CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #71
Matt Payne

Profile:
Re: Interview with the future UFC MW champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I don't think so. Don't remember where I heard it, but I thought Silva's camp said something about not being interested in moving up to go for the LHW title.

Seems like a good move on his part, since the boys at that weight have the potential to do some serious damage. Staying in a class that he can dominate extends his career length, or at least thats what the thought process is?
The only thing about that is that I think we all know that at some point it won't exactly be Anderson's decision. If he keeps wiping out the competition it really gives little interest to his fights and thus poor box office draw and Dana will not have that. Now maybe he convinces some LHW to go down to middle weight but ...? GSP as an example, knows he needs to move up soon after Shields (assuming he win's) because now we're in fight recycle mode with Jon Fitch maybe the next in line? Or if BJ Penn beats Fitch then BJ/GSP 3??? I don't think so. Business/comp dictates weight class jumps/drops.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #72
Aaron Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
I don't see anyone beating him in striking, good luck getting inside. The best success opponents have had , however short lived, has been wrestlers, or having him on his back (Lutter). I think a great wrestler, who can avoid major strikes has a great chance beating Anderson. Henderson's BJJ is not all that tight as he gave Anderson his back about..oh 3-4 times that fight. I also think a very athletic fighter with lots of gas (wrestler) can wear Anderson down ...
Ummm, I think you just described Jon Jones. Which, by the way, is a fight I'd like to see...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #73
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I don't think so. Don't remember where I heard it, but I thought Silva's camp said something about not being interested in moving up to go for the LHW title.

Seems like a good move on his part, since the boys at that weight have the potential to do some serious damage. Staying in a class that he can dominate extends his career length, or at least thats what the thought process is?
I seem to recall that too. However, I think that was when Machida was champ, and he didn't want to fight his buddy for the title. Now that he's no longerthe champ, perhaps his thoughts are different in the subject.