CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Noah Martin

Profile:
Level 1 Enough in Canada?

I'm just curious for affiliates in Canada..

Is a level 1 cert enough to get insurance and what not?
Not being a "certified personal trainer"

Is the Crossfit Level 1 recognized in Canada as enough to be insured?

Are most affiliates in Canada using Sports-Can?

Would love to hear from you.

Cheers
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
James Gordon

Profile:
Re: Level 1 Enough in Canada?

Hi Noah,

I'm a L1 and insured through Sports-Can. I'm not a certified "personal trainer", but had a lot of experience teaching sailing, skiing and scuba diving; don't know if that helped.

Are you thinking of opening an Affiliate? If so, you should consider attending the CrossFit Biz seminar in Toronto in September. The other affiliates that have attended swear by it, and I'm signed up as well.

You can get more info at www.crossfitla.com (wfs). Any other info you need, let me know.

Best,

James
CrossFit Orillia
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Don J Munro

Profile:

Yes level 1 is enough for sport can I am in the same boat, they just need a copy of you cert.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Paul Oddi

Profile:

I used allsport canada. They supply all the insurance for martial arts clubs and such, we just had crossfit added to our policy.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Devin Glage

Profile:

Hi James,

Can you provide a little more info about the BIZ seminar in September? Is there still time to sign up?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
Lester Leblanc

Profile:

Good morning all,
Though still in the VERY early stages of considering affiliation here in Canada, it is nice to learn that the path has been cleared by others, and for that I thank you. I was wondering, as far as laws in Canada go, what else, other than insurance, was required to kick off an affiliate. Are their business permit issues? I am looking at 2 options. Currently living in Ottawa, option one is to set up something here. There is currently a single affiliate that I now of, in the West end, and I would target the East. The second option I am considering is moving out to my home town in rural Nova Scotia and setting something up there. Pros and cons of the two options mostly amount to gretaer client base and higher operating costs vs smaller client base but considerably lower operating costs. Any insights into launching requirements, and opinions on the pros and cons of the two stated options, would certainly be appreciated. Just so you know, I am realtively new, THOUGH HOOKED, to CrossFit and have not yet scheduled myself for a level 1 Cert, so I am still a good ways from launching an affiliate, if I decide to go that way. It is never too early, however, to do one's homework. Thanks.

Les
Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Leblanc View Post
Good morning all,
Though still in the VERY early stages of considering affiliation here in Canada, it is nice to learn that the path has been cleared by others, and for that I thank you. I was wondering, as far as laws in Canada go, what else, other than insurance, was required to kick off an affiliate. Are their business permit issues? I am looking at 2 options. Currently living in Ottawa, option one is to set up something here. There is currently a single affiliate that I now of, in the West end, and I would target the East. The second option I am considering is moving out to my home town in rural Nova Scotia and setting something up there. Pros and cons of the two options mostly amount to gretaer client base and higher operating costs vs smaller client base but considerably lower operating costs. Any insights into launching requirements, and opinions on the pros and cons of the two stated options, would certainly be appreciated. Just so you know, I am realtively new, THOUGH HOOKED, to CrossFit and have not yet scheduled myself for a level 1 Cert, so I am still a good ways from launching an affiliate, if I decide to go that way. It is never too early, however, to do one's homework. Thanks.

Les
Hey Lester,

Are you aware of Jordan Wright who is also looking at opening a box in Ottawa?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Lester Leblanc

Profile:

No I am not, but would lopve to hear of his plans. As mentioned, I am not in any way yet committed to this, and if someone was looking at launching an affiliate close to home, I would certainly be one of his ground floor members and biggest fans. I take it that he has written about it in this forum somewhere. I will look up the name and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip