CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Jon Hanover

Profile:
Re: HG Rogue vs Competition Bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Jensen View Post
Bill from Rogue say in this YouTube clip, that Competition Bumpers are not great for super high reps CrossFit workouts. But they are used in regionals and games, so I am confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmd220uO0xg
They look cooler. Seriously, that is 95% of the reason. Also, some workouts call for the bar to settle before you start the next rep and the hi temps bounce all over. Especially with the way the games are setup, you want a bunch of athletes with their bars bouncing all over in a close setup? Nope, you want cool color bumpers with low bounce to protect the athletes... not hardly view-able rogue labels on hi temps bouncing all over into athletes legs.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

Does anyone have feedback on Rogue Training bumpers?

These http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-training-bumpers.php Work safe link.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Mike Hollister

Profile:

I have the pendlay version of those. I wish I'd gotten color ones. Kilos too. Live and learn. In then end it's just weight.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
I have the pendlay version of those. I wish I'd gotten color ones. Kilos too. Live and learn. In then end it's just weight.
So the Pendlay Elite and Rogue Training are the same thing? Why would you prefer kilos over lbs?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Rick H Larson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Garcia View Post
Does anyone have feedback on Rogue Training bumpers?

These http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-training-bumpers.php Work safe link.
I have a set of the training (25#, 35#, 45#) and a full set of the color competition (25#, 35#, 45#, 55#) plates from Rogue. They have been great for my purposes. My group of friends and I use them a lot for the Olympic lifts and regularly in met-cons (though we have recently purchased a set of hi-temps for met-con use). The one and only issue I have with them is the steel insert in the centers of the 25#s and the 45#s for the training plates jiggle. The bolts are tightened all the way but there is still a bit of rattling to them. I need to email Rogue to see what I can do about that. It doesn't really detract from their function, it's just an annoyance. These were purchased used from Regionals/Games (meaning no warranty for me) in 2011 so if you get a brand new set you may not experience the same issue. Overall they've been outstanding!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback Rick! I would be the only person using these so I'd like t spend a little more and get something nicer like these.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Garcia View Post
So the Pendlay Elite and Rogue Training are the same thing? Why would you prefer kilos over lbs?
Gyms that use kilo plates - even here in the U.S. of A. - have fewer misloads and their lifters spend less time scratching their heads trying to figure out how much weight is on the bar. I have seen this time and time again. I have worked in Crossfit gyms that have kilos and Crossfit gyms that have pounds. Nothing annoys me more than having three people standing around a bar trying to figure out how to load the stupid thing instead of lifting! Happens all the time in gyms that use pounds, even with experienced lifters. In gyms that use kilos there's a lot more lifting and less screwing around with maths.

Gyms that use color-coded bumpers have even fewer misloads and their coaches can tell from across the room how much is on the bar.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 05-24-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Sounds like mental math is becoming a lost art

Kidding, I've never used kilo plates but I imagine it does streamline things a lot.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #19
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Yeah, I've heard all the counter-arguments and they all revolve around the notion that "oh, it's not so bad." But no one argues that working with 45 lb. plates and 45 lb. bars is easier.

Math is not the 11th component of physical fitness.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
Joey Allen

Profile:

I have 25s and 45s of the Rogue color competition bumpers (about to purchase some 35s) and I have the 10s and 15s in the Rogue HGs.

If you're on a budget, I think the HGs are really some great bumpers for home use (if not using on concrete). I like them much more than I expected. I probably could have saved a bunch and been just as happy with a full set of HGs. I prefer the consistent, quality cosmetics of them over the Hi-Temps, but that's just personal preference. Plus the HGs have grenades on them. Bonus.

The reason I splurged for color comps was b/c I knew I would be using them for many years, and I love being able to check the weight quickly by color to make sure you loaded the correct weight. On the HGs, I ended up drawing on the numbers "10" and "15" with a silver permanent marker so I could easily distinguish them. This is not a problem with the color comps, obviously. The competition bumpers are crazy thin for bumpers. Really, if you plan on ever lifting heavy, buy these. You can fit a bunch on the bar. Also, these color comps are dead sexy, there's no denying that.

I don't drop my weights a ton, but I don't worry about the bounce at all on either of these (I don't drop my 10s or 15s if they are on by themselves). I don't think you have to worry about bounce unless you are getting the hi-temps, which have a higher rebound, from what I hear.

Conclusion: shop for your budget and get to lifting (these refer to the Rogue options, but I would also look at the Pendlay versions, just buy whichever is cheaper at the moment):
-Hi-temps if you lift outdoors ever.
-HGs if you want to save $ and you lift on stall mats.
-Black Training Competition if you want competition style (thinner bumper) but want to save a little over the color comps.
-Color comp if you want no regrets

Last edited by Joey Allen : 05-25-2013 at 10:34 AM.