CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Brian Dalrymple

Profile:  
hey there, i've been doing crossfit for about two months and love it. even went to the crossfit denver gym's grand opening even though it's two hours away (from where i am in vail). however while telemark skiing last weekend, i broke my tib/fib bad enough that my leg was facing the other direction when i came to a stop. i had to do the most 'hard' thing in my life and pull my leg back around so it faced front so ski patrol could get me off the mountain. i did have surgery and they put a titanium rod in my tibia for the next 18 months, with some screws to anchor it down on the upper and lower portions of the tibia. luckily there was no damage to the knee or ankle, just the head of the fibula cracked off (doc says needs no surgery since it's a non weight bearing bone, will heal itself) and the middle 4 inches of my tibia looked like a spilt box of toothpicks.

in short, any thing you guys recommend that i do to stay in shape? obviously i can't do the WOD anymore, and any 'cardio' related stuff will be difficult. i'm just at a loss after discovering the best workout plan ever, and now i'm still learning how to walk around on crutches. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. take care, brian
Old 03-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Tom Brose

Profile:
Man Brian, I hate to hear that. I guess you dodged many bullets not getting hurt playing rugby for so long, but damn. I knew you would get into CrossFit, were really glad to have you on the board, I just wish with better news.

My advice:
Dont get discouraged. As big a setback as this could be, DONT lose sight. When you are back to full capacity, did you do what you could to be better ASAP? I had really bad knee tendonitis that limited everything I could do for almost a year. Being on the "big boned" side, i slipped back into some bad habits and put on bodyfat. Still havent knocked it all off either, although I am working on being much stricter on the Zone.

Once I got active again, i realized I could have done a lot while my knee was hurt. One of the CrossFit journals has an article on Grady macDonald, a SEAL who had ACL surgury. By the time he was healed up and rehabed, he had pushed his pullups and L Sits through the roo.

I suggest making a list of all physical goals you can set without the use of the leg, and push those as hard as you can. When the time comes, your weaknesses from the past will be gone, and you can work on the leg.

Take care, let us know how you are progressing. Let me know when youll be back in the area.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Michael Gority

Profile:  
Sign me on to this thread, tore my knee up snowboarding just as I was starting to follow the Crossfit training. Having ACL surgery on 3/17 so I will welcome any input from others in the same situation.

Mike
Old 03-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Tom Brose

Profile:
Michael, hope the surgury went well. i have found a lot of people can come back from ACL surgery quite well. Start working the ROM as soon as possible.

Brian, whats your status? You have a long road ahead, but keep posting here. On a side note, Chris played for the Uni boys against Washington Bs last sat., then ran a 10 miler on Sunday. Doing CrossFit and no duration, his 10 mile time was only a few seconds off last year.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
CF Journal issue #33, "Working Wounded"

Also, there are lots of threads in this forum on the topic of working with and around injuries. Poke through the archives some--I imagine you'll have some time. :-p

Good luck to you both.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Brian Dalrymple

Profile:  
hey tom,
three weeks on crutches....three more to go. leg feels good, but shrinking fast. still just trying to follow doctors orders and not put too much weight on it other than just the weight of the foot itself. been doing massage on it to get the bruising out, some range of motion and other things.

i'm going to look at the list of exercises that crossfit has and then write my own workouts to last 15-20 mins (less at the start, cause i've been doing nothing for three weeks) and focus on the things i can do. i doubt i'll be able to do anything with a signifacnt heart rate increase since my mobility is so limited, but some lifting is better than none i suppose. will let you know what i come up with and will go from there.

cheers for you concern and tell chris i said hey and congrats on doing so much. later, brian
Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
Michael Gority

Profile:  
Hi guys.....had my surgery on 3/17 and had the staples removed today, graft looks good and swelling is not too extreme. Am doing ROM and Physical therapy exercises religously, as well as icing and elevating to reduce the swelling as much as possible. Plan on doing upper body and abs work after getting off the crutches in 2 weeks and then follow everything to the letter in order to get full functionality. Does not help seeing all this snow falling!

Mike
Old 03-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Michael, glad to hear that things are looking good--and that you're being religious about ROM and PT work. Progressively getting back your ROM on schedule is so important.

My advice would be not to wait until you're off crutches to start working out. After my ACL surgeries, I was working out again within the first week (just at home at first), and had incredible benefits for my recovery and for my mood. Even with the brace, I could still do push-ups (weight primarily on the non-surgical foot), dead-hang pull-ups (do *not* try kipping ones for a few weeks if you had a hamstring graft! :sad:), sit-ups, mini-dips (diplettes?? :wink:) on parallettes (or between chairs) with feet resting on the ground or on a box or something, overhead presses, pistols on the good leg, etc. Put some of these together into a few rounds of a CF-style circuit and go for it. No reason to put it off, as long as you’re generally ok and not still on heavy narcotics. There’s so much good to be said for just getting moving, huffing and puffing, elevating your heartrate, breaking a sweat, and releasing some good restorative hormones!

Keep us posted on how you’re doing.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
Tom Brose

Profile:
Great advice Carrie. I really thought that the CrossFit Journal 33 was dead on, I wish I had been that smart while I suffered from Tendonitis. One of my clients injured her knee in December, today she looked up and said "well, i guess you were serious about hammering my core and upper body" this was after she completed her sets of kb side presses, windmills, tuck sits on the paralletes etc. Things she never could have done before are simple now, and her leg is getting better.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:37 PM   #10
Matthew Heidt

Profile:  
Here's a tip for when you are fully recovered. Have that titanium plate removed from your tibia. My brother in law is an ironman triathlete and broke his tib/fib on a mountain bike. They plated it and I suggested that he might want to get it removed before restarting his running routine.

My theory was that the plate might prevent the transmission of energy through the tibia and up into the body where it could naturally dissipate. It turned out that I was correct and he developed a nasty ankle pain because all of the force from his stride was being absorbed in the first six inches of his leg.

Plate came out, problem disappeared, 10 hours in Hawaii six months later.