CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Joe Marsh

Profile:
I was simply wondering how many affiliates started with no facility? I am in a bind as far as locations go. There is a Krav Maga school in town that I was thinking of approaching, but in the mean time, I would like to train in big box gyms and outdoors. I'm hoping someone might have some insight.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
I began training clients in their home. I put a C2, power blocks, jump boxes, jump ropes, kb's, portable pull-up bar, med balls in a Dodge van.
I also 'rented' the Group exercise room in a local big box 2 nights a week. I had to name the big box as an additional insured on my liability insurance.
At the same time I was looking for a home. We wanted to share space. I began talking with 3 martial arts facilities and a gymnastics center. Two of the martial arts schools had enough square footage to accomodate me but both were new in business and I questioned there potential for success. Both failed within 6 mos. We went with the gymnastics center. He was also new in business, but already had over 150 students. I asked him if he had 3-400 sq ft in his 7000 sq ft facility to accomodate another business, offering him additional income. We both recognized our businesses would complement each other. We began training there Oct 1, 2005

He already had ropes to climb, p-bars, high bars, spring floor, etc. I rented 4-600 sq ft, but had use of the whole facility until 11am when his classes started. It was a sweet deal.

I started out with my established clients, and we added clients the first week from parents/friends of his students, and many of our clients enrolled their children in his classes.
Unfortunately/fortunately we grew out of that facility in 5 months and moved into our own facility April 15.

There's our little story.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Great summary... People - post more of these please!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Joe, we got started in a small private gym that had some very progressive, open-minded owners.
They saw the potential of the CrossFit concept.
Now, we have opened in a 2nd location, very similar to the first. Both gyms share space with Physical Therapists & some others.
The therapy community is very often better informed than most on the value of functional training; and CrossFit meshes quite well with what they do.
We also do some training events with a local boxing gym. The head coach there is very supportive of CrossFit.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Thinking about running Sat classes in a public park. Then I'm just hoping that people get curious enough to start up. How many affiliates built their clientele this way?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Skip, tell me a little more about your arrangement with the gymnastics facility. 5 months seems like a very short amount of time. What was the financial arrangement? How were the owners about oly-lifting, rowing, and other pieces of quipment that needed to be brought in? Was the arrangement amicable? How was the feeling when you moved out? Thanks, Skip.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
Joe-I am sorry it took so long to get back to this thread!!!

5 months was a short time. We originally thought we would be there at least a year. However, as coach says, "If you build it, they will come!" and they did.

Sharing space with an established business offered a 'captured audience'. His business helped to expand our business without having to spend any advertising dollars. The CrossFit protocol creates proven results, and the marketplace is looking for results, and clients are quick to talk about results, and KABOOM, the businessw grew.

The financial arrangement-we agreed to pay 20% of our gross in exchange for the space. We had 7000 sq ft of space for our 5:30, 6:30, 9:00am sessions. We had from 600-1000 sq ft for our 12, 4,5,6 and 7 pm sessions. We had 7000 sq ft for our Sat. sessions.

We did not have to pay for any utilities.

We had ample space for placement of kb,s, oly equipment, rowers. He gave us a high bar, p-bars and a ring tower to use.

The arrangement was great. We both gained new business from each other and shared ideas and training methods.

We outgrew our space quickly. When we moved it was all good. We still refer business to each other.

We are currently looking to expand into a neighboring county.(our county has less than 100,000 people and it does't make sense to open another facility here) I would share space again. Having that 'captured audience' was a benefit to our growth. Was it absolutely necessary? NO!! If you open a CF facility, they will come.

We want the 'mainstream'. It is my belief that the world wants to be fit and healthy. However, no ones knows how. If they knew how, most people would not be overweight. The methods they use do not give them results and they quit until the next time they get sick and tired of being sick and tired. They try again, fail again and the cycle goes on and on.

When they find a CF affiliate, they get results and they either tell others or their friends and co-workers notice the changes and ask, Joan, you look great..what are you doing?

CrossFit, baby!

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
Joe, we got started in the park with CrossFit Weekend Warriors:
www.crossfitweekendwarriors.com
The key is consistency! If you say you are going to do a WOD in the park every Sat., you need to be out every Sat! I now have between 30-45 regulars on Saturday with an email list of 68 people.
We started our week day classes (CrossFit SoCal)www.crossfitsocal.com about 5 months after Weekend Warriors was established. We train out of my home Monday-Thursday. Me, mostly in the am and three of us in the pm. That's our "back yard gym" on the front page today.
I encourage you to go for it! With a little creativity you can CrossFit anywhere!