CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Will Parker

Profile:
BJJ, MMA, CF & O-Lifting

Ok I searched before you tell me to but the threads addressing this are very broad and don't seem to come to any conclusion and just die out; with that said...

A CF Affiliate I can travel to has opened up over here, CF Surrey which is great. What is better is the dude who runs it is a BJJ black belt and is running classes for BJJ and MMA aswell as CF. This is something I have been looking for, for awhile.

I am just not sure how to mix it all together really and would like some advise as I don't want to do too much.

Goal 1.
I would like to take up the mma/bjj as more of a hobby to begin with as I know I enjoy this kind of thing (Currently have a brown belt in jujitsu and have been kickboxing for around 6 months.) And then maybe have a few amateur fights here and there sometime down the road. Looking to get in 2-3 sessions of this a week.

Goal 2
O-Lifting. I have a good O-Lifting coach and enjoy it. I currently go and have 2 O-Lifting sessions a week.

Goal 3
Keep doing CF.

I want my training to be more orientated around the mma/bjj so I figure CF and the O-Lifting will be good for it? But it currently looks like to much

as CF will be mainsite 3 on 1 off then 2 seperate O Lifting sesions and then 2-3 mma/bjj sessions.

Long post sorry but just not really sure how to fit this all in. What do other people find effective in regards to there training. I was thinking of subbing 1 of the CF workouts for bag work etc?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
Gary Lee

Profile:
Re: BJJ, MMA, CF & O-Lifting

Hi Will,

I train at CF Surrey 3-4 times a week, not only CF but also BJJ. I've been training with Steve for about 2 years now and i have to say its a great class with a good crowd of guys.

Not everyone does both CF & BJJ but after a few weeks i was able to do both sessions in one night, Obviously having a break inbetween.

My advice for mixing the 2 together would be trial and error. I've found what works for myself.

Anything you want to know just shoot me a pm and i'd be more than happy to help.

Regards

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Damon Stewart

Profile:

We also have BJJ, MMA, and Crossfit at my affiliate. Most of my fighter's who CF do it 3 days week but train MMA 5x week.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
James lee

Profile:

I personally like to do CF before i train MMA/Kickboxing/BJJ if i do it on the same day. This is mostly because CF workout is my priority right now since i am not a pro. fighter but i also feel like this gives me the best result.

One think i can say for sure is that every time i roll with people, they always comment on how strong i feel...or stronger than i was before (before CF). I credit CF for that.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Dane Grace

Profile:

I'm in a similar situation. I'm training BJJ five days a week (Tues./Thurs. off), and I wanted to do Crossfit Tues, Thurs, Saturday. However, is there a benefit to only CF training three days a week?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

The benefit to training CF 3x a week is you get stronger, more powerful, faster, increase your work capacity, and are able to roll longer and be more explosive. If you want more than that you'd have to go to 4x/week.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
Dane Grace

Profile:

Thanks for the quick response. I understand the benefits of Crossfit and that training more would be better, but I wanted to know if only training three days a week was worth the effort. I'm assuming your answer is "yes, but four days would probably generate better results."

Last edited by Dane Grace : 09-08-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
Will Parker

Profile:

Thanks for the responses. I decided to just keep doing everythingfor now and see how well that goes although dropping the O-Lifting down to once a week. also Got alot of information from Ross E's site and materials in combining all of it together.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

I think one of the obvious references would be The Pit. Hackleman's "CROSSPIT" is definitley geared towards what you are talking about. I was down there in May for a seminar.

The next would be anything related to BJ Penn and his association with CF as well.

At a minimum these (and i know there are others) would fine tune your what you are looking for. www.cathletics.com (WFS) definitley as some info that you would be looking for as well.

www.apitrainingcenter.biz (WFS) another as well.