CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
Tom Huffman

Profile:  
I have been doing Crossfit workouts for just less than a year now but recently started following the 3 on 1 off format (about 1 1/2 months). Prior to that I was doing every other day, usually with 2 days off at the end of a week. I feel that with the 3/1 format I may be overtraining (or under recovering, however you like to say it). I just feel little aches and pains creeping up and a little less motivation than before. Before this I couldn't wait to tear into a WOD. My question is, with an everyother day format, how would I choose which WOD to use? I've also thought about a 2/1 format so I guess same question. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
Eric Moffit

Profile:
if i were you, id stick with the 3:1 format but maybe scale the actual workouts. and when you scale, focus on maintaining intensity. for example, lets say you get a 5 round WOD that seems like its just gonna take forever. scale it back to 2 or 3 rounds and try to hit those rounds hard. or it could be the Rxd weight or reps of an exercise that you scale...just scale the WOD to a manageable version that youll be able to hit hard.

my reasoning behind scaling instead of changing up the format is that your body doesnt seem capable of handling the volume of the WOD as Rxd. however, rather than dropping multiple WODs a week to reduce the volume, i think itd be better to adjust the volume of each workout to something manageable. this way youll be able to get the variation from doing the WOD every day its up and your body will get hit every day (though it will be less than 'as Rxd' and, therefore, able to fully recover).

if you are still hesitant to go 3 on, 1 off, id definitely go with 2:1 over 1:1.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I would tend to agree with Eric. Given that you are having difficulty with the 3 on 1 off, I would suggest that you take an honest look at your diet and the amount of rest you are getting.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Tom Huffman

Profile:  
Thanks guys for the info so quickly. That does sound good. I will have a hard time scaling the workouts though, certainly an ego thing. I can do the WOD's as RX'd, and although I'm not at the top of the times listed in the comments section I consider myself to be competitive. But that may be what I need to get me through the changeover and I'll think I'll try it for a while.
My diet is good, I don't eat any junk (2-3 beers though a couple of times a week) get enough calories and nutrients.I am lacking in sleep, and going through a separation so there is some stress in my life right now.
I will scale back and if anyone would like I'll keep track of the difference this makes and report back.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

Another vote for sticking with 3:1, Tom. You upped the volume of your workouts, so you likely need to scale back the intensity slightly, as you acclimatise yourself to the added volume.

I started out doing 5:2 with weekends off, and switching to 3:1 was the 2nd best thing I ever did. The best was ditching vegetarianism and starting the Zone.

3:1 works...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Pat's comment made me think of a clarification to what i said earlier. 'when you scale, focus on maintaining intensity'...i probably shouldve said, 'focus on maintaining an intensity that you can handle'.

and i think 'intensity' here also implicitly refers to volume as well. in other words, scale weights and movements to a level you can handle with high intensity and then scale reps and rounds to a volume throughout which you can maintain this high intensity. if your initial intensity is good, but the volume is simply too much, the intensity is going to fall off. scale intensity first and then volume so as to maintain this intensity. (sorry if thats redundant...its the philosophy major in me)

also, Tom, when CrossFitters talk about diet, we are really talking about the Zone diet or Paleo-Zone diet. if you dont know what this is, have a go with the Search function of the Message Board and head over to the Nutrition section. also, CrossFit Journal #21 is an excellent, practical resource for getting into the Zone. what your going to learn is that diet isnt merely not eating junk...its eating good foods in proper proportion (proper proportion being based on how your body functions). nothing has effected my recovery rate more than being 'in the Zone'.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
Zach Nikka

Profile:

whatever you have to do, just avoid overtraining.....im overtrained right now for the second or third time in my 16 year old life and i can tell you its not alot of fun...my immune system is down so ive got a throat infection,fatigue, and the sleep isnt coming easy. its the most frustrating thing in the world so do what you need to do to stay away from it