CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #881
Hew Fung

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hew Fung View Post
Cycle 3 is complete with mixed results. This time I did box squats, DL, bench press, and power cleans, with HR sets for everything except the box squats. I tested back squat, DL, and standing press at the end of last week. I did not take time off to specifically train for my 10 mile race but managed to do pretty well anyway.

Started 3/15/10, Finished 4/23/10
Weight - 170ish (unchanged)

Squat - Failed to increase from 1x280 to 1x290
DL - Finally got my formed mostly nailed down and slowly built the weight back up to a max set of 5x275. 1RM not tested.
Bench Press - Didn't test 1RM, but went from 5x185->5x205
Power Clean - Didn't test 1RM, but went from 5x160->5x180,3x190
Press - 145 -> 155!

Fran - Shaved off a modest 15s to put me around 6:25. Still not great, but at least I'm improving.

I'm bummed about my failure to PR in squat, but that maybe be due to starting out pretty easy on the box squat loads or maybe not doing them correctly. Maybe it was just an off day, I dunno. On the other hand, I'm thrilled with my new press PR. I failed to get 157.5 but I'm certain I could nail it, or maybe even 160, with targeted warmups sets (I was just going for 150). Press is easily my best lift now according to Rip's WL Standards. It almost seems too good to be true. Now if I could just get my squat and DL numbers in the same range...

I'll probably do another cycle of box squat, DL, bench, and PC before reevaluating and mixing it up again.
Cycle 4 done

Started 4/26/10, Finished 6/4/10
Weight - 170ish (unchanged)

Squat - Not tested
DL - Continued to progress after fixing form. 5x280->5x295
Bench Press - Didn't test 1RM, but went from 5x205->4x220
Power Clean - Didn't test 1RM, but went from 5x180,3x190->5x185,3x200. I seem to be stalled here.
Press - 155->160!

The press PR was probably the hardest rep I've ever pulled off. I nearly passed out from the effort and barely had enough control to lower the bar, which hit the ground pretty hard. 160 puts me above the "Advanced" rating according to Rip's table, which doesn't seem quite right, but I'll take it. I'm glad to be bringing my DL numbers up slowly while really focusing on form. Power cleans seem to be stalled, but I think that it's largely a function of my technique, which needs work. I've gotten pretty sloppy, catching the bar low on the chest and probably pulling with my arms too much.

I have a feeling that my box squat technique needs a lot of work. My squat PR from several months ago is 5x250, 1x280, but when I did a "see how it feels" set of 5x225 last week I did not feel very strong at all. I'm afraid that my box squatting for the past 12 weeks has been for naught and that as a result my squat may have actually regressed a bit.

Next up, a rest week, then back to CFSB as rx'd (BS/DL/Pr/FS) for at least 6 weeks, with the possible exception of front squat which I might sub out.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #882
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
Your right Jay its not rocket science that's why every gym has multiple 16 year olds jumping 60 inch box jumps, 14 year olds deadlifting 360 and 17 year olds high jumping 7'. Pretty sure its not rocket science, in fact I would say its genetics given all the backwoods in breeding that goes on in our small town.
ummm, really? I love this reply. Thanks.

I'll stick to the track and field coaches that get success with numerous athletes over the course of the sport's history rather than take my chances with using CrossFit for a specialized sport. I guess they got lucky and you got it right using CF and having success with one guy in that sport. I'll go to the Olympics and tell those guys if they were using CF they would surely be better.

You got a kid stronger, he jumped higher... that's basic. It isn't CF, he just got stronger. 135 squat and 185 deadlift? He obviously was raw as hell.

That would be the same as me saying my methods are the best because I took a kid from a 65# squat to 265# squat in 10 weeks.

Chances are your boy hardly ever lifted a weight in his life - or had very little time under the bar - and as a rank beginner he will progress rather quickly, and as he gets stronger his force will increase... meaning he will jump higher. Unless of course you didn't work on his explosive ability, but even in your backwoods town you wouldn't do that.

