CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Roark Marsh

Profile:
So this is officially my new favorite exercise, but it has recently raised a few questions.

When lifting real heavy, how do people drop these? Using dumbbells, I've been lowering to my shoulder, using my off hand for support. I'm closing in on the end of the line with dumbbells, and considering doing them with a bar, but again, dropping is awkward. Bumpers will certainly survive a 7 foot drop better than a 100 lb dumbbell, but with a one hand snatch the bar is generally not parallel with the floor, and I'm concerned the uneven drop could be equally disastrous.

Anyway, thanks in advance for aiding in my pursuit of this truly burly looking exercise.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
How heavy are you going? I usually just start to lower it down and let it drop (with me still holding it) in a controlled manner between my legs. I bend my knees when my arm reaches full extension to absorb the shock. I've never gone higher than 100# on a one arm dumbbell snatch, but I imagine if your grip is strong enough to hold it in the bottom position at the start of the movement it will probably be strong enough to catch it.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Roark Marsh

Profile:
I've been doing 90-95 lbs so far, but I'm really doing more of a muscle snatch, rather than really catching it in a full squat position. I guess that's what started me wondering how I should drop, before I push my max.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:
I'm not talking about catching it at the top though. I mean after you've done the movement and your arm is outstretched, weight over your head and you're standing straight up. Let it fall down between your legs and just catch it.

Like in this video
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html
I know he's doing multiple reps, but same thing applies. Catch it and then just set it on the ground.

(Message edited by The Matt on March 30, 2007)
Old 03-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Thanks for the video. Yeah, as with most of my olympic lifts, I think I'm pausing a bit more than I should at lock-out. The drop feels more like, well dropping, rather than a rapid/controlled lowering.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
Hi Roark,

Rather than going up in weight, you might want to consider squatting deeper on the catch instead of doing a muscle snatch. Start with a slight dip and work your way down. It's a great way to increase the athleticism of the movement.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Thomas Covington

Profile:
That is an awesome video Matt. It really demonstrates the low/cheap gear required.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:
There are other videos that demonstrate even more the mass amount of work that can be done with very minimal equipment. Check em out at www.rosstraining.com under Articles.

In my oppinion if you have a yard, you don't need a gym membership.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
George Brothers

Profile:
i dont think the one arm snatch was ever meant to be a true strength exercise but a blend of assymetrical strength, flexibility, balance and athleticism. i think if you really want to go up in wt then start snatching a barbell. while the video at rosstraining is good (a power snatch) i think the video that was posted on the xfit main page several weeks ago is better concerning the one arm snatch. but that is just me. but as to the original ?, this is the sticking point with dumbells. you can always drop a bumper plate but dropping a 100lb db is only going to crack the gym floor and get you kicked out. but i would think that you would get some benefit (negatives) from lowering this under control.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Thank you George!!! Negatives is exactly what I think I'm overlooking!! When I was doing these with a barbell and bumper plates, the drop was pretty awkward, in that the bar was non-parallel as I was lowering it. I ended up using my other arm to stabilize/catch. I think lowering the weight significantly, and working hard on negatives is exactly what I need to build the appropriate dropping technique.

And, as mentioned, heavy one armed snatches are NOT the point. It's just that I got my butt kicked when I was trying a max rep set at 55 lbs a la CrossfitNorth fitness levels. My previous bodybuilding background needed some revenge by returning to low rep, max weight sets.

Anyway, thanks again for thoroughly addressing what I was trying to figure out with the original question.