CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Ryan Ireland

Profile:
Unhappy Paleo Diet + Antibitoics ?

Great way to kick off the open season is with a Sinus infection and flulid in my ears. The doctor prescribed me "Augmentin" 2 day for 10 days which is a penicillin antibiotic.

Quote:
Augmentin contains a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called penicillins. Amoxicillin fights bacteria in the body

So with that being said IM dieting strict Paelo leading up to the open and through as part of my training plan. Do I need to adjust anything in my diet to counter with the antibiotic? I dont drink milk or yogart but do I need something in me while IM on these antibiotics?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet + Antibitoics ?

Why would you want to counter the antibiotic? Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of taking them?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Ryan Ireland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Why would you want to counter the antibiotic? Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of taking them?
Bad wording by me.. Do I need to balance anything out in my diet to make up for the Antibitoics?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Common advice is lay off of acidic stuff, dairy and high fiber. You're probably good on a lot of that with paleo.

If you start getting stomach issues, you might try a probiotic but space it out from when you take the anti.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Ryan Ireland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Common advice is lay off of acidic stuff, dairy and high fiber. You're probably good on a lot of that with paleo.

If you start getting stomach issues, you might try a probiotic but space it out from when you take the anti.
Thanks Jeff - appreciate the help.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ireland View Post
Thanks Jeff - appreciate the help.
No prob. Dairy is the big thing that bugs me when I'm on antibiotics. If you're strict paleo you don't have to worry about that obviously. Also obviously, every body is different. So your mileage may vary!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Make sure you take that stuff after eating, I am pretty sure it says on the bottle to not take it on an empty stomach. I was on Augmentin once and it ripped my stomach to shreds to the point where if I am at the doctor I specifically say that I don't want it. It doesn't happen to everyone obviously but the doc said you definitely want to have food in you when you take it.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Will Seavey

Profile:

You probably won't have trouble with the antibiotic, but people can get an upset stomach/diarrhea. If you really want to stay away from yogurt, you can take a probiotic like Jeff said. They have been shown to reduce chances of a secondary GI infection. I'm a pharmacist and don't bother taking the probiotic, but antibiotics have never really bothered my stomach.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Joe Novak

Profile:

Quote:
Great way to kick off the open season is with a Sinus infection and flulid in my ears. The doctor prescribed me "Augmentin" 2 day for 10 days which is a penicillin antibiotic.

So with that being said IM dieting strict Paelo leading up to the open and through as part of my training plan. Do I need to adjust anything in my diet to counter with the antibiotic? I dont drink milk or yogart but do I need something in me while IM on these antibiotics?

Thanks!
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to supplement some foods that have probiotic cultures in them. Yogurts have them, look for minimally processed with live and active cultures, low sugar, etc...If you really want to avoid dairy, look at miso soup, sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, and olives.

If you aren't noticing any ill effects (mainly diarrhea) you don't necessarily need to worry about it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:

Thanks!
After this protocol of antibiotics is through I would make sure you're really strict on avoiding all the bad things you should on paleo AND take more of a GAPS Protocol in terms of rebuilding the gut flora. So that means making your own bone broth to have a few times a week, eating fermented foods like unpasteurized sauerkraut, kim chi, plenty of fiber. I would also look into considering a soil-based organism probiotic product to really get you back on track. One run of antibiotics can permanently change the gut flora.