CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Mike Jones

Profile:
Hi everyone,

First off I would like to say thanks to “Coach” or the “Coaches” who developed Crossfit and decided to share it for FREE with the internet world. The website is excellent, extremely informative and very user friendly for new comers. I have only just started with Crossfit for about one week and I can already feel it.

A little bit about myself: 29 years old, 5’ 9” and 147. I am an avid rock climber and enjoy outdoor activities. My exercise routine over the years has primarily consisted of weights and machines at my local gym with mixed results. I came across the CF website a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try instead of starting back up with my old stale routine. So far the WOD combined with the warm up have proven to be no joke. After reading other beginner threads it is nice to know that other people are also having difficulty getting through all prescribed exercises at the start. My main focus is to get the form correct for many of the exercise I am unfamiliar with especially “powerlifting” based exercises like cleans and deadlifts. I have had back problems most of my life so form is more important to me than weight. My overall fitness goal is to develop some power endurance and core strength specifically to improve my climbing for next season.

Couple questions:

1. Has anyone used CF for rock climbing fitness? If so I would love to hear your results and what is your schedule for work out days/climbing days/rest days.

2. For anyone using CF who has a history of back problems: Has the workouts help your back? Do you avoid particular exercises or maybe modified them?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
}
Old 11-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Mike Jones

Profile:
Sorry, I thought I was posting this under "Starting". Can you tell I am new?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Mike!
I'll just move this over to "Starting" for you. First one's free...:smiley_evilGrin:
Old 11-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Welcom to CF Mike! I've got serious issues with my back but since starting to do O lifts most of the pain I've had is going away. I guess that means something good must be happening? I've not had to modify any, yet. I'm not lifting any real heavy stuff though, so we'll see.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:
Take it very easy on the cleans and deadlifts, at first anyway. Some of the workouts are deceivingly hard on the lower back. I don't have a history of back problems (actually the opposite--a former competitive powerlifter) and I had a nasty spasm/pulled lower back muscle about a week into the program. It's better now, but that wasn't pleasant. It was the WoD that has several rounds of fairly light deadlifts, 400m runs, and situps. Felt fine during the workout, got home, and it spasmed up terribly about 2 hours later. Nothing to fear: just be smarter than I was and go slower at first. I figured that "I could do it" so it must be ok. I needed to be a tad more conservative than that.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
I had a very bad back when I started. Worked very slowly on deadlifts for the first year not lifting over 45#'s. But it has gotten better, at a bdywt of 165 I'm inching towards 400#'s now.

Rob Miller is the man to talk with about rock climbing and CrossFit. He built a wall for us and gave a seminar.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Climbing-Seminar.wmv
Old 11-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I have had a recurring back problem for a couple years due to a jiujitsu injury -- it rarely bothers me because of CrossFit. The only time it does is if I do a LOT of exercises with impact to them, like box jumps, O-lifts, etc. But by a lot I mean, hours of them, multiple days in a row. If I train intelligently and allow myself rest days, I don't have an issue at all and it's strengthened my core a great deal.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Oh, and always be sure to be impeccable about your form!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I want to add my 2 cents, I don't have a bad back, per se(I don't have any pain 99% of the time) but I have 3 fused vertebrae from a car accident 11 years ago. I can't repeat enough times what has already been said. FORM, FORM, FORM. If you are using proper form and appropriate weight with the majority of exercises you will not hurt your back. It is very easy to let your form slip as you get fatigued, but if you can't do the exercise with good form don't do it.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Mike Jones

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! As I suspected I need to concentrate on form, go at my own pace and listen to my body when it gets angry. Also, thanks for the climbing video link Jeff. I will try to touchbase with Rob Miller about climbing fitness impact using CF.

One quick question: What are O-Lifts? Some of you mentioned them in your replies. I couldn't find it under the Excercises link.

Thanks again!