CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Sebastian Montgomery

Profile:

I'm looking for WOD that don't involve the lower body at all, which is proving difficult. Looks like I'll be doing tons of pullups and situps (not that I mind)

I am unable to stand and do weight-bearing exercises due to a nasty fracture of my ankle. Anything lifting would have to be done seated, with my legs crossed so I wouldn't engage the lower leg at all.

I've been going through the archives trying to cull what I can, but would appreciate any ideas/input from the community.

If I want to work on things such as L-sits, skin the cats, toes to bar and other things I can do hanging from rings or a bar, how would I incorporate them into a WOD type configuration?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
I had a trimalleolar fracture in Feb of this year. Is your bad leg in a hard cast or an immobilizer? Are you cleared for things like ankle pumps on that leg or no activity at all (moot if hard cast).

Don't neglect your good leg. There are many studies to support cross-over effects for single-limb exercising, plus you don't want to lose on your good leg just because it will not train hard while you are laid up.

Pistols would be good to work on here (don't fall <g>). If you can rig something for single-leg cycling that would have no activity for the broken one, that might be good. Single-leg calf-raises. Don't forget to stretch the hip-flexors. I found that the "hunch" of walker/crutches made for tight hip flexors on both sides.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
If I want to work on things such as L-sits, skin the cats, toes to bar and other things I can do hanging from rings or a bar, how would I incorporate them into a WOD type configuration?

Follow the WOD's lead, intense workouts, lot's of variety etc. Keep it simple choose 2-3 exercises, done for 3-5 rounds is the most basic and most recognisable CrossFit workout construct. As your workout are all upper body, you may not be able to do as many reps..this is fine. Experiment, write down results and eventually you'll get the balance between volume and intensity that messes you up. Examples:

5 rounds of:
15 Skin the cat
25 Ring dips

3 rounds of:
L-sit 120 seconds
75lb Seated shoulder press, 30 reps

Endless possibilities.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Sebastian Montgomery

Profile:

Lisa, wow, a trimalleolar fracture? That's intense.

I am not allowed any activity on my right leg for now; they want that ligament to reattach, and are hoping for it to happen without surgery. I'm trying to be as compliant as possible.

I tried some pistols this morning to sub during Angie--had to use a handrail, but something I want to work on.

Thanks for the help