CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Jay Ashman

Profile:
I have been a huge fan of Pavel's methods -- www.dragondoor.com -- for a long time.

Has anyone tried to successfully incorporate the two together?

Besides the kettlebells...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Keep reading the boards and you will find numerous references to Pavel, Jay. I think most people here are fans.

Speaking of Pavel. Where are his articles? I know about all his theories mostly because everyone discusses them here. For example, I have heard his GTG stuff quoted and was also curious about "linking vs. leakage" but haven't seen the source material. Any links?

I'm gonna search dragondoor again.

Keith
Old 02-24-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Whew, I finally found the GTG article (http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/). Now I'm still looking for the linking vs. leakage stuff that Dan John was discussing a couple of months ago that he learned from Pavel. Is that in an article or a book or just Pavel-isms?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
Dan John

Profile:

Naked Warrior has some of it. Also, I have a Get Up...the Boot Camp edition that discusses it, too. Hard to explain a lot of it, but it is really helping me throw farther.

Throwing stuff far is more than just...you know..."working out." There has to be a lot of, well, stuff, that is hard to write on a forum. Linkage is really helping me, but it would take an hour to write about and a second to feel.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Pavel's stuff is fantastic. Loads of situations where max tension is important. We tend to bring this into play with the gymnastics movements in particular but it is obviously appropriate at many times.
Robb
Old 02-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #6
Jay Ashman

Profile:
I used to weigh 310 pounds. This was after my NFL workout when I was a DT (in 1998). I didn't make it and decided to lose all the excess weight that I had acquired and at the same time I discovered Pavel's work in Rolling Stone magazine and Muscle Media. This was around 2000 (I think) and I bought the PTP book online and started at it.

I did my cardio and his recommended workouts and I dropped down to 235, lean, fit and stronger than I was at 310...in every lift except bench press.

I did a few strongman shows, did very well and then I started playing rugby.....found my passion.

Now I am around 260-265-270 depending on the time of the season. I am as fit as I was at 235 but now with the added power, bulk and size to be able to be an effective player on the pitch.

The high-tension workouts have helped me a lot with rugby. Whenever I do push presses I ALWAYS hold the last 2 reps of a set to lockout for a count of 5. You'd be surprised how much tougher this makes a stiff arm. Hell, today at practice I stiff-armed my teammate to the ground....he was running at me and I was standing still.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Jay, ever thought of coming and playing in England? A 6'3, 270 lbs prop who stiff-arms people into next week would go down very well over here!

Only a matter of time before the Eagles are up there with the world's best...
Old 02-25-2005, 07:40 AM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Guys like Jay are why I quit rugby after about 3 matches . . . at 5'6", 145 (back then) and not all that fast, I didn't stand a chance :lol:
Old 02-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I mentioned my unfortunate experience with rugby whilst in England before. Jay has convinced me to stay away from any sport where full contact with a human wall is encouraged!
On the subject of Pavel, I like a lot of what he says, and really, DragonDoor brought me to CrossFit. I'm just a little put off by the price of his books, otherwise I'd get Naked Warrior and follow it immediately.
Welcome Jay!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #10
Jay Ashman

Profile:
Don't get me wrong guys...I'm not Jonah Lomu out there. LOL!!! This is only a men's league team. The Eagles do pull players from our league so hopefully in the next couple years, I can earn a chance to get a look.

Peter, I've often thought about travelling to England to try my hand playing there for fun.

I only wish I started playing the sport when I was in college instead of waiting until later. That STILL ****es me off. Oh well... I'm making up for lost time.