CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Student Loan Forgiveness

Wrong thread lol!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Charlotte G Mann

Profile:

The UK used to have free education. I believe it still is in Scotland.
I landed some pretty heavy student loans... as much as I didn't like paying up, they did wait till I was earning enough to pay them back, so as debts and loans go....

They're not my worst.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Kelly Sabey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Loans are taken by choice. If you take a loan expect to pay it back. If an employer or someone of the like offers to pay some of it or all of it as a condition of your employment, why not? If you want forgiveness because you took too much out, you did it to yourself. There are alternative options to your short sighted decision making. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who take loans and then complain they have too much debt. No one made you take them. If you aren't paying your debt, someone is somewhere.
The issue (especially with teachers) is that in most states it is a requirement to have (at least) a masters level education before you can teach beyond a certain grade level. So they're spending +/-$100K for a degree and then making about $50K/year coming out of it. Keep in mind, interest rates for graduate student loans don't have the same structure as undergraduate, and begin accruing interest (about 7%) as soon as they're dispersed. So not only are students paying for the education, they're paying the government to let them pay for their education WHILE they're being educated.

I'm all for paying back what you owe, but loans and loan forgiveness programs aren't as black and white as everyone makes them out to be.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I fully understand. I am required to get a doctorate and will be. My point is, have a plan to pay your loans. It comes down to people crying about their debt when they never had a plan on how it was going to get paid in the beginning. If you want to do something bad enough and know you aren't getting paid bank to do it, then you have to decide if it is in the cards for you or find an alternative method to pay such as grants, working a temporary job to get some of your costs down etc. Again, you decide the debt is worth it then take the loan so you need to think about how you are paying it back. 100k for 6 years of school can be reduced by paying some tuition while going to school, grad assistance programs, etc. There are always ways to work things down it just depends how driven you are among a host of other variables.