CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Garth Reed

Profile:
I have been really close to the zone diet for a few months but decided to get fully on board a week and a half ago. Since I am a creature of habit, I selected 5 block meals that I can eat every day for a month or two (monday-friday). Each meal is 1 1/2 apples, 15 almonds and a can of tuna. I selected this configuration because it is easy to remember and quick to prepare. The reason I am concerned is because Coach's Fitness in 100 words stresses veggies above fruits. Should I sub apples with veggies or is it cool I stick to the fruit?

In making the change I have shifted my veggie intake to dinner where as before I was eating loads of spinach and bell peppers throughout the day.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Garth, do you mean to say that each and every one of your meals consists of apples, almonds and tuna? If so I think you should reevaluate. While you may be getting the correct block prescription at every meal you will be lacking variety in your diet. Variety is very important to ensure you get all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

I found it helpful to figure out 10 or so easy to make Zone meals and snacks with a variety of ingredients, the I just mixed them up throughout the week. This kept variety in my diet, kept food interesting for me and still managed to make it fairly simple for me to follow.

You'll also find that the longer you're on the Zone the easier it becomes to eyeball foods and make up new recipies.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Yeah you will get sick of that diet REAL fast if you eat it at every meal. And while apple skins have a ton of fiber, eating too many apples can actually stuff you up on the "exit side" if you know what I mean. There's something in apples that is like the same stuff as an anti-laxative, and too many causes, well, anti-laxative things to happen to you.

But, it is still good to eat apples, just make sure you eat skin as well, not just the tasty stuff inside.

And you can also cook yourself a good dinner two nights in a row, and make enough for leftovers. That's what I've been doing. Then just slap it in the oven or on the stove, or even toaster (don't nuke it) and eat.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Out of curiosity, why is the microwave bad?

howard
Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Eva Claire Synkowski

Profile:
howard - you must have missed a couple of recent threads:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/37443.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/37117.html
Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"Out of curiosity, why is the microwave bad? "

Because I start trouble like that....:biggrinthumb:
Old 03-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Sean Pizel

Profile:
I don't have have a microwave, but I have a clock that occasionaly cooks things -M. Hedburg

Sorry, my original post was inappropriate, and I couldn't think of anything else to say.

(Message edited by sean on March 07, 2007)
Old 03-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Garth, first off...great picture! Second off...I think you have the right idea, just a little limited. I suggest you come up with 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3-5 dinners you really like. Most carbs should come from fibrous vegetables, with fruits (apples and berries are great) as condiments or desserts. I try to have lean meat, vegetables, fruit, and oil, nuts, or seeds with every meal. Cook up five block portions of lean meat on Sunday and Wednesday. Bag them separately. Now all you have to do is reach into the fridge and grab a bag. I know how many cups frozen mixed vegetables make a block...I just dump the vegs into a pan with cooking spray, throw in some organic soy sauce and in a few minutes I'm good to go. You need to build variety into you diet to maintain/promote health. Pre-cook what you can, plan, experiment, and you will come up with a number of meals you like and that fit into your Zone parameters.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Garth Reed

Profile:
Larry,
Thanks! That's my son who is 7mo and he is currently working towards his first mu! Ha! You have read me perfectly! Your explaination clears up exactly what I suspected I should do and how to do it. Last night I realized that I miscalculated my carbohydrates and that is why I was feeling a bit fuzzy. This AM I mixed it up and feel great! Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Garth