CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Pär Larsson

Profile:
Bloody torn hands and bloody barbells at Regionals makes CF look dumb.

Mad respect to those who are competing at Regionals. I don't know if the athletes were allowed gloves/tape/palm protectors or not.

http://games.crossfit.com/features/v...onal-update-12 SFW
There's another video with more of the same bloody hands and barbells from Regionals but I'm having trouble finding it.

This crap with people tearing their hands apart in the name of fitness is just dumb and counterproductive. Tape your hands. Or wear gloves or those gymnastics palm protector dealies for the real challenging pullup/heavy deadlift competitions. For training just adjust your grip. See the several CFJ articles on the subject (not just mine).

Bloody torn hands makes the community look like a cult and makes the people who do that to themselves look stupid. The same people then post pictures of their bleeding hands to show their friends how badass they are.

Is this really the kind of stuff you want to be able to show to your co-workers while saying "Yeah, CrossFit is cool and fun. You should come check it out"? I you want CF to be mainstream, then act like it and make us look presentable.

The only times it's cool to injure yourself and keep going is if someone's life is on the line, you're getting shot at or you're on the last final part of fighting for a world championship. If a workout is such a big deal to you that you're willing to physically injure yourself to complete it, then it should be a big enough deal for you to plan ahead and protect yourself and the community from looking like steroid-breath fools.

COUNTER-ARGUMENT:

"Blood and guts and puking and TRAIN LIKE YOU FIGHT makes us look cool and badass and gives us street cred. Regionals is war."

- Okay, sure. Keep injuring yourself, then. But not at my gym when I'm in charge of a class. I'll tell you to stop and fix yourself and your grip. If you don't I'll kick you out. If you do it at a competition without preparing your hands for a heavy workout that's just dumb.

One last thing - people make mistakes. I do, too. If that's what you did then learn and move on, no worries, this wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the people who knew the risks and didn't prepare, or anyone who thinks bleeding torn hands is cool or we shouldn't let people protect themselves in competitions.

References:
http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/10/...d-pull-ups.tpl SFW
http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/04/...atments-an.tpl SFW
Newgrip.com SFW
http://www.american-gymnast.com/shop...ports-C33.aspx SFW
http://www.ragefitness.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=SCOLLECT186&CatId={DB3F1123-6611-44A4-9912-5623A8FBE90B} SFW
Note that all these grips would not be competition-legal, but gloves should be.

Last edited by Pär Larsson : 05-30-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
David Orr

Profile:
Re: Bloody torn hands and bloody barbells at Regionals makes CF look dumb.

Good post. I agree with you 100%. I am a big believer in putting out 110% in a workout, and I do that to prepare for the challenges of my real world job. That builds mental toughness and helps me to continue when I want to quit. Torn hands do nothing but interfere with my progress.

The truth is, you only make gains while you're training. You regress when you're down with an injury. In an emergency or during competetion, I doubt that I would quit unless the injury was severe, but day to day stuff, no way.

I wear gloves whenever there is a possibility of a hand injury. I do it on the job and I do it in the gym.

Last edited by David Orr : 05-30-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:

I know when I am most likely going to rip in a workout, even if my callus's are maintained I know... 75+ pullups? Probably... triple digit pullups? No doubt. I make sure to make some grips out of tape ahead of time.

But just like puking, sometimes it happens. Fix it and move on, but that doesn't mean it's "cool" or something to strive for/celebrate.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

I saw a lot of torn hands at the Canada West regional especially during the team event with the chest to bars. Apparently the bars were really grippy. One of the guys on our team who can usually get through 100 pullups without tearing, ripped his hands badly. I guess you have to be ready to use equipment you're not used to including being prepared for unusual pullup bars. The excitement and adrenalin is often a factor as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
John McCord

Profile:

@Pär

Like your journal piece on ripped hands. Good mix of humor/info, signature paragraph, or whatever that last paragraph is called, was especially humorous.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
@Pär

Like your journal piece on ripped hands. Good mix of humor/info, signature paragraph, or whatever that last paragraph is called, was especially humorous.

Thanks for the tips.
Hey cheers mate. I just really want this CF stuff to go mainstream (mainly a question of me being interested in seeing more hot healthy athletic women) - and that ain't gonna happen if we act like self-mutilating idiots.

New bars - yes, definitely sometimes. New barbells can be overly grippy. Add some excitement, add people trying to get a death grip to do well for their team, add chest to bars (notorious, everyone wants to be as high and close to the bar as possible) and heavy deadlifts that jar your grip when you bounce at the bottom = bloody mess.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
John McCord

Profile:

Hopefully we'll see more prevention (tape) and less carnage during the next weeks.

Lessons Learned for you Military speaking people out there.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

bloody bars and equipment are a health issue as well. At Oly meets, the meet is stopped until the bar can be adequately disinfected before the next lifter touches it. If any blood is seen on a lifters hands or shins. He/she has to bandage and tape it to eliminate or at least reduce contamination on the bar.

Not so at CF comps. I wouldn't want to lift on someone's bloody bar.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
Charles Applin

Profile:

To be fair, there is $3,000 on the line in addition to a spot to the finals. You kind of left that on the table when you mention the finals of the world championship being one of the exceptions.

These games are points for placement. Unless you go last (and by yourself) everytime, you don't know how well you have to do. Without knowing that, at what point do you ease up? On the other hand, Kristen Clever put it beautifully when she talked about coming off the bar last year (and not going bloody like Thorisdotter) when she said "Dudes, I gotta work tomorrow".

All that said, I don't think the bloody hands and puking should be glorified. Like Marcinko said about being proud of his Purple Hearts that they're markmanship badges for the enemy. It can be a warning and a reminder and maybe admired after the fact but never something you strive for and likely the result of a mistake on your part.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

They had volunteers cleaning all of the bars and equipment between heats with antiseptic at the Canada West Regional. They swapped out a bunch of rings during Amanda as well. The major contamination would have been within a team.