CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #21
Matt Gant

Profile:
Re: 500m row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
That's correct, Matt. You can do whatever you want with the damper. At competitions I've been at they set it at the same place for everybody before the start and after "3, 2, 1, go" you can move it to where you prefer.
Very well...I did not know that. I assumed they would have everything at a set standard to make it "fair". Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
That's correct, Matt. You can do whatever you want with the damper. At competitions I've been at they set it at the same place for everybody before the start and after "3, 2, 1, go" you can move it to where you prefer.
These were indoor rowing competitions? Or Crossfit competitions? In indoor rowing competitions you're not allowed to change the damper during the race.

A damper setting of "5" on one rower may have a different drag factor than another rower set on "5". But a drag factor of 125, for example, is the same on every rower. At the indoor rowing competitions I've competed in, right before the race you're allowed a minute or so to find your preferred drag factor. Some folks like a higher drag factor, others a lower drag factor. I usually row with a DF around 120-125, heavier guys often go a little higher.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 05-13-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
Jeff Enge

Profile:

CrossFit, sorry for the confusion. Not a competitive indoor rower by any means.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
John Holcombe

Profile:

I had no idea there was "competitive indoor rowing"

Question for you guys - what is your damper setting at? I know Jeff's at a 7 and I'm a similar build to him. I'd like to get some more opinions. I never paid much attention and always assumed higher was better so I think i've always rowed in the 7-9 range

One other question for the rowing experts out there regarding proper form. When I row I sometimes notice at the very beginning of the pull I come up on my toes and then when I get into the pull the weight shifts and I rock back onto my heels. If I don't go up as far I can avoid shifting the weight onto my toes at all but I think I lose a little pulling distance. Anyone else get this and if so what am I supposed to do? Is it bad to have the weight on my toes kind of like with squats and most exercises?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
Rick H Larson

Profile:

I always keep my damper at 5. My fastest 500m is 1:26 but it's been a couple years since I've tested it. I would assume it's faster as my squats have gone up substantially in that time and I pulled a sub 20:00 5k about a month back (about 30 seconds off my PR) without trying to go all out.

John, my heels come up when I approach the front end of the erg and transition to the heel after I pull about 1/3 of the way back. I'm far from an expert but I've had a rower since 2009 and it's never caused much of an issue (other than some sore/cramped calves after some longer workouts). I don't think my legs could ever be flexible enough to keep the heels down for the full movement. If I did limit myself to the pulling range where my heels did stay down the sacrifice to my pull/power would be huge and far from worth it.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
I had no idea there was "competitive indoor rowing"
It's what all serious on-water rowers do in the winter when the water is frozen over. It's more popular than you'd think and it is VERY competitive. We're talking current and former Olympians and Div I scholarship rowing athletes.

At the last event I went to a guy rowed 500 meters at a 1:44 pace -- for an hour straight. That's 500m meters at a 1:44 pace - thirty-four times in a row. Another guy rowed an hour straight at a 1:47.6 pace - and got third place.

Quote:
Question for you guys - what is your damper setting at? I know Jeff's at a 7 and I'm a similar build to him. I'd like to get some more opinions. I never paid much attention and always assumed higher was better so I think i've always rowed in the 7-9 range
Higher not better. It's just higher, like a higher gear on a bike.

Quote:
One other question for the rowing experts out there regarding proper form. When I row I sometimes notice at the very beginning of the pull I come up on my toes and then when I get into the pull the weight shifts and I rock back onto my heels. If I don't go up as far I can avoid shifting the weight onto my toes at all but I think I lose a little pulling distance. Anyone else get this and if so what am I supposed to do? Is it bad to have the weight on my toes kind of like with squats and most exercises?
Shins should go to about vertical and yes the heels might come up a little. If they come up a lot then you have some flexibility to work on.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #27
Shaun wiegert

Profile:

Ok. So I played again on the rower and did a short workout. Again I'm fairly new at this. I checked my drag factor and it was at about 123. I have since adjusted it up to 129. I am 6'1" and 176 lbs. when I did my workout I did 45 on and 15 off for 6 intervals. I maintained a pace of 1:45 at about 22-23 spm. I would have gone farther, but my 17mo girl was getting too close for comfort. I was shooting for 10 intervals. I will work my way up to 20 intervals.

What would be a good pace for this type of workout? Like I said before I upped the drag factor a little bit and should help reduce my spm.

Oh And my butt was getting very sore, more so than anything else.

Last edited by Shaun wiegert : 05-14-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

If your butt's getting sore after just 6 minutes you mostly just need to row more, a little faster each time or a little longer or both.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #29
Alex Romero

Profile:

A 500M row in the neighborhood of 1:35 is excellent, and so is a 2K row around 7:20. Nothing in Crossfit destroys me more than an all out 2K row. I intentionally do not hit the floor after a WOD (just my personal preference), but the 2K row leaves me unable to stand straight for several minutes after
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun wiegert View Post
What would be a good pace for this type of workout? Like I said before I upped the drag factor a little bit and should help reduce my spm.
A good split/pace would be whatever you can do. To keep it simple, try to hold around the same split for all of them, maybe getting a little faster with each one.

I'd recommend finding the drag factor you like through a little trial and error and then sticking with it. I nearly always pick a drag factor of 128 for consistency. That works just fine whether I'm rowing at 16 or 36 spm, and for 250m sprints or a 10k. You don't adjust the spread of your boat very often, and you shouldn't need to adjust the drag on the erg unless you really want an edge in a competition.

You said you rowed at a 22-23 SPM. To that I say "great". Most people jack up their SPM to row fast and hard. Although you can probably row faster at a higher SPM, a good rower can row hard at a low rate too. Your pace at that SPM is excellent. Once you get more meters in and your form gets more solid, you can bring up the rate a bit and see your splits get even lower.

Also, Lincoln's info and advice is spot on. Listen to his posts.