CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-26-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:
sprint-squat-sprint-squat-ad pukium

I was taken with this idea when I read of it in Dan John's "The Litvinov Workout" -- http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=983219&cr= -- T-Nation, so link is NSFWF.

Repeats of sprints & squat sets. So I tried it 8 days ago (18 Feb), then Coach rx'd the WOD 5 days (21 Feb) ago of 4 x 400m + 50 squats. Today, 5 x 400m + 50 squats + 30 back extensions.

It's brutal, and I absolutely love it. I was thinking about it yesterday and I wanted to bring this question here, on a slight variation.

What would you think of 10 rounds (100m + 25 squats), for time?

I think this is both psychologically easier, and higher intensity. Am I wrong? What else is different about this variation?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
Re: sprint-squat-sprint-squat-ad pukium

I think it would be psychologically easier. The 400 is a brutal run, and even though you've tacked on more rounds, my mind would love 100m.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Gayle Malinowski

Profile:

I like the idea. I would definitely run a lot harder than I usually do at a 100M distance. I have a fear of pukie showing up at the gym that keeps me from going harder on the 400M and 800M distances.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Great. Something else I can do at the gym that will make everyone think I'm nuts. I have a treadmill and space to do some squats.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Cal Jones

Profile:

I have a workout I sometimes do outdoors. Up the road is a common which I often run around (well, knee allowing...I've not run much lately for this reason). The common is bisected by a railway line, which has a road bridge over it. This gives me a nice hill of about 30-40m to sprint up...at the top there is a flight of stone steps back down to the common. What I do is sprint up the hill...walk down the steps...then lunge back to the bottom of the hill again. Rinse and repeat. It's a good thigh buster.
Unfortunatley I am too uncoordinated to run on the treadmill at anything over 11kph so sprints are out of the question unless it's outside on solid ground!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

I think the treadmill comments point out a flaw to me -- I wouldn't want to do this on a treadmill, way too much transition time from squats to sprints. So I think this workout is only accessible to people doing it outside. Naturally people would *try* to do it on a treadmill, which would take away from the point of it.

I also don't use a dynamax ball for my squats. I *can* use a parallette for height marker, but I have the luxury of my wife watching my form scrupulously -- and without the height marker I regularly go deeper, hams-to-calves. So needing a ball for squats is no obstacle for me.

However, NOT having my wife at each end of my 100m *is* a problem for me. It might have to be 50m out-n-back, which is annoying but still hits the purpose of the workout, and you'd still get a higher average work intensity (**I speculate**). Seems it would work perfectly for situations like, for example, Kelly Moore's which IIRC involves a 50m parking garage.

I feel like absolute crap right now and this workout is going to bury me. Maybe the back extensions were thrown in just to give us a little extra 'rest time' between 400 & squat combos? Keep the victim alive & flailing just a little longer so you can do another round of "I just sucked one year of your life away. Now remember, this is for science so do be honest and accurate. Tell me, how did that make you feel?"
Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Scott Stevens

Profile:

I have a track at my gym too. They say to use the inside lane for walking and the outside for running. I wonder what lane I'm supposed to do squats in?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Wife and I both nailed this, or that's how I feel, maybe just endorphins or relief to be done & rest day tomorrow.

I got 17:45. 400m splits = 1:22, 1:30, 1:32, 1:36, 1:37.

I'm seriously slow on squats and want to improve them dramatically.

Tash got it in 29:52 with similarly consistent splits: 2:36, 2:32, 2:37, 2:41, 2:36

I tried to use the broomstick in OHS position, she said my form was awful because of it, and my form recovered when I got rid of it. I think this may be my favorite workout -- WITHOUT the back extensions. Especially having to finish the whole WOD with 30 back extensions, when you're gunning for time. Smarter to put them before the squats.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
John Biddle

Profile:

There's been a WOD in the past involving 100m sprints with different BW exercises (squat, sit up, push up, pull up) after each one. Might have been 3 rounds through (ie 12 x 100m, 3 x each BW exercise)? Something like that anyway. Don't know the last time it appeared - probably some time ago.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I think 100's would be psychologically easier, but physically more challenging. 400's get to the point where some pacing is necessary (especially near the end of the workout), and you're not going balls out for the whole 400m. 100's are different. They're much more explosive, and, if you do them right (I guess "quickly enough" would work better here ), so are squats. I think my legs would be much more shot after the 100s than the 400s. With 100s you're pushing it the whole way.

But maybe that's just because I suck at running and anything over 200m makes me think about pacing.

Last edited by Skylar Cook : 02-26-2008 at 06:22 PM.