CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Come on,
I'm going to the Cert in March. I'm in the process of opening a box in NC. I have been researching ways to motivate clients/athletes to be successful, so my business can be successful. I am not trying to sell the video. I found it to be very inspiring and there is reference to visualization and its use in the Olympics, etc and more. If you have not seen the video or have no interest, fine. If you have, what do you think? I’m not sure how to put my feelings into words. I’m still a little speechless. Again, I have heard a similar message before. This vehicle delivered it in a very powerful way, for me. I hope I can communicate it back to my athletes. I come to this site to gather insight and learn from the members. That’s why I asked for help. Here is my biz web site www.athoslegalvideo.com my number is there. Call me if think I’m simply a salesman.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Dave, a client of mine bought me a copy of the dvd. I watched and it had a huge impact on me. I will agree that it is a touch over-produced, but the message they are trying to get across is well received. I feel that it could have a profound effect on anyone who might want to achieve more for their life, competitively or otherwise. I am now going to watch it again!!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Joe,
The weird thing is, I have heard this message before in other forms, but it never hit me like this. When I played rugby for the Army and during my one and only semi-pro football season, we practiced visualization and had similar discussions about the law of attraction and how it related to our performance. I just never really made the connection. Perhaps, I’m just older and wiser or the video delivers the content better. I’m not sure. All I know is, it inspired me. Now I want to inspire my clients.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Let me add. I saw the video before I saw the web site. It's a bit cheesy. I agree.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Jesse McGill

Profile:
Dave...
This is not something you should defend. It's for people who believe. Thank you for posting the site. My wife, 3 year old son and I just watched it. We loved it and live our lives this way. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Jesse,
Thank you. I immediately prepared myself for criticism when I created the thread. I even started developing responses in my mind, and then I stopped, and visualized receiving more clarity and validation of my reaction to the movie. Interesting. I think I’ll watch it again.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Google (search ""law of attraction" secret") finds some info. Like here (w/f safe):
http://ming.tv/flemming2.php/__show_...010-001677.htm
" "Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your
words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny." --Anonymous

I was just watching The Secret, a 1.5 hour film about .... well, it isn't that it is that secret, or is it? The Law of Attraction. A bunch of inspiring motivational speakers and authors tell you, very well, and very convincingly, about what might be the biggest secret you need to know in your life. It costs a couple of dollars to see it online, but if, like me, you're on a Mac Intel that their video system can't handle, you can look around and find it on YouTube or in Wikipedia.

Next to my bed is the book Ask and it is Given, which teaches exactly the same thing. And, well, there are lots and lots of books that do so. The Master Key System is a cheap e-book. There are lots, and there has been for a long time. In 1957, Earl Nightingale, the co-founder of the Nightingale-Conant Corporation, and a famous motivational speaker and author made a record called "The Greatest Secret". Same secret.

And, yes, lots of folks would automatically be completely unwilling to accept such a far-out and naive new age idea. Doesn't matter. The proof is in the pudding. It is a concept that pretty much is self-proving. Except for the annoying aspect that if it doesn't work for you, it is for the same reason as why it works, and one is quite likely to reject it.

The simple point is that you get what you focus on in life. You get the types of experiences that you consistently think about, that you feel you're likely to get, that you expect and that you believe in. You attract to you that which you're emanating...."

And here's the awful "multi-level marketing"/ spam/ pyramid scheme angle (not safe link, plus this crap is just annoying):
http://www.mlmgorilla.com/lawofattra...tractionmovie/

(they would call this link and possibly driving traffic, which I hesitate to post, additional proof of the concept)

Motivational author S. Pavlina talks about it here:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/05/the-secret/
and links to this discussion about the "model":
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/cause-effect-vs-intention-manifestation /

Clearly, I'm not doing the work I should be doing.
Best,
Rene'
Old 01-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #18
Rene Renteria

Profile:
PS--I should point out that the following is the kind of thing one has to deal with if pursuing these sorts of ideas:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/05/the-secret/
"...The Secret has a lot of overlap with the book Ask and It Is Given by Esther and Jerry Hicks....Ask and It Is Given is a channeled book.... In order to write it, Esther channeled a group of non-physical beings collectively referred to as Abraham. ..."

So, you know, YMMV and good luck with all that.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #19
Travis Loest

Profile:
I'm not a very competative athlete, but I am completative. I usually finish, but not near the front of the pack. Sorry, couldn't resist.

(and I couldn't even stop myself from messing up)

(Message edited by cynr1023 on January 17, 2007)
Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
James Falkner

Profile:
I fail to see how LoA can be a MLM/Pyramid scheme - it seems like only one person gets rich - the person who you pay to watch the movie! Where are the "uplines" and the promise of a fancy car and big house?

However, I agree visualization is one of many tools in an athlete's toolbox. Just not sure I need to watch a video to learn that.