CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Theron Mathis

Profile:
I have mentioned this before and of course I have yet to see a doctor or chiropractor. I am stubborn and self diagnose too much.

Tonight I did several sets of deadlifts. My right hip that plagues me began to bother me again. This time it was not just the hip but went from the top of the hip bone on my right side to the middle of my right cheek. Nothing severe but a nagging pain.

After the deads, I hung on the pullup bar and did some twists and some hanging leg raises. The hanging leg raises really seemed to help relieve the pressure in the muscle. It was like it was releasing the pressure or strain. Any other ideas about stretches or exercises that must help. I am sure it is muscular in nature. What muscles run from your lower back into your rear?

Thanks again,

Theron
Old 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Don't be sure it's muscular in nature. Check out Matt Spiller's article in Dan John's Get Up (it should be listed somewhere if you do a search on this forum about it).
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Theron,
I am not a Chiropractor, but...

The fact that hanging (decompression) worked well, would lead me to beleive it is probably not muscle related. Remember, decompression is the therapy used for a lot of herniated disks.

I can not recommend strongly enough that you go get checked out. Don't play around with your back/hips.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
Mike Moore

Profile:
Uh....it kinda sounds like a herniated disc to me....that doesn't mean you need surgery as symptoms may resolve with conservative measures, but you do need to get an accurate diagnosis and figure out how to prevent this from happening again e.g. stop DLing, change DL form, do alternate exercise, etc. That's what life is about...choices
Old 04-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
It could just be a tight S-I joint...or a degenerative disc...or a genetic defect in one of the lumbar discs...I'd go to a sports med doc and get x-rayed. In the meantime try not to aggravate it and stretch if it helps.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
theron-

sounds like veronica nailed it with the s-i joint. i have been experiencing the almost exact same symptoms as you for the last year and a half after the wheels failed to lock while removing a 475lb. woman from the back of the ambulance at work. and about a month and a half ago went to a chiropractor and found out about the subluxation. you definately won't know what it is until you get it checked out though. unfortunately for now i have to either stay away or just go very light with the olympic and power lifts because they seem to aggrivate it the most. would also definately recommend icing the area often. get ti checked out by either an orthopedist or a chiropractor.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
Michael McMahon

Profile:
Get it checked out!!!! I have been going along thinking that I just had a pulled muscle in my lower back. Went to the ortho who sent me for an MRI, got a call from him last night that I have a herniated disc at L4-L5. He doesnt seem too concerned for me but now I'm glad that I went, I would advise doing the same.