CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
Scott Jenkins

Profile:
Re: The Next Chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sedar View Post
thanks for stopping by Scott, it should be a fun journey into crossfit! I haven't felt this challenged in a long time so the PR's and learning should be abundant!

I'm competing in a semi-local Crossfit Competition this saturday just to see what it's all about outside of the gym I train at. I'm trying to convince myself I am not "competing" merely going for fun and soem good workouts but being extremely competitive it should be interersting/humbling.
Thats exactly what you need to do, get straight into the competition, you will find out exactly what needs to be sorted once you experience that.

Have they announced the workouts yet. However much you tell yourself its just for fun, the competitive side will keep churning away in your head, have fun and try to smash it, just think of winning as a bonus.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Michael Givens

Profile:

Thanks for stopping by my log and leaving a comment, Andy! It looks like you're putting up some great numbers here! I'll be following your progress too.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Andy Sedar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
Thats exactly what you need to do, get straight into the competition, you will find out exactly what needs to be sorted once you experience that.

Have they announced the workouts yet. However much you tell yourself its just for fun, the competitive side will keep churning away in your head, have fun and try to smash it, just think of winning as a bonus.
they just closed registration and posted the WOD's. only one thing I am nervous about C2B pullups. 1. because I suck at them and 2. just was at the orthopedic a week ago bc I thought I tore my bicep tendon but it's only tendonitis but pullups hurt like a heck right now....oh well no one said it was easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Givens View Post
Thanks for stopping by my log and leaving a comment, Andy! It looks like you're putting up some great numbers here! I'll be following your progress too.
sounds good! Doin Work!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #14
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
they just closed registration and posted the WOD's. only one thing I am nervous about C2B pullups. 1. because I suck at them and 2. just was at the orthopedic a week ago bc I thought I tore my bicep tendon but it's only tendonitis but pullups hurt like a heck right now....oh well no one said it was easy!
Post the workouts on here, Id be interested to see them and workout if there's any tactics that could help.

With the tendonitus try getting an ice cube and rubbing it on the area, hold it with a tissue and keep taking away the melted water, gets it far colder than normal icing and I find it effective.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
Andy Sedar

Profile:

Quote:
Post the workouts on here, Id be interested to see them and workout if there's any tactics that could help.

With the tendonitus try getting an ice cube and rubbing it on the area, hold it with a tissue and keep taking away the melted water, gets it far colder than normal icing and I find it effective.
HA! yeah I have to get on the icing. I preach it all the time to other athletes...gotta get on it myself.

WOD #1(10 MIN TIME CAP)

IN 10 MIN

RUN 3 LAPS AROUND BUILDING = .93

THEN IN THE REMAINING TIME DO AS MANY OVERHEAD SQUATS AS POSSIBLE.

SCORE = TOTAL OVERHEAD SQUATS(115/75)

-CANNOT SNATCH SQUAT WHEN LIFTING WHEN FROM GROUND TO OVERHEAD.
- MUST START OVERHEAD SQUAT FROM FULL EXTENDED STANDING POSITION.
- HIP CREASE GOES BELOW YOUR KNEE.
- HIPS FULLY EXTENDED AND LOCKED OUT AT THE TOP OF THE MOVEMENT.

WOD #2 (13 MIN TIME CAP)

21-15-9

DEADLIFT (225/135)(WEIGHT TOUCHES GROUND/HIPS EXTENDED SHOULDERS BEHIND BAR)

CHEST TO BAR PULLUPS(MEN)/PULLUPS (WOMEN)(CAN BUTTERFLY OR KIP)

BURPEES(CHEST TO GROUND/HIPS OPEN UP/ JUMP AND CLAP)

WOD #3 - GROUND TO OVERHEAD (12 MIN TIME CAP)

COMPETITORS WILL CHOOSE 1 OPTION. YOU CAN SNATCH/CLEAN AND JERK OR MAKE UP YOUR OWN MOVE TO GET THE WEIGHT UP!

- START WITH WEIGHT TOUCHING THE GROUND.

- BAR TRAVELS OVERHEAD WITH HEAD THROUGH AND JUDGE CLEARLY ABLE TO SEE EARS THROUGH THE SIDE.

- CANNOT BOUNCE THE WEIGHT AND CATCH IN MID AIR.

WOMEN

100 lbs x 50 reps, 85 lbs x 59 reps, 65 lbs x 77 reps, 55 lbs x 91 reps

MEN

155 lbs x 46 reps, 135 lbs x 52 reps, 95 lbs x 74 reps, 75 lbs x 94 reps
Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #16
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

I would love these workouts!! What weight are you going for in the ground to overhead, myself at first look its got to be 135lb, only 6 reps more than 155lb and that would get heavy fast. Remember that with the lighter weights it will be very easy for people to get carried away with extra speed and get some reps knocked for not showing the ear at the top, plus your easily strong enough to smash this workout with 135 or maybe even 155lb although for 6 extra I would go with 135. You can see which of the workouts caught my imagination.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
Andy Sedar

Profile:

Quote:
I would love these workouts!! What weight are you going for in the ground to overhead, myself at first look its got to be 135lb, only 6 reps more than 155lb and that would get heavy fast. Remember that with the lighter weights it will be very easy for people to get carried away with extra speed and get some reps knocked for not showing the ear at the top, plus your easily strong enough to smash this workout with 135 or maybe even 155lb although for 6 extra I would go with 135. You can see which of the workouts caught my imagination.
Yeah I feel pretty good about all of them with the exception of the C2B's...

I was debating at what weight to use for the one you are talking about. I will play around with it tonight. 135 may be the ticket and even mentally a bit easier.

I haven't ran a hard mile since 1999 hahaha but have been logging some milege so it will be a matter of pace and not blowing up the first lap and I'm pretty good with pacing on a run in order not to blow it early on.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah I feel pretty good about all of them with the exception of the C2B's...

I was debating at what weight to use for the one you are talking about. I will play around with it tonight. 135 may be the ticket and even mentally a bit easier.

I haven't ran a hard mile since 1999 hahaha but have been logging some milege so it will be a matter of pace and not blowing up the first lap and I'm pretty good with pacing on a run in order not to blow it early on.
Its a bit late for this comp but changing all your pull ups to chest to bar will help them improve rapidly, me and Nik Nichols on these boards have been doing this for a year and now have c2b's as strong as our normal pull ups was.

Make sure you dont get carried away in the race on that run, I had a similar WOD at the regionals this year, it was 2.5k run then 155lb clean & jerks in the remaining time, I went for it on the run and nearly died on the C&Js. That's still a nasty memory.

135lb is the ticket for sure.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
Andy Sedar

Profile:

Quote:
Its a bit late for this comp but changing all your pull ups to chest to bar will help them improve rapidly, me and Nik Nichols on these boards have been doing this for a year and now have c2b's as strong as our normal pull ups was.

Make sure you dont get carried away in the race on that run, I had a similar WOD at the regionals this year, it was 2.5k run then 155lb clean & jerks in the remaining time, I went for it on the run and nearly died on the C&Js. That's still a nasty memory.

135lb is the ticket for sure.
I said that just a few hours ago at the gym. C2B will be what i do for any pull ups from here on out!!! C2B's won't be impossible but will be the ugly beast holding me back in that WOD....but all the more reason to get better at them for the future

good point on the run. In reality if I can get in from the run and bang out 10 OHS I will be happy. there is a huge difference in banging out ATG back squats with 405 versus OHS with 115....especially since I've OHS maybe 2-3 times in my life. I did a 5k row tonight then OHS'd....the weight's not heavy but keeping form tight and just holding the weight in position overhead is NO JOKE!

for the 3rd WOD I did a little practice tonight and it will be what was said to look like a snatch/muscle up...which according to the rules will be legal. and 135 will be the weight of choice.

So tonight workout was practing for the WOD's with some rowing

2k row
1min rest
1.5k row
1 min rest
1k row
1 min rest
500m row

I wrote the times down but for whatever reason threw it way as I walked out of the gym. I do know to my surprise my 500m was 1:42 and all others were sub 2:00 500m pace...only a few strokes went over 2:00 the entire time which was my goal
Old 12-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #20
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Sounds like your doing everything right to me Andy. Somebody pointed out to me that there was a very similar workout (The GTOH) in one of the sectionals, to be exact it was 'Matt Chans' sectional and he and another guy went for the smallest weight and smashed them out beating everyone who chose the bigger weights easily. You might want to research the sectional and look at the times taken and weights used.

If anyone knows what sectional Matt Chan was in it would be helpful.