your help.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #18
Nicholas J Marquis

Profile:
Hey guys, Ken clued me into this thread. I used to workout with him, but just moved to Tucson. I've got some equipment that could be used for WODs. I'd also be interested in doing some climbing sometime.

Nick

(Message edited by Nick Marquis on March 20, 2007)
Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #19
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Cool,

When are you guys usually available for workouts or climbing? I'm probably going saturday up to Mt. Lemmon with a buddy from work and his friends (Who have way more experiance than me). But if that falls through I'm willing to go to rocks and ropes for a few hours if somone is down. Maybe we should set up some kind of Tucson crossfit/climbing website to keep in touch eh?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #20
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I could do Saturday if I'm back by 3 for the local Weston Price event. :-)

There's a Tucson crossfit listserv nobody ever uses, maybe we should revive it? tucsoncrossfit@yahoogroups.com