CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 AM   #1
Stephen Cork

Profile:

Hi,

In thinking about the possibilities of one day opening a small gym crossfit style, i want to ask you all about your time outside the classes you run?

Specifically, for those people interested in training in their own time or programme, or those who can't necessarily fit in with the schedule.

Does anyone offer this type of option - more like a regular gym membership? Or is this completely off base as crossfit is more alligned to PT group or individual sessions?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Stephen,
I've thought about this quite a bit (I'm working on the Tucson facility).

The only way I'd allow "regular" membership to someone would be if they had completed the CF certification and demonstrated to me that they knew how to perform every "standard" CF exercise properly. Then I'd have no problem with them training on their own.

There would be the monthly fee, of course. Pay as you go...
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I don't know for sure how it works, but I have seen/read Coach say that there are certain people that he allows to train "solo" because their presence alone is a boost. I've gotta go with Garrett...they'd have to be certified and show that they can do the exercises.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Besides, if they are certified and you're ever short on trainers with basic qualifications, you know who to talk to!

There would also be the rare instance of someone working out alongside me possibly getting the opportunity for membership, they would have to already have great form and be significantly educated in CF exercise--I have a tendency to want to fix other's form even in the middle of my own workouts. Without that, I'd rather work out alone.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Jason Culbreth

Profile:
We only allow a couple of folks to workout when they want and that is usually because they are training for a big event or they are one of our fighters and it makes sense for them to do it in the off times. The problem with this is that it will cut into your paperwork or organization time as well. No matter how hard you try you will wind up on the floor with the folks, if for no other reason then to make sure they don't hurt themselves and come back and sue you.

The other thing is that a lot of the intensity that a person gets in a workout is from competing with others heads up. I have only seen one or two folks who will drive themselves to throw up with no one else there pushing them.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Dean Anderson

Profile:
Interesting. Though, I am relatively new to CrossFit (3 months or so), I have been training for over 25 years. I have been impressed with CrossFit and have adapted many of the training tenets to my own regimen. From participating in the daily comments forum and reading thru many of the message board threads, I can only conclude that the vast majority of people who begin CrossFit, like me begin in a "normal" gym, teaching themselves new exercises/lifts. Yet as I read thru this thread, contemplating my own decision to pursue starting a CF-friendly facility, I see an aversion by CF-facility operators to allowing this same type of membership activity. Do CF'ers in a CF facility need more supervision in a CF facility than a "regular" gym, or their garage? Thanks for any insight.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Dean,
You're right that most people on the board are capable of starting on their own with no supervision. But a lot of the excercises that are core to crossfit have potential to cause serious injury to people who have no athletic background or common sense (the bulk of the gym going population). You have to remember that 90% of your clients wont be superstars when they start with you so you'll have to watch them pretty closley. A rule of thumb in marketing is that 7 positive remarks about your business are equal in weight to one negative remark. That means for every seven superstars you create it only takes one injured client (with a bad atitude and a big mouth) to wreck that good work. With that in mind it's better to supervise the workouts.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Dean Anderson

Profile:
Motion,

Thanks for the reply. Completely agree. Even after 25 years of training, the Oly's are new to me and I am still learning. On that subject, is it truly necessary to incorporate the Oly's. It seems that the cost:benefit, especially to a new trainee is VERY high, meaning very little benefit for the potential damage. Likely it will take a new trainee many months, if not years, to master the snatch and be able to move enough weight (1+XBW) to make the movement meaningful. There are many other exercises which provide strength/speed adaptation more efficiently than the oly's, are easy to master, and less potential for injury.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
John Velandra

Profile:
Dean, don't even sweat the snatch initially (except DB of course:smiley_evilGrin:) There are soooooo many good moves that regardless of weight, the neophyte will get great results.

Simply learning (UNLEARNING) good tech on cleans, clean & squat, OHS, etc have been worth every pound not lifted! I've come from a pl & bb background, but have never worked to learn so many new things!

Think of the CNS (your earlier post) & hormonal response your body is going through - not to mention developing all 10 physical attrtibutes that we generally don't use.

Yes, you can develop alot of the power movements into explosiveness, ala Westside protocols, but we're now learning a new sport!

I'm rambling now... hope this helps.