CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Micheline Grondin

Profile:
Micheline's Workout Log

Soooo... this is my workout log! Thanks for reading

I've been doing crossfit workouts on my own for about 2 months now. It was going great and I'll admit I'm TOTALLY addicted to everything about crossfit. But! I've recently gone through a 3 week bout of zero motivation (and zero working out) and I need a way to keep with it. Of course it's always the vicious cycle... you miss a few days, you miss a few more, then you feel like you're too far gone and it takes a while for you to hit bottom again. Well, that's where I'm at.

So I've joined the online community and I'm going to post my WODs daily Feel free to comment, leave suggestions, etc! However please understand that there is a reason I'm not teaching myself many lifts- my gym is ill-equipped, I have never lifted weight at all before, I have a spinal disease, and I'm just not comfortable teaching myself without a spotter. I'm currently on the waitlist to get into my local affiliate (fingers crossed for SOON!)

The basics:
20 years old with fairly low history of activity (never joined sports teams, wasn't active in youth, etc)
5'4/135lbs
Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (spinal disease) which I am fighting very hard against by exercising which does a great deal to ease the pain.

Now, I did keep a workout log on paper when I first starting crossfitting, but I feel like I'm opening a new chapter now and I don't feel like typing them all out. So here we go, starting with yesterday:

Oct. 12
3rounds of 21-15-9
Situps
Squats
Pushups

30 skips between each round
Didn't write down my time...

Oct. 13
4 rounds
25 box jumps (18" box)
30 situps w/abmat
10 pullups (50lbs unassisted)

11:38

And then tonight went for an hour long bike ride (wheee fun!!)
Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Micheline Grondin

Profile:
Re: Micheline's Workout Log

Today I did a silly little cardio workout... not really meant to be hard, just to keep moving...

I'm going to do a full fitness assessment at my boyfriend's school tomorrow (he needs to assess someone for a class) so I'm conserving my energy for max pushups, etc!

3 rounds
250m row
500m sprint

Didn't time it, forgot my stopwatch and as I said- it wasn't meant to be too hard.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Nice to see you starting to post a log! That will help you stay motivated.

Also, regarding the lifts - you might want to pick up some PVC. There are some really great resources here to get you in good form, and if you have a video camara you can take advantage of the digital coaching on the boards here.

Even if you ONLY use the PVC because you're worried about weights without a spotter, you can get the form down and that's a workout in and of itself. I did some research on Ankylosing Spondylitis, and it looks like you're in a similar position as I was 8 years ago - slow movements with a PVC pipe to get the form down may actually do more good for YOU than moving weights anyway, because it's going to increase your flexibility in a similar way to Pilates or Tai Chi. You'll be moving your body in ways that are not familiar to you, which will open up some of the joints and give you some stretching in areas that may be tight and holding pain. Definitely something to think about - and the advantage of that is that you can probably do those at home, without having to brave the odd looks of the others at the gym!

And of course, on those days where you're finding motivation difficult to, well, find, then you have your trusty PVC to help. Most of all, just keep going. And don't compare yourself to what other people are doing, or what gains they're making and how fast they're improving. As Nik reminded me recently - what you're doing is more than just getting fit. You're getting healthy too, and that's gonna take some time. But you'll get there! And then you'll do this:
Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Awesome! My gym has various broomsticks/bars/etc that I'm sure I can find something to use. I never thought of doing the technique without the weight... DOH!

Anyways... today after my fitness test (which consisted of random step-ups/pushups/etc which are hardly worth mentioning)

Tonight I did a quick workout (turns out the gym closed an hour earlier than I'd thought):

3 rounds
25 good mornings with 10lb bar
25 pushups
15 sdhp (only used 40#)
20 walking lunges

9:53
Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Today was a rest day

So I did a pretty simple mobility WOD; some rom work with my ankles, worked out some back nasties with lacrosse balls (taped together- then roll on them. Try it- it feels amazing!) and some light dynamic stretching.

Ready for a good WOD tomorrow!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Boy oh boy is my butt sore today! Walking lunges I guess. Decided to do some Barbara today but in light of some general soreness I cut it to 3 rounds and only 1 min rest between rounds.

20 pullups (assisted by gravitron of 60 lbs)
30 pushups
40 situps
50 squats

My times were:

Round 1- 5:14
Round 2- 5:44
Round 3- 5:49
Total- 18.07 including rest

Does anyone have advice about working out while sore? Today wasn't too bad but it's happened before where I was sore enough that I was worried it would affect my form. If you're dead sore after a workout, do you take an extra rest day? Do an easier workout? Push through the pain?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

For me, a lot depends on the type of sore.

There's a "sore" where I know I'm going to feel it tomorrow, but that feels like muscles developing. When I get that type of sore, I push through and work out tomorrow if it's my schedule.

There's a "sore" where I know I'm going to feel it tomorrow, and I know that if I do something similar tomorrow, I'm not going to recover very well. Where I can feel that my performance is deteriorating. I usually push through those, but then the following day I make sure I'm doing something different, to give those overworked muscles a bit of rest. Or I scale the next day a little more severely than I would if I were fresh.

Then there's a "sore" where I know I'm going to go home and sleep until tomorrow, and I just have no ability to do anything else. On those, sometimes I push through, sleep until tomorrow, and take a rest day (or sometimes two). That is NOT RECOMMENDED - at least not by me. What I should do - and what I manage to do sometimes - is to stop and move on to something else, or just stretch and relax and call that a good WOD.

Your situation is going to be different from others because you are also battling a disease. MOST important is learning your own limitations, and how your body is going to respond. You should listen to your body until you could tell someone else the different types of sore your body is going to feel, and how you work around them. Until that point, I would strongly recommend you push until you're out of your comfort zone, and then if you're not SURE that you'll be ok tomorrow, I'd stop.

It's a tricky thing, because you don't want to always stay in your comfort zone - because then you won't improve. But if you push too far, you risk setting yourself back, which is all bad.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Micheline Grondin

Profile:

Thanks Shannon I'm already pretty familiar with my different types of soreness, I've just never really been sure what to do about it. And you're right- the hardest part is knowing how far out of your comfort zone you can go before it'll set you back too far. I guess I'll just do some trial and error! Hopefully not too much error
Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Best advice I can give you regarding pushing is pretty much: Don't be me.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Fern Webb

Profile:

Micheline,

Check your private message box