CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #21
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Testing Fitness and Removing Judging Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
...and then continually try to provide workouts and events that give opportunities for all regular body types to shine. CF competitions shouldn't just be about the men who have the ideal 5'8" 185# bodies (and female eq.).

I whole-heartedly disagree, why would you program a fitness test based on attempting to advantage one body type.

I think that is a bad way to design a test. If you are programming a fitness test, it should test your definition of fitness, with utter disregard for any other input. Who cares if a muscle up is tough for a 250# guy, it is a test of a certain mode. Who cares if a 500# deadlift is tough for a 150# guy...etc...We are testing fitness not the subsequent data. Now having as many different tests is maybe what you meant, and that I agree with, but not because different tests may advantage different people, but because we are testing fitness and different tests are all aspects of fitness, so yeah have a 10k in your event, it tests something drastically different than CTB Fran.

Furthermore, it just may be that a certain height/weight ratio lends itself to being more generally physically prepared than any other height/weight ratio. Yeah I said it, maybe a certain height/weight ratio is on average MORE FIT than any other. When I think about it, that is the most logical outcome. I think for GPP I'd be surprised if we found the Games winners to be all over the map...6'5" guy this year, 5'7" guy next year...unless you start advantaging certain types, then of course our results are meaningless as we've biased on purpose certain events for certain types.

We always say "bigger, stronger, faster"...but look at the biggest humans, typically they have joint issues as the human body is only designed to handle so much mass...

Last edited by Aushion Chatman : 06-12-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #22
Geoff Archibald

Profile:
Re: Testing Fitness and Removing Judging Problems

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Chatman.

I think that one of the most amazing aspects of crossfit competition is that so many shapes and sizes can compete in the same event. I think that with the current trend, the best male crossfitter will always be around 5'9" 185# because that offers the greatest balance between pure strength capacity and the ability to compete at body weight movements. The bigger and smaller guys will do well in events biased to their size but the scoring rewards consistency and that will go to the median size. So far there seems to be even more size diversity in the women's field.

If you look at just about any other sport, there is a relatively narrow body type range that can be competitive. Some team sports may have further breakdowns according to position.

Most of my favourite WODs involve a couplet or triplet of movements that play to opposing strengths. Amanda is a great example with a gymnastic movement in the muscle-up paired with a barbell movement with the snatch. Watching the competition you could see a lot of people who were strong at one and weak at the other. Some guys would fly through the MUs and take for ever doing the snatch and others would struggle through the MUs and touch-and-go the snatch. Very entertaining to watch.