Don't credit CF for this kid getting stronger and more explosive, that has been a staple of sports training long before CF was even a thought.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #883
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Jay, this thread is specifically for the purpose of discussing the "how-to" and the "why" of a very specific application of Crossfit, namely
Crossfit Strength Bias. The success to this thread is that it has remained largely just that and nothing else. This is not the place to bring a discussion of the relative merits of Crossfit, or even the relative merits of CFSB as it compares and contrasts with any other programs. This particular thread is meant to address how CFSB can be used. 89 pages of mostly just that.

If you wish to contact the throws Coach and discuss his question from a "I think you should use "X" instead of CFSB cool. No problem. You have an established track record. But this thread is not the place. Folks here will tell him how to apply CFSB as a S&C program upon which he can layer SPP, and then he can make the call.

Like everything else Crossfit if you are seeking SPP Crossfit is only part of the answer. CFSB is no different. Let this thread continue to be the positive thing it's been for quite a long time.

Thanks in advance.

--bingo
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #884
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Jay, this thread is specifically for the purpose of discussing the "how-to" and the "why" of a very specific application of Crossfit, namely
Crossfit Strength Bias. The success to this thread is that it has remained largely just that and nothing else. This is not the place to bring a discussion of the relative merits of Crossfit, or even the relative merits of CFSB as it compares and contrasts with any other programs. This particular thread is meant to address how CFSB can be used. 89 pages of mostly just that.

If you wish to contact the throws Coach and discuss his question from a "I think you should use "X" instead of CFSB cool. No problem. You have an established track record. But this thread is not the place. Folks here will tell him how to apply CFSB as a S&C program upon which he can layer SPP, and then he can make the call.

Like everything else Crossfit if you are seeking SPP Crossfit is only part of the answer. CFSB is no different. Let this thread continue to be the positive thing it's been for quite a long time.

Thanks in advance.

--bingo
with all due respect, tell Jeff Martin the same exact thing. I was merely saying that CF isn't good for everything, period. I also won't sit idly by while I am talked down to, not by anyone... whether it is face to face or online. I have no problem dropping it, but make sure you tell all parties involved to chill out, CF adherents or not.

Don't worry, I still love ya and when I am out in Ohio I'll be using you for my Lasix.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #885
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
with all due respect, tell Jeff Martin the same exact thing. I was merely saying that CF isn't good for everything, period. I also won't sit idly by while I am talked down to, not by anyone... whether it is face to face or online. I have no problem dropping it, but make sure you tell all parties involved to chill out, CF adherents or not.

Don't worry, I still love ya and when I am out in Ohio I'll be using you for my Lasix.
I thought I was being funny. Guess it looses something on the web. I will disappear again.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #886
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
I thought I was being funny. Guess it looses something on the web. I will disappear again.
if you were being funny, my bad... I tend to jump the gun over stuff like that because of web translation issues. Or it may be because I am an East Coaster and my immediate reaction is attack, attack, attack. Not sure which one to blame.

So all those curse words I muttered under my breath at you, ignore them.

back on the regularly scheduled program.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #887
Mani Singh

Profile:

hi guys, im very intrigued by the CFSB program. Iv recently come off the bill starr program with very good strength gains and iv been doing a sort of CFSB program without realising(with a big lift followed by swimming drills in every gym session.) Iv found this to be alot more fun and i feel so much fitter with the added metcon.

My query is what results ppl have had on the CFSB program in terms of body composition?

thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #888
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Latest from CrossFit Brand X to hit 400

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjUojhns60
WS/FS
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #889
Daniel Carlson

Profile:

I recently got back from OCS and was thinking about starting a cycle of CFSB instead of SS. I dont want to loose my cardiovascular ability I gained there, but my work schedule doesnt let me follow the prescribed method and was hoping I could work around it. I work all day on Tuesday and Thursday 1000-2400 and work 1700-2400 on Monday and Wedensday.

Ive tweeked the schedule so it goes:
Monday: BS
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: DL
Thursday: Off
Friday: FS
Saturday: Press
Sunday: METCON

I have it this way because I figured the two big lifts, BS and DL, could use a days rest like in SS. But it also seems like I could start my week on Friday Like this:
Friday: BS
Saturday: DL
Sunday: FS
Monday: Press
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: METCON
Thursday: Off

My question is would it be better to have the four strength days mixed in with rest days or have the four strength days in a row followed by rest then the METCON?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #890
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Whatever works for YOU dude. Seems to me the first way is better, but see how it goes...