CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #121
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
I don't disagree at all. I was simply commenting to the poster who was using a broad brush to paint a picture of what BBers are like. The same thing obviously can be said for CF.
Jesse, you are all over the place in this thread and now you are confusing yourself. I would suggest you slow down on your replies and think before you hit reply.

It started with someone painting a broad stroke against CrossFitters, to which I responded and said bodybuilders shouldn't be pointing any fingers….here is the post to which I responded to:

"My bodybuilding/powerlifting friends hate it because:

- They see kipping pullups as poorly done pullups and ineffective lat builders, to which I reply that isn't the goal.
- They share the Youtube WOD with the worst form they can find and assume everyone sacrifices form for rep count, I tell them thats why there's group instruction.
- They don't see anyone lifting big weights (and they ignore the Robb Orlando/Dave Lipson wods I show them)
- They just hate everything that isn't pure strength.

I challenge them to do the DT wod and none of them take me up on it."
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #122
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Oh, and boot camps which are the most popular form of group fitness nowadays can be "bad" as crossfit is. But the people who survive these faults end up fitter.

But it's the same with anything - parents, college, work - there are a faults
with them all and with the system - it's a matter of finding a way to survive
the faults and get their benefits.

If only were there a short and pithy phrase to describe this phenonoma that
leads to those people who can survive becoming stronger and succeeding

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 10-12-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #123
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Jesse, you are all over the place in this thread and now you are confusing yourself. I would suggest you slow down on your replies and think before you hit reply.

It started with someone painting a broad stroke against CrossFitters, to which I responded and said bodybuilders shouldn't be pointing any fingers….here is the post to which I responded to:

"My bodybuilding/powerlifting friends hate it because:

- They see kipping pullups as poorly done pullups and ineffective lat builders, to which I reply that isn't the goal.
- They share the Youtube WOD with the worst form they can find and assume everyone sacrifices form for rep count, I tell them thats why there's group instruction.
- They don't see anyone lifting big weights (and they ignore the Robb Orlando/Dave Lipson wods I show them)
- They just hate everything that isn't pure strength.

I challenge them to do the DT wod and none of them take me up on it."
Point taken.... The problem with forum boards is the looong pause between thoughts (for me)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #124
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Baker View Post
I had a drop in at my facility recently.

The guy came in 10 minutes late, decked out in compression gear, wrist wraps, the shoes, the whole deal.

Mid-way through the warmup he started coaching my people, saying that they were doing box jumps wrong (I make everyone step down unless they compete). His mechanics were pretty horrible.

Then, once the real workout started he was coaching one of my nationals rower's on how to row. And by coaching I mean yelling at her. Giving her cues that made zero sense.

After one round of the workout, he took his shirt off, threw it across the gym and started flexing his muscles hard (even though he didn't have much).

This continued for 45 minutes.

During our cool-down, he name dropped saying he worked out with famous CF people, Bob Harper, you name it. He blathered on about his fitness and how good it was.

In a nutshell, this was the "CrossFit tool" that everyone knows and gives CrossFit a horrible name. If I were to be associated with that kind of person, I would kick my own ***.

I can see why people outside of CrossFit hate it -- people like that.
This is awesome! This is why I like drop ins. Give me something to laugh at and lighten the mood.

In truth, everything has haters. Apple, Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, Microsoft, Coke, P90X, Zumba, Yoga, etc, etc. Myself included has some.

Personally I take some pride in it. If I found something that no one hated, it's probably something I wouldn't want to be around, and suppose, it wouldn't be around for long either.

Everything is not for everyone.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #125
Erik Knudsen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Because if you can't laugh at yourself others will knock you down a peg.

Still good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2b2x6C5o0

may not be family safe - not in good taste for sure but hillarious
My sides are still hurting from this!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #126
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

I don't know if they hate CrossFiT per se. We as a group do have a tendency to sometimes think that we are cooler than we really are (myself included).

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 10-12-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #127
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I am not hating. Just posting so Matt Thomas can see me pimp my new avatar Smolov brotherhood unite against this tyranny!
It may be time to resurrect teh SMOLOV thread yet again!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #128
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
It may be time to resurrect teh SMOLOV thread yet again!
spoken for truth!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #129
Jose Soriano

Profile:

I don't know if it's too late to jump on this here dog-pile, but from my experience sherdog seems to hate on eeeeeeeeeeeeverything that has to do with physicallity and doesn't conform to their ideals.

They have a wealth of information for numerous things, but heaven help you if you don't follow their structure. I've often lurked on their boards but never joined because they don't want dialogue.

(Is that enough broad generalization? )

To be fair tho, a lot of people have their heads up their bums in a lot of areas, including crossfiters, and a general rule of thumb is people who start to take themselves too seriously eventually look like tards to outsiders, so I can imagine a crossfitter getting a little too into a wod a little too often and looking like a lunatic.

I don't understand the "promoting bad form" thing tho. In my experience form has always been more important, since without it you won't really improve as much as you should, you could hurt yourself or die.

But I guess people lose objectivity when they're passionate, like my hypothetical crossfitter up there. Maybe same goes for sherdog, getting uber passionate about... sherdogging.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #130
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
I don't know if it's too late to jump on this here dog-pile, but from my experience sherdog seems to hate on eeeeeeeeeeeeverything that has to do with physicallity and doesn't conform to their ideals.

They have a wealth of information for numerous things, but heaven help you if you don't follow their structure. I've often lurked on their boards but never joined because they don't want dialogue.

(Is that enough broad generalization? )

To be fair tho, a lot of people have their heads up their bums in a lot of areas, including crossfiters, and a general rule of thumb is people who start to take themselves too seriously eventually look like tards to outsiders, so I can imagine a crossfitter getting a little too into a wod a little too often and looking like a lunatic.

I don't understand the "promoting bad form" thing tho. In my experience form has always been more important, since without it you won't really improve as much as you should, you could hurt yourself or die.

But I guess people lose objectivity when they're passionate, like my hypothetical crossfitter up there. Maybe same goes for sherdog, getting uber passionate about... sherdogging.
It was too late...