CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-23-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
D-4(freestyle) yesterday 23.08.05
How many rounds in 20 min
100m kick, 100mpull, 100m swim
No fin, No Paddles, 50m pool

Got two rounds in 15:00 min and additional 100m kick, 100pull in 19:53.Finshed third set at 22:15 but did last 100 swim as cooldown.

Still nursing the shoulder so no full sprints, just yet,only got cleared to swim Monday.

Tomorrow i will give D-4 ago.

PS When do the swim workouts get names?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #12
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Alex, can't find a dive brick? Fill a gaterade or other wide mouth bottle with sand or gravel.Then tape it shut.
We have a buckets of them at the army pool i work at for the guys doing swim tests.
I may not be the required weight but they still sink quite well and don't damage the bottom of the pool like a vinal covered DB can.

Sorry Matt thats the lifeguard in me talking.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Fiona,
dont forget variation applies to swimming, too! and i think you did D2.

as for naming these workouts, i think thats something we should work on. but first, we need to try them all to find the ones that are truly name-worthy. ive only done two, but B4 was money.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:52 AM   #14
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
You are so right it was D2 that i did tuesday. D4 thursday.

And i agree with you on the names

WO's currently limited by injury and fact my fins etc. are at the pool where i Lifeguard (16C):uhoh:and Im swimming at the one where i teach Aqua (26C):biggrin:.
Cant wait to be able to do the Wo's with fly, Burpees, and Muscle ups.

A friend of mine, Craig, made up this WO a few years back.I hope i remember it right.

You will need 25m pool and a medicine ball at starting end only (any size), all swims freestyle no fins or paddles.

Do Eight rounds

10 medicine ball pushups (both hands on ball)
Sprint 25m
10 wide grip push ups
Sprint 25m
10 plyo-pushups one hand on MB one off tranfering hand each push.
Sprint 25m
10 close grip pushups
Sprint 25m.

CrossFit= do it for time

Hay that's another t-shirt :-)

I have only done it once pre crossfit and i remember it as a real killer, cant remember how long it took somewher between 20-30 min,I was just happy to finish it.I think i had to scale it down to 5 pushups each end to keep up with him.
Will give it ago again,unscaled, as soon as im able.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #15
Jason Billows

Profile:
I'm pretty bummed as I haven't had the chance to get to the pool since this thread started. Hopefully I'll post a workout soon.

I have used the following workout while training for freediving. It's a killer, but needs to be done in a free lane so you don't **** other swimmers off. It also has to be done in the deep end.

Get a weight - the heavier the better. You won't be brining it to the surface throughout the workout, it'll be staying on the bottom. I usually use 40kg of scuba weights on a weight belt.

Place the weight on the bottom of the pool at one end (end B). Go to the opposite end of the pool (end A). Here's the workout...

Sprint from end A to end B on the surface. Dive down to the bottom, pick up your weight and walk/swim it along the bottom towards end A. When you need to, surface. When you reach the surface, sprint back to end A, turn and sprint back to just above the weight. Dive down, and swim/walk it towards end A.

Keep repeating the above until you have brought the weight all the way to end A. Sprint to end B and start the drill all over again, this time sprinting from end B and swimming/walking the weight along the bottom from end A to end B.

You can do this for time to complete a predetermined number of lenghts that you move the weight or for a certain numer of lengths within a given time.

I last did this pre Crossfit so haven't timed myself, but can tell you it's one hell of a workout.

Jason
Old 09-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #16
Tim Morrison

Profile:
Hi Tim here!
Surprising to see so many people doing the brick workouts (although for traditional swimmers they are the most 'fun').
I probably should have described more ways to scale these workouts as they are (as Crossfit workouts are) targeted for accomplished trained swimmers).
I've had challenges from my article's statement that technique is not 'important'.
From a competitive speed standpoint it is essential of course.
From a fitness response standpoint, it's not.
There are no safety concerns (like with the Snatch)that better technique would avoid.'Reasonable' mechanics are all that are required (from a Crossfit neuroendocrine response). Improving the times on the benchmark workouts are all that are needed.
To scale,the less experienced CrossFit swimmers should: 1.reduce the repetition distances of the few workouts in the article or
2.Use fins as needed.
Technique development is available from any community Y, HS, or swim coach.

This is not exactly how I would structure workouts for competitive swimmers (although since ingesting Crossfit ideology, I certainly would not only do these workouts predominantly in the preseason as I have in the past but would integrate them somewhat all season long).
Competitive swimmers in this style of training, have their PRP (projected race pace) as the primary 'load' that is programmed and configured in a variety of progressive high intensity sessions throughout the season.
The primary progression is DENSITY.... or programming the PRP with less and less rest..and/or longer and longer distances.
Other methods such as the 'component' training etc are included.
Sprint/Power training (top speed 25/50 mtr efforts) are programmed and progressed from the get-go.
Hope this helps ....initially!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #17
Eric Moffit

Profile:
thanks, Tim. i was interested to see how you incorporate this style of workout into a competitive swim season, and the way youve described seems very logical.

today i did a 5 round version of A4. for the kick portion, i held a water polo ball above the water ('weight over head'...yeah right) and i did ~2/3 egg beater and the rest flutter kick. this was fun. i quickly relearned the importance of taking large, less frequent breaths and holding them to aid bouyancy.