CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
Joshua Hass

Profile:
how much time are we resting b/t sets? i'm assuming as long as we need as it appears to my newbish self that it's an ME type of day. also, are we doing just straight, no BS reps that we are able to complete on our own w/o jumping, kipping, assisted reps,etc.? thank you in advance to all the respond...

Old 09-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
IMO
rest as long as you want, but resting too long will cool you off too much. I usually am in the 1-3min range for my best results

I think most do kipping pull ups. I beleive when other pullups are called for they would be specified / described as deadhang, L-pullups, weighted pullups etc.

Unless otherwise described "kipping" is the default pullup.

That being said those that cannot do the workout as RX'd would be expected to scale, and may be doing jumping or band assist pullups.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Joshua,

It will depend on the WOD, as most are just keep going and take your breaks when you need them. For the strength based ones it should be in the 1-2min range. Don't wait too long or you lose the metabolic conditioning affect of the workout.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Ian Carver

Profile:
Josh-On ME days such as today, I will take only 1 minute off between sets. This gives me just enough time to get repositioned, get the stars out of my eyes, and get some blood back into my quivering limbs. On days where the movements are a bit more technical and dependent upon clean form from start to finish (snatch, clean and jerk, heavy DL's,), I will take up to 2 minutes, but usually no more.

As for reps, I do them straight through to failure. Rest, then go again. The numbers will fall off pretty quickly and then you may plateau for the remaining sets. I choose to do dead hang, palms facing me pull ups for my workouts. As Craig said, if you need to scale them to get the best out of your WOD, then do so, but if not, just go until you can't go anymore. Take care and stay fit.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:
My standard for ME days, which Lynne qualifies as, is to take three minutes between sets(rounds in this case).

There is a technical reason for this, but my brain doesn't want to get into it right now.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
If I do sets in the form of 5-4-3-2-1-1-1-1-1 or similar, I will take progressively more time between sets as weight is added. First sets might be just enough time to add more weight on the bar, last sets might be 3-5 minutes.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Apologies for jumping on this thread but similar questions from another NooB.

I have found that I was pretty consistent with my numbers this time round, e.g. went 19,17,71,15,14 on the Pull Ups. Is this normal or does it imply that I'm not putting everything in on the first sets? felt better as time went on but failed at the same place each time. (dead hang PU's by the way)