CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Seen in Public today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
This reminds me somewhat of all the people out there that drive around a parking lot for 15 minutes looking for a "close" spot, when they could have immediately parked maybe 50ft further away and walked right into the store. Why spend all that time driving around to save yourself 50ft of walking? WHY!?
A study (for which I'm too lazy to find the link) found that parking lot behavior is a good measure of stress. The people who drive around for 15 minutes trying to find The Closest Space are generally much more stressed out than the people who just take the first reasonable spot. (Though not as stressed as the people who follow pedestrians to their cars.)

Katherine
Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
A study (for which I'm too lazy to find the link) found that parking lot behavior is a good measure of stress. The people who drive around for 15 minutes trying to find The Closest Space are generally much more stressed out than the people who just take the first reasonable spot. (Though not as stressed as the people who follow pedestrians to their cars.)
Katherine
i do this and i believe it.

Last edited by Renee Lee : 03-03-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: usually only during the christmas season. i HATE malls
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

What's even worse is when traffic is held up on an aisle because someone is sitting there waiting for someone to back out. Unfortunately that person is just now opening their trunk to load groceries! And they have 5 kids that need to be buckled in to car seats and what have you! And you don't realize that this person is waiting for that spot until you turn down that aisle and now you're trapped by the line that quickly developed behind you! I hate that.

In college parking was pretty limited on campus. Everyone wanted to park in the parking garage but it filled up fairly quickly. I remember I'd always go to my car to put up my jacket in the spring. Because in Oklahoma it's cold in the morning and then hot in the afternoon in the spring. And I'd always have someone slowly following me hoping to take my spot. Then I'd open my back door, throw my coat in and then walk off. 9 times out of 10 the person following me would peel out in a childish fit of rage.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D Hamilton View Post
"Oh yeah? Well, the Jerk Store called, and they're running out of you."
A George classic. Well played, sir.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Not to mention they will no doubt spend the next hour+ or so walking around the mall or whatever... so whats the big deal with adding an extra 45 seconds of walking in the parking lot?
It's the same reason why some women don't want to use dumbells over 5 or 10lbs but will carry heavy shopping bags filled to the brim up and down the mall..

I wish I could tell them that they just kicked my *** in farmers walks.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #16
Briggs Willoughby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
This reminds me somewhat of all the people out there that drive around a parking lot for 15 minutes looking for a "close" spot, when they could have immediately parked maybe 50ft further away and walked right into the store. Why spend all that time driving around to save yourself 50ft of walking? WHY!?
Wanna here something crazy? I see people doing this in the parking lot of my gym!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #17
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:

Katherine
hehe, I'm a reason for that. Back in my younger years my friends and I would wander around like we were looking for our car in the parking garage, getting drivers to follow us. Usually we did this during the holidays.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #18
Jason Olney

Profile:

Quote:

Katherine
I like to walk down one aisle away from my car then cut over so they have to drive around if they want my spot. I know, I'm such a jerk
Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #19
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
What's even worse is when traffic is held up on an aisle because someone is sitting there waiting for someone to back out. Unfortunately that person is just now opening their trunk to load groceries! And they have 5 kids that need to be buckled in to car seats and what have you! And you don't realize that this person is waiting for that spot until you turn down that aisle and now you're trapped by the line that quickly developed behind you! I hate that.

In college parking was pretty limited on campus. Everyone wanted to park in the parking garage but it filled up fairly quickly. I remember I'd always go to my car to put up my jacket in the spring. Because in Oklahoma it's cold in the morning and then hot in the afternoon in the spring. And I'd always have someone slowly following me hoping to take my spot. Then I'd open my back door, throw my coat in and then walk off. 9 times out of 10 the person following me would peel out in a childish fit of rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
hehe, I'm a reason for that. Back in my younger years my friends and I would wander around like we were looking for our car in the parking garage, getting drivers to follow us. Usually we did this during the holidays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Olney View Post
I like to walk down one aisle away from my car then cut over so they have to drive around if they want my spot. I know, I'm such a jerk
It is people like you that MAKE those folks so f***ing stressed out. Aiming for and revelling in their aggravation makes you just as bad if not worse than they are themselves.

Does it really take too much effort on your part to wave these people off if you're not leaving, or point to the other row if you know your car's over there? alleviate some of their stress by being courteous and kind and renewing their faith in human decency, would you? Jesus
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #20
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

You've obviously never been in OU's parking garage. If I waived them off they'd probably take it as an insult and start honking and leap out of there car for a fight. College students get mean when it comes to parking.

So you're saying it's wrong when I'm on a 2 lane highway and I'm going 10 over already and some jerk flies up on my bumper wanting to go 100 mph and rides my tail I shouldn't get next to the car in the slow lane going 5 under and match their speed so he can't get around and has to go slow?