CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Shane Lawrence

Profile:
Shane's "I'm not really doing crossfit" log

History and Motiviation:
38yo, ex-military. Been in computer software for 12 years. Used to be hard, lean and mean. Started enjoying some of lifes comforts, got soft and doughboy. Now have 3 kids and want to get down to "fighting wieight" again, for my health and for preparedness. Heres the kicker: I love adventure sports, and had 3 fractures in 2008.

I needed to loose the weight, and fast.

Fractures were right wrist in Febuary, right ankle/foot in July, and left Tibia (tibial plateau) on New years day 2009.
Weight was as high as 265 last October, I'm 6'0" with what I consider a medium to heavy build (52" chest, 19" neck)
Goal weight (fighting weight) is around 205.
I started Physical Therapy and a 1800 cal diet three days after the Tibia fracture and have worked out 5-7 days a week since. Current weight is stuck, plateaued at 223, for about the past 5 weeks. I migrated my workouts to a crossfit method last Tuesday, the 30th of June. Not so obsessed about the weight as gaining a bit of my strength and agility back, But theres still probably 35 pounds or more to come off.
Workouts are between 4:45 and 6:30 am.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Shane Lawrence

Profile:
Re: Shane's "I'm not really doing crossfit" log

Stuck on a plateau:
Around mid-April the weight was coming off fast, probably TOO fast. I was done with physical therapy, but still had a long way to go in strength and agility. Stamina was good. I was running when my knees and the weather would allow, Using an eliptical when they did not. I had cut down to a 1500 cal diet, being strict about it, and not having many problems with hunger or cravings. I had hit a long-time low weight of 219.

On a Saturday Morning I was feeling pretty fit and badass, and did a 4 mile run, with a 90 pound pack, in 65 minutes. It felt good, I had more in me. I went home, excited, my ex-marine father was visiting, my wife very proud of her not-so-fat man anymore. I drank 1.5L of water,

and forgot to eat breakfast.

Just before lunch, my sugar bottomed out, I almost passed out and started dry heaving. I got some orange juice, and a normal lunch. And felt better, but just off.

I gained 12 pounds in that single day.

My military doctor said I put my body into starvation mode. Lost too much weight, to fast, and my body thought I was starving, so it hung onto EVERYTHING. I managed to drop the weight again abotu 10 days later, but have stabilized at 223. No matter how much/little I eat, no matter how hard I work, I cant get back under 220. Been stuck here for about 6 weeks.

Decided to change up my woulouts, and not be so focused on fat and weight, and get some of my strength and agility and speed back. mentioned this to mY brother-in-law, he mentioned crossfit and a few friends of his had been doing it.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Not crossfit:
So I looked into it. Sounds like my old military workouts, I can do those, right?
I dont have any equipment that you cant get at Home Depot. Looked at Ava's "on the road" workouts, and other bodyweight workouts. have devised a plan to follow along some of these but tailor them to me, my fitness level and equipment. I do actually have a few pieces of equipment. "Perfect Pushup" rotating handle set, and a large Yoga ball.
Excercise descriptions are as follows:
==============
Flutter Kicks: 4x flutter kicks (1-2-3-1, 1-2-3-2)
Situps - A technique i had used before, reinforced on this site, put your heels and soles of you feet together, reach up with your flat hands to touch your toes.
Tabata Pushups - hands on the ground, military style as fast as I can.
"Perfect" Pushups - Pushups using the "perfect pushup" handles, requireing you to go lower and rotate your wrists. I feel their significantly harder than normal ones.
L-Sits - Using the perfect pushup handles, lift your butt, then your feet off the ground and hold it for the time specified.
Handstand pushups - probably not the best form, as I put my back towards the wall, go into a handstand, and then over the tipping point till my heels tough the wall. Sometimes with the perfect pushup handles, sometimes without. (my wife is getting ****ed about the scuff marks on the wall out of her reach...)
Burpees - Squat-pushup-squat-stand = 1
Yoga-ball Crunches - Crunches sitting on a Yoga ball. Hard to explain, but controlling the ball when you go back down is where the work is.
Pullups - underhanded, (fingers pointing towards you) from full arm extension, bar to chin, back to full extension.
Jumping Muscle ups - pullup bar is 12-14 inches out of reach. Jump to it, pull up, transition elbows from bottom to top, push up, bars now at your waist. slowly back down, transition, down, and drop. Thats 1.
Sumo lifts - Cinderblock in each hand, from waist to chest/chin, using the upper arms, elbows bent.
Military press - Cinderblock in each hand, from shoulder up to full extension, back down.
Hollow Rocks - Found them here, never done them before, LOVE THEM!
Leg Lifts - 3 directions, laying on back, left and right side.
Step-ups - step up 8-10 inches onto an unstable surface. My Physical therapist had a half a yoga ball, a pile of dirty cloths works almst as well =) 3 directions, forward with each leg, sideways left and sideways right.
Lunges - 3 directions again, forward with each, then to the left, then to the right.
Heel/toes - stand on tip-toes, then rock back to heels lifting your toes. Should simulate the heel-toe action of snowboarding. Time duration is how much time spent on each surface before transitioning.

Due to the bad knees and lack of cartiledge in them, I dont run anymore. ALL RUNS are actually on an eliptical trainer. Sprints are at zero resistance, full resistance simulates a 90 pound pack. A pedometer is used for distance tracking.

Last edited by Shane Lawrence : 07-07-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Before I start listing my workouts. Let me put out there I wouldnt put this on the web if I wasnt open to constructive critism. If you have better excercises, suggestions, or just want to say "THATS NOT CROSSFIT" go right ahead!
================================================== =======================

Workout 1 - Just warming up
=======================
20 Flutter kicks
20 Tabata Pushups
20 Tabata Squats
L-sits - 5 seconds x2
5 Handstand Pushups
200 Meter Sprint

Repeat 3 times.
========================
Got halfway through 2ed rotation, puked, finished anyways.
Purpose was to find my limits with this typoe of a workout.
Am I too old for this?

Last edited by Shane Lawrence : 07-07-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 2 - Im not <THAT> old
=====================
Run 200M, full resistance
10 perfect pushups
50 ball crunches
15 burpees

Repeat 3 times
======================
No sweat. A light one.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 3 - "Rest when your dead"
(crossfit WOD was a day of rest, I said nah, Ill rest when im dead)
==================================================
L-Sits - 10 seconds x5
10 Flutter Kicks
25 Situps
25 ball crunches

Repeat 5 times.
======================
Core strength
Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 4 - I need to run more
======================
Run 1.5 miles for speed.
======================
Completed in 14:13
Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 5 - Independence day 2009
==========================
10 pullups
10 handstand pushups
5 jumping muscleups
10 sumo lifts - cinderblock
10 military press - cinderblock

Repeat 5 times
===========================
Upper body Strength.
My arms and shoulders are still sore, but the good kind of sore. 3 days later...

Last edited by Shane Lawrence : 07-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 6 - Moguls in July
A collection of skiing/snowboarding strength excercises, with some things my last physical therapist recommended for knee and ankle strength and stability.
=============================
25 leg Lifts
25 step-ups
10 Lunges
Heel-toe - 5 seconds x25
run 200 M full resistance

Repeat 3 times
===============================
had to be carefull the rest of teh day, as my knees and ankles felt weak and shakey.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 7 - I hate mondays after 3 day holiday-payday-weekends
===============================================
Day of rest.