CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Dean W. Bryan

Profile:
Hey all.

I am a strength and conditioning coach at a boy’s prep school in D.C.. I need help designing a swimming workout for a graduating athlete of mine who is going to the Naval Academy. So if there are any current or Ex-Military that have any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
What is his goal at the Academy? Just passing the 2nd class swim test, send him to the Y to talk to a WSI for lessons. Problem solved. 1st class swim do that and have him swim once a week w the Masters or play water polo to get comfortable in the water. For a more advanced need all of those plus lessons from Total Immersion Swimming coach. Lots of work on the underwater recovery sidestroke. If he's already a good swimmer short intense swims say 25- 200m will probably prepare him for anything in the academy unless he is planning on going to say BUD/S or Dive school.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Bryan Madden

Profile:
I am not sure what the Naval Academy's swim test is, but I do a swim workout in addition to my Crossfit workout that you might like. I never swam competively, but I got this from my wife who did...and I know any real swimmer can give you a hundred workouts, but I like it because I get to race against the clock and it is an interval workout which I find similar to other Crossfit workouts.

In a 25m pool I use a continuously running countdown timer. The laps are as follows....
2 sets of 25meters
2 sets of 50meters
2 sets of 75meters
2 sets of 50meters
4 sets of 25meters =(20 laps total)

I started out with the timer set at 45 seconds per lap and have decreased the time each day I do the workout. On the 50 meter and 75 meter swims, don't stop at each lap, finish the total distance and you will have built up a little extra break between sets for a breather. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Total Immersion is a must. This approach changed my swimming technique in one workout. I dropped 2 - 3 strokes (front crawl) and DECREASED time.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Boris Bachmann

Profile:
It will be a lot easier to design something if you know what he needs to be able to do and where his current swimming abilities are...

I'm sure a lot of us could just give you random workouts and intervals, but without knowing those, they would be pointless and probably not even close to useful.