CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Skip Chase

Profile:
We have a client who has offered to 'sponsor'(pay for the Mt Baker CrossFit membership and training of) 10 high school athletes. In doing so, to the best of your knowledge, would we be in violation of any NCAA rules. We want to help, not hinder nor damage the future for these athletes.

Your input would be appreciated.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 10-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Skip:

Like everything else, the answer starts with "it depends..."

If the client is a booster of any particular NCAA institution (Div. I) and one of these athletes goes on to attend that institution, this does indeed violate NCAA rules. If any of these athletes becomes an NCAA athlete in Div. I it bscomes less clear. In some cases, if he only gives this support to scholarship athletes or if he has some potential downstream benefit (he's an agent, for example) it is a clear violation. If he is unaffiliated with any institution, has no business interest in these athletes, and gives "scholarships" to both NCAA athletes and non-athletes, then it firmly enters a grey zone:lol:! Once they are in college it is probably best for them to not accept this type of support if they are scholarship athletes.

While they are in high school, if he has no affiliation with any college athletic program, and if it is permissible by the high school athletic department, he probably is free to offer this generous sponorship. I think...

Old 10-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Thank you....the client has no affiliation with any institution. They enjoy the CrossFit experience and want to help some local athletes achieve their athletic goals.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Skip-

The only thing you have to be worried about is if anyone involved with your affliate is currently coaching at a D1 or D2 institution. The athletes themselves will be best served if they are in the recruiting process to share this information with perspective coaches. You personally have nothing to be too concerned about.

Karl
Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Thanks Karl. We are still confused....One of our clients spoke with her coach at U of Oregon. She said it would be a violation.

Perhaps I should try to communicate with the NCAA.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Skip, see my post above again. If they are college athletes they need to steer clear of outside "scholarships". It's a bummer, but their eligibility is at risk.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
Darrell, no, we are offering the memberships to high school students, paid for by clients who own a real estate business. They are willing to pay for 10 students to train for at least 7 months. They are not boosters for any university.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Skip-

I think Darrell and I are saying the same thing. I have been involved with a performance enhancement camp put on by FCA every year. The athletes attend for free. It is funded by a local businessman. We have run it through the NCAA, and have not had any issues. The best thing your clients could do is just run this sponsorship through a charitable foundation, and in the end they get the tax write off.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
High school sporting organizations have guidelines for athletes as well. Get in touch with the organizing body in your state and work with them. Athletes can lose their eligibility for numerous things, especially "gifts" that impact their athletic abilities.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Michael Stehle

Profile:
I've been working as a high school ATC for 17 years in NJ. As far as I know you'll be ok as long as you get the school board's approval.