CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
David Lee Alexander

Profile:
Zone Question

I was fairly strict (80/20-90/10) Paleo for about 10 months and loved it but due to family situations was unable/unwilling to continue with it since last January. I still try to eat somewhat Paleo when I have the time but honestly, I fail rather often. I want to adopt a Zone/Paleo plan and force myself to really "watch" what and how much I eat. I am sort of an all or nothing kind of person and taking little steps at a time does not work for me. I understand that a Zone/Paleo plan is eating on the Zone diet while using Paleo foods, but I am completly lost with the Zone diet. I do not understand blocks and macro/micro nutrients or anything like that. I was hoping someone could break it down very easily for me. Kind of like how you would tell a first grader to eat according to the Zone diet. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Zone Question

Zone ratios roughly amounts to 30% of calories from Fat, 30% from Protein, and 40% from carbs. Every food is going to have a different value in terms of blocks based on the grams of the primary macro-nutrient it contains.
So for example meat contains protein and fat, but you would only count it as protein blocks, while nuts contain both protein and fat but count as fat blocks. Because of this many people around here prefer actual weighing and measuring for tracking food, instead of zoning which is closer to estimation and will vary greatly depending on the individual food items you choose to eat.

If you don't know what zone is, or why it is set up a certain way.... why do you want to follow it?

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 10-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Forget zone, just track your food on a site like myfitnesspal (WFS). On myfitnesspal, you can set it up to base your intake calories based on your macronutrient ratios (start with 30/30/40 if you want to mimic zone.) Then, keep it as 'clean' ("Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar") as you can. To keep it simple, just try to avoid added sugars and processed foods as much as possible.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
I was fairly strict (80/20-90/10) Paleo for about 10 months and loved it but due to family situations was unable/unwilling to continue with it since last January. I still try to eat somewhat Paleo when I have the time but honestly, I fail rather often. I want to adopt a Zone/Paleo plan and force myself to really "watch" what and how much I eat. I am sort of an all or nothing kind of person and taking little steps at a time does not work for me. I understand that a Zone/Paleo plan is eating on the Zone diet while using Paleo foods, but I am completly lost with the Zone diet. I do not understand blocks and macro/micro nutrients or anything like that. I was hoping someone could break it down very easily for me. Kind of like how you would tell a first grader to eat according to the Zone diet. Thanks for any and all help.
David, I can relate. I'm an all or nothing type person as well. I have always been a super health nut and have maintained a clean whole foods diet for the past five years. I read about the Zone / Paleo Diet and jumped right in with both feet, full fledged,

Which, I'm extremely happy I did because my performance has gone through the roof, my energy level is up and remains consistent throughout the day, I feel great and my body composition changed dramatically. I love it.

I suggest you research and understand the zone diet before implementing the zone, such as: read Enter the Zone by Dr. Sears and you can also go to the Crossfit journal and obtain a ton of info as well. Its an easy diet to follow once you get into the grove.

This would be a great article found on the CF journal for you to start with
http://journal.crossfit.com/2004/05/...sfit-journ.tpl

Good Luck

-M
Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
David Lee Alexander

Profile:

Thanks guys. I can honestly say that the reason I want to Zone/Paleo is because I have always been told that it is the best nutrition plan for performance and might help with body comp as well. As I said earlier, I am very much an all or nothing person and that goes for food as well. With the Paloe plan not having any real volume limits, I eat more than I should. And I mean a LOT MORE. I can out eat anyone I know and never feel full. I can't remember the last time I actually felt full. So the whole Paleo/Primal premise of eat till you are full doesn't really apply to me. That is why the volume guidlines of Zone, combined with real food eating of Paleo, makes the most sense as far as I can tell. I will start with the articles that y'all recommend and go from there. If anyone has any other thoughts, please chime in. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Buy a used copy of Enter the Zone on Amazon. Both diets work extremely well together in my own experience and those of hundreds of other successful Crossfitters.