CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
Back "Pain" During Running/Rowing

So here's the deal...
I'm 20 with no past back problems. I can deadlift heavy sets fine without any pain (with proper form) and can do back extentions on and off the GHD without any discomfort. I can also squat heavy without any problems.
However, when I row or run, I get some "pain" in my lower back, right below the waistline. It's not a bad pain, but it's something that bothers me and that I have to work through. And it doesn't seem like a "burn" like high rep exercises.
I'm sure my rowing technique isn't perfect, but I try to maintain a slight arch in the back and keep it engaged. (like when squatting) I also try to run on my fore-feet.
If I'm running/rowing and I get the back twinge, I normally can just stop, reach back and rub/massage it a bit, and get back into it. But it can come back. I also get it when hiking for long periods with a heavy pack (35 lbs. or more)
So my question is: Is this bad/serious? Can I stretch to reduce this or are there any exercises that can help strengthen my back for long exposure to running/rowing/hiking with weight?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Back "Pain" During Running/Rowing

Any other injuries other than to your back? Hips? Knees? What do you do for work and past sports?

Also, anyway you can get videos posted? Lots of knowledgeable people on the site that can help you out.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Past injuries: both knees were bad for a few years (patella tracking, split patella) but things have been pain free for the last two years

Past 2 summers I've worked on a farm; I'm currently a full time student. In high school I played soccer, squash, and lacrosse, and now I play rugby in college.

Will try to get some videos up.

For what it's worth: I also have problems sitting for long periods of time without changing position or getting up. My bad just starts to feel a little sore.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

The psoas connects directly to the lower back (multiple vertebrae) and if it is pulling or tightening, that's where you'll feel it.

I had a massage therapist do a psoas release (trigger point) and it pull directly on the lower back spot that was hurting until it "popped" and the relief was pretty instant.

I'm not sure it is a complete solution, but it is something to investigate.

howard