CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Michael Gilkerson

Profile:
How young can you start your kids lifting?

I am curious how young can I start my kids on SS? I have a 15 yoa daughter and an 11 you boy that I would like to put on the program. Is this to young of ages for the olympic lifts? Thanks for the info!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Jennifer Bland

Profile:
Re: How young can you start your kids lifting?

My parents started me lifting weights when I was 14, but I have been involved with some sort of physical activity since I was 3. I was on a fast track to a scholarship to a great college playing soccer. This was my routine: 3:30 wake up call, weight lift/cardio for 2 hours. Go to school, practice with my teammates for 3 hours in the afternoon.

I was in great shape and made me who I am today. Now I train smarter, not harder.

Think of it this way, any activity you give your kids now...you are developing great habits for later.

Jenn
Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Cody Looney

Profile:

i agree jenn. i think the need to teach younger athletes how to work harder and how to work smarter is very important.

michael, check out CrossfitKids for some amazing info on how your daughter can begin training correctly.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

If my kids wanted to start o-lifting at 5yo, I'd have started any one of them - with a broomstick. Coach Burgener's children all were playing around with "barbells" before they started kindergarten (not sure exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was that young)

My 8yr old has informed me that she wants to start weightlifting now. Good thing I've already got PVC bars!

My 15yo learned to snatch and squat as a warmup for gymnastics when she couldn't run with the team due to a knee injury.

Michael, Coach Steve Gough lives in/near Bozeman. You could probably get in touch with him through Coach B or the Goheavy.com olympic weightlifting forum if you want to get quality OL coaching.

Last edited by Veronica Carpenter : 03-30-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Robin Owens

Profile:

My kids, 7 and 10, are showing an interest. They do push ups, pull ups and hit the bag all the time for fun. When school is out I amd going to get them doing a few of the Xfit for kids things.
My daughter recently took our neighbor hoood trail and identified items along the way she could turn into fitness stations.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I used to think weightlifting for kids was bad, but I actually did some research and it's pretty excellent for any kid. Your kids are at great ages, just make sure they're working with broomsticks and FORM FORM FORM. And that it's fun.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Here is a good discussion on the subject.
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=28975
Old 03-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Dave Matteson

Profile:

It's almost never too young to start kids on an effective and fun workout program, especially considering the childhood obesity rates in the U.S. and many other industrialized nations.

As Emily pointed out, it is absolutely critical to stress proper form and safe lifting, something I applaud CrossFit Kids for doing. Although kids are a lot more "malleable" and bounce back from injuries very quickly, more severe injuries can have long-lasting consequences. A fracture through a growth plate, for example, could result in height or length discrepancies as an adult.

Also, make sure if that if your kids are undertaking a rigorous program that they consume sufficient high-quality calories (and also protein, calcium, and vitamin D).
Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Michael Gilkerson

Profile:

Thanks for the input everyone; my daughter Sarah and I are really starting to get into the WODs and I need a partner to help me with my form. What a great community to draw knowledge from and not just a bunch of people's half baked opinions.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
Mike Gray

Profile:

My experience with my own kids (9 and 11) is that the kid's development, personality and motivation make all the difference in the world. Last summer I had a terrific time following SS with my daughter (11 - then 10) but a much more frustrating time with my son (then 8).

I haven't worked out with my daughter since last summer but I plan to do it again this coming summer. If I buy some extra equipment (so we don't spend so much time changing loads), she would be a nice training partner. Nice way to get some dad & girl time!

If I've learned anything, it's not to force it. I'll push my son hard to do his homework correctly - I'll force him to apologize to a neighbor after breaking something. Those are areas where kids have to learn to accept responsibility. But I won't push my son to squat right. I just won't give him any more weight than an unloaded exercise bar until he decides he'd like to learn how! And given those parameters, it's fun having my son in the cellar while I work out - just in a different way than with my daughter.