CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Found this ws/fs link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19961197...site/newsweek/
and was thinking if they say obesity is "contagious"; is elite fitness also?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Sadly, it isn't. I've tried to get a few friends of mine on CrossFit, and all the attempts failed.

Hopefully this latest one will work... Yesterday, I gave a co-worker of mine a paper with Fran, Cindy, and the BW-OHS-50#-PU WOD (all untitled), with goal times/rounds. I told him if he can get me a video showing me that he met any of the goals, I'll give him $20. No risk to him.

Well, there is a risk to his weightlifting ego. He's about 5'10, 200#, ex-HS football player, and a college student who certainly lives like a college student. This should be interesting. :-)
Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
{deep in the recesses of some university (and/or media conglomerate)}

Let's see... how can we further elevate the American belief that "nothing is your fault, you're just a victim..." OH I KNOW!!! Let's tell them that obesity is contagious!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
next thing you know, diseases will be contagious...I'm just waiting for the next report that will state it. It's almost accepted mainstream, that " diseases " are almost normal during one's life...be it alcholism, type 2 diabetes, etc, etc.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
When I found that article, I had to post it.
Many years ago, my old martial arts instructor told me people would do anything to get in shape except exercise or change their eating habits.
It was true then, and it seems it still is.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #6
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I actually thought it was a very interesting article especially the conclusion "In fact, what’s going on is much more interesting, according to the researchers: heavy and thin people are causing their friends to become more like them."

Basically if your peer circle are obese your are more likely to be obese because it's socially acceptable. It's something I have noticed in the UK. The further up the social strata people move the thinner they become because being over weight becomes less socially acceptable. Of course there are exceptions

So by exercising and eating a healthy diet we can influence our friends in a positive way.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Chris Honnon

Profile:
I have a long way to go fitness-wise and I have yet to get anyone to join in on CF with me but I have had a positive influence on a number of friends already.

Something that consistently amazes me is the continued presentation of good ol' common freaking sense as "one of the most exciting studies in medical sociology that I have seen in decades".

When I surround myself with people, ideas, institutions, etc that promote destructive patterns I become destructive. The same holds true for healthy patterns and my willingness to participate in healthy behaviors. I believe we subconsciously (and consciously for that matter) seek out connections which validate our own internal workings.

Maybe I'm just bitter but I can't help but wonder how much time and how many resources went into this study and other studies like it. Wouldn't these resources be better spent had they been directed toward programs promoting good eating habits and exercise in elementary schools where the development of these sociological patterns are still able to be influenced? Or perhaps funding extracarricular sports activities for communities who's school budgets have been slashed to the point of requiring sports program cuts?

I suppose I'll just keep on surrounding myself with people that help me stay mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically healthy while highly intelligent people study the potential.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:
I thought it was McDonald's fault?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #9
Craig Loizides

Profile:
The headline obesity is contagious promotes the idea of "you're just a victim" but I don't think the study does. The study suggests that social networks and the people you admire play a bigger role in obesity than genetics or fast food or working in a cubicle which are the excuses most often given by "victims".

I also found the following paragraph interesting:
Even people who’d never met each other were affecting each other in a six-degrees-of-separation way. If your friend’s friend’s friend, or your friend’s sibling’s friend, gains weight, “that will have a subtle effect on you over the course of two to four years,” says James Fowler, an associate professor of political science at the University of California, San Diego, and the other coauthor of the study. “When we change our own lifestyle and become heavier or thinner, that has a ripple effect through the whole population.”

The best way for crossfitters to help others might be to just keep doing what we're doing.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
I'd like to think that my commitment to daily exercise and health eating is having a positive influence on both people I know and don't know. For example, my mother often phones me to ask about nutrition, "good" and "bad" foods, and the best preparation methods. Similarly, since I started CrossFit, random people from my gym approach me and ask questions about what I'm doing, and have made comments about how hard I go at those WODs. No one has actually started CF yet, but at least they are starting to think about how they are training and asking me questions. I think we are all setting a good example by doing what we do, and the great part is we're loving every minute of it, regardless if anyone else jumps on board!