CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Seen in Public today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
You've obviously never been in OU's parking garage. If I waived them off they'd probably take it as an insult and start honking and leap out of there car for a fight. College students get mean when it comes to parking.

So you're saying it's wrong when I'm on a 2 lane highway and I'm going 10 over already and some jerk flies up on my bumper wanting to go 100 mph and rides my tail I shouldn't get next to the car in the slow lane going 5 under and match their speed so he can't get around and has to go slow?
as opposed to leading them on for 15 minutes and making them think they're getting the spot? clearly waving them off would leave them more ****ed off.

and what exactly are you asking in your second paragraph? if you're in the left lane and somebody is coming up behind you, you absolutely SHOULD switch lanes whenever it's safe to and deal with the slow car until fast car A passes. THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED THE PASSING LANE!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #22
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
So you're saying it's wrong when I'm on a 2 lane highway and I'm going 10 over already and some jerk flies up on my bumper wanting to go 100 mph and rides my tail I shouldn't get next to the car in the slow lane going 5 under and match their speed so he can't get around and has to go slow?
I'm not 100% following you, but the left lane is a passing lane. In some states its either illegal or greatly discouraged to "cruise" in the passing lane.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #23
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
I'm not 100% following you, but the left lane is a passing lane. In some states its either illegal or greatly discouraged to "cruise" in the passing lane.
Not here. You can drive in the left lane all you want as long as you're going the speed limit. Slower traffic is supposed to stay right, IE slower than the posted maximum speed.
But if I'm already going 80 in a 70 zone in the fast lane and someone wants to go 100 and is jumping up on my bumper, then no I'm not getting over. It's usually some redneck in his giant pick-up truck or teenager in his souped up Honda. I'm not going to get out of the way so they can go as fast as humanly possible.
On top of that the reason they're on my bumper is because the lane next to us is filled with cars and they couldn't get around me. Which means I can't get over either.
On top of that rather than recognizing this situation and slowing down because they know I can't get out of the way they jump on my bumper thinking I'm going to go an incredibly dangerous speed just so they can get where they're going faster because by god they drive a big truck/loud honda and they have to go fast!
Screw those people.

*PS* They don't follow me for a long time in the parking garage. Because I always get off the stairs or elevator on the floor I'm going to. So it's less than a 2 minute walk to my car. If I said it takes longer earlier then I apologize because that was not correct. I don't walk up the parking ramps to get to the floor my car is on and have them follow me up each ramp!
And one time I did turn around and try to wave a guy off and he flipped me off and sped off.

Last edited by Jason R O'Dell : 03-04-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #24
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
It is people like you that MAKE those folks so f***ing stressed out. Aiming for and revelling in their aggravation makes you just as bad if not worse than they are themselves.

Does it really take too much effort on your part to wave these people off if you're not leaving, or point to the other row if you know your car's over there? alleviate some of their stress by being courteous and kind and renewing their faith in human decency, would you? Jesus

You are right. But like everyone else I find that it is dorky to try for a good spot in a parking lot to walk arround for at leas 1/2 an hour. That being said I take what ever spot I can.
I will help poeple get my spot if it is ever a good one. I really don't care about it. and if it helps someone even a bit have a batter day then good. There is enough stress out there with out me adding to it more.

Quote:
You've obviously never been in OU's parking garage. If I waived them off they'd probably take it as an insult and start honking and leap out of there car for a fight. College students get mean when it comes to parking.

Regardless of other drivers manners the left lane is the passing lane, if you are going faster then the car in front of you the left lanes is there for passing, then when it is possible to get back over , get back over or atleast get over when someone going faster then you comes up.

No offence, but it is not you job to police other drivers and you are putting people at risk at your annoyance.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #25
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I don't know if this fits here in the thread, but I see a billboard everday that has a dozen donuts on it and has a slogan''Donuts, the sixth food group.'' That just kills me. Really, REALLY?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #26
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Rutherford View Post
Me: (figuring he's never heard of CF) I want it for weight lifting. DL, PP. Snatches...
SP: "No, see you need all the cushion you can get. You will mess your feet up if you dont have as much as possible and if you lift heavy see if your gym has mats your can lift on too"
I understand recommending cushioning for running, as the vast majority of Americans are heal-strikers; but recommending more cushioning for lifting is absurd. Lifters knew about the benefits of non-compressable soles many years ago. I was recently looking at champion lifters from 30-50 years ago. Many were lifting in loafers, sandles, or barefoot. Lack of cushioning for running goes against accepted practice. Likewise, cushioning for lifting goes against years of accepted practice. The comment about the flooring reinforces his lack of knowledge, as lifting platforms have been made of wood for more years than I know and I've yet to see a squat rack that hasn't had a solid floor beneath it.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #27
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Regardless of other drivers manners the left lane is the passing lane, if you are going faster then the car in front of you the left lanes is there for passing, then when it is possible to get back over , get back over or atleast get over when someone going faster then you comes up.

No offence, but it is not you job to police other drivers and you are putting people at risk at your annoyance.
I guess you'd have to drive on the busy highways here. If I'm doing interstate travel where it's not busy then I absolutely stay in the right lane and only use the left to pass.

In the busier sections of highway around Moore, OKC, Norman, Edmond, etc. the highway is a different animal and nobody uses the left lane to pass. Plus both lanes are usually so full of people (and when there's a third lane it's the same way) that it's impossible to do the "drive in the right lane, pass, drive in the right lane, pass" thing. I guess you'd just have to drive here. Trust me, it's impossible to spend all your time in the right lane and then only use the left to pass in the city.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #28
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
I guess you'd have to drive on the busy highways here. If I'm doing interstate travel where it's not busy then I absolutely stay in the right lane and only use the left to pass.

In the busier sections of highway around Moore, OKC, Norman, Edmond, etc. the highway is a different animal and nobody uses the left lane to pass. Plus both lanes are usually so full of people (and when there's a third lane it's the same way) that it's impossible to do the "drive in the right lane, pass, drive in the right lane, pass" thing. I guess you'd just have to drive here. Trust me, it's impossible to spend all your time in the right lane and then only use the left to pass in the city.
i live in BOSTON. having been to OKC and experienced your pathetic claims of a rush hour, there's really no excuse. if people manage to do it in the Tri-State area and Boston, people can do it in OK
Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #29
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:

I totaly understand, I drive the ''High 5'' in Dallas. I understand congusted traffic. I also understand not being able to stay in the left lane. I drive fast. I love fast cars.(80's 90's for small streches) But I am watchful of others. (I'm not saying you are not, I'm just stating my driving)
I will and do pass all the time. I do drive in the left lane some till someone faster comes up. I do not like tailgaters, I get just as mad. But I let it go I let them go.
I don't know about Ok. police but the Police here target the drivers in the left lane, if you are speeding the left lane is not a good place to be. Just saying.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #30
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i live in BOSTON. having been to OKC and experienced your pathetic claims of a rush hour, there's really no excuse. if people manage to do it in the Tri-State area and Boston, people can do it in OK
Well nobody does it. Sorry. I'm not doing anything different than every other driver in the entire state by hanging out in the left lane. It's not called the passing lane here. It's called the fast lane. I only ever hear the term "passing lane" from out of state people. I've never heard an Oklahoman call it anything but the fast lane.
And like I said I only do it when they fly up on my bumper because I'm not going an ungodly speed when they see I clearly cannot get over.