CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Tish Traster

Profile:
Running a "Fair" Weightloss Challenge?

I apologize if there's an old thread out there on this and thank you in advance for your help

I would like to implement a Paleo Diet Challenge at my affiliate. It sounded simple at first, then my clients started asking questions, LOL. What is the best way to judge this? BMI, Inches, Pounds? Should there be different categories; men, women, more than 30 pounds to lose, those who want gain muscle... etc.? I would like to make this as fair as possible and create it in a way that most members can participate. I'm giving away a free one month membership to the winner and of course everyone wants a chance to win!

Any and all ideas and suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

~Tish

Last edited by Tish Traster : 05-25-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Re: Running a "Fair" Weightloss Challenge?

Tish, I think having two categories would be the best to suit the broadest range of people without making it overly difficult for you to run (and not giving out a dozen free memberships). One would be most pounds lost, and the other would be biggest % change in BF.

I would also add a disclaimer in to it just so everyone is on board that lays out that people with more weight to lose will lose more weight, but not necessarily get a big %BF change. Someone who is relatively fit could have a significant %BF change without a lot of weight loss.

It will be challenging for sure, but a great event for anyone's Box.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Judge it by Loss Of Weight (loss of fat is a pain to measure) and Performance Improvement. Biggest sum total of % improved wins.

Weigh everyone, make them do "Helen" or "FGB" and say a month later you have:

Exhibit A: Lost 10 lbs from 200 to 190 & improved FGB from 200 to 225 (25 pts)
Exhibit B: Lost 7 lbs from 185 to 178 & improved FGB from 250 to 295 (45 pts).

So we get
Ex 1: 5% + 12.5%= 17.5%
Ex 2: 3.7% + 18%= 21.7%

I'd call it then CrossFit Challenge - all the folks will want to participate and not just the weight loss ones, plus it's more in the spirit of Crossfit where men will die for points. Plus the simple fact that those who don't need to lose much will do a lot better and adhere stricter to the Paleo.

For the same reason that folks already in decent shape accept Crossfit much faster and dive deeper then those not in shape (exceptions only prove the rule of course).
Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Robert Anthony

Profile:

I agree with above, it really puts emphasis on weight loss and performance gains. I could ex-lax my way to a 10% weight loss but my performance in FGB or something similar would hurt. They would also be motivated to improve their FGB time along with healthy sustainable weight loss. I would not tell them that FGB score would factor in until after it is performed. Be wary of sandbaggers, some will bulk up a little to show a larger loss in weight or not finish last couple of reps, etc... Integrity is a scary thing. Good suggestions Leonid.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Gayle Jordan

Profile:
Arrow Re: Running a "Fair" Weightloss Challenge?

Here's my 2 cents

I also agree with the above, but being a former "FAT SUIT" CrossFitter I know how it feels to be in a gym with "FIT" people... with that said I think you should judge as the above said by Body % loss, and Performance... For the "Grand Prize"

but to keep EVERYONE invovled I also think you should have Smaller Prizes for things like...
Most Improved...
Most Dedicated...
Most Inches Lost...
Etc...
because you want to keep the NOT SO "FIT" CrossFitters excited!!! I helped run a bootcamp and I noticed the MORE you are involved (the more you show you CARE) the more they show up for classes and bring friends in to try class etc...

Prizes don't have to be much because letís face it everyone that signs up to do the contest will win a BIGGER PRIZE in the end and we all know what that is Our Health back!!! or for the "FIT" they become Healthier

Just something to think about
A good friend of mine has a really good contest going on, maybe you can get ideas from them or email them etc...

Link to their site (CrossFit Hampton Roads): w/f safe: Biggest Loser

They are using a BODY SCAN to judge the winners... Other option to that would be a BOD POD TEST... Both are cheap and easy to do

Take Care and keep us posted!!!
((hugs))
gayle in VA
Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Shouldn't there be a men's and women's category each? Isn't it easier for men to make body composition changes and don't men experience larger jumps in fitness?

I agree with having two categories otherwise, although a tape measurer for neck, arm, stomach, hips + scale would be a good way to go with the bodyfat vs weight thing.

my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Robert Anthony

Profile:

I think affiliate level "firebreathers" are gonna have the toughest time with contest like these. Do they really have a lot of weight to lose? Can they really improve their FGB or Grace time that much? It is the new CFers that have more to gain/lose in an event like this. My 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anthony View Post
I think affiliate level "firebreathers" are gonna have the toughest time with contest like these. Do they really have a lot of weight to lose? Can they really improve their FGB or Grace time that much? It is the new CFers that have more to gain/lose in an event like this. My 2 cents.
But they will also probably be the ones to be more motivated just by the simple fact of sticking to a paleo diet, or seeing their performance go up in general, no matter what margin it is by.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anthony View Post
But is there a problem with that?

The firebreathers have plenty of opportunities to excel. That's why they're firebreathers.

Katherine
Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
Robert Anthony

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
But is there a problem with that?

The firebreathers have plenty of opportunities to excel. That's why they're firebreathers.

Katherine
No there is not a problem with that, just making an observation. I am in full agreement that firebreathers are not the target audience on a weight loss program or fitness improvement program. They will excel at anything, hence firebreather status. I know if I was in a box and a contest came up that was weight loss/BF % and WOD time/score improvement based, I would do very well. I only started CF two weeks ago. I would really only worry about other "noobs" such as myself because we have a lot of room for improvement. Firebreathers do not need motivation like weight loss contest, neither do "noobs" but it really helps though.