CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I don't know if this should be in the Injuries section or here because I've just got the form wrong. But when I do L-pullups, knees-tucked pullups, or either chin variation, at the bottom it feels like a tendon in my right shoulder is rubbing wrong or something. This absolutely never happens doing regular pullups/chins with or without kipping. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm somehow not keeping my body at the proper angle?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Keeping your legs out in front of you forces the shoulder into a different position at the bottom. It's possible there's some flexibility to gain here. Is it hurting or just feel strange? Also as you get stronger your rotator cuff will be able to position your humerus better and these little things will go away.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I'd say it does kind of hurt. Not really painful but clearly something is wrong. It's sort of at the level where I didn't want to go to a deadhang partially because it hurt and partially because of the fear that doing so might cause an injury. Maybe I'd describe it as the tendon(?) was popping back and forth over a bone. I'm really bad at describing these things. I do seem to have weak shoulders so maybe you're right and they just need to get stronger.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Take it easy in the mean time. Work some regular slow pull ups into your routine. When you do the slow pull ups try to keep your body hollow
http://www.drillsandskills.com/image...ath=hollow.jpg

while you do them. This will work the same positions as the L pullup without as much load. If it does hurt, or you feel things getting any worse ease off on those excersizes that aggrevate it. Start doing some shoulder rehab stuff for your rotator.
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/maint

look under the shoulder section.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
Mark, I felt soemthing very similar to what you described when I did the L-pulls yesterday. If I'd drop to a dead hang with my legs out in front of me my right shoulder felt... loose? Like something was about to pop out of place :-(

I have slight problems with this shoulder doing things like heavy presses overhead as well. I think I might have injured it as a child and it's just weaker than my left shoulder.