CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I'm doing the Starting Strength program (minus the power cleans) and I'm loving it. This is the first time in my life I've ever looked forward to working out because the program is simple and I'm seeing immediate results!

However, at 38 years old and 5'11", I weigh 320 lbs with a very significant percentage of bodyfat. I want to keep doing SS and possibly add in some Concept 2 training while adjusting my diet to steadily lose weight. When the weather warms up I'll also start riding my outdoor bike again with 10.7 mile rides (generally done in 52-55 minutes so for me the rides are a mild HIIT workout) being the norm.

My question is this: Can I continue to make strength gains while reducing my caloric intake and increasing my metcon activity enough to lose 100 lbs over the next year or so?

I will probably be eating along the lines of the South Beach Diet/Abs Diet possibly moving toward Zone parameters as I get further into this. The only supplement I currently take is Carson's fish oil, 2 teaspoons daily.

As I progress toward my weight and strength goals I plan to transition to the WOD.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
For the most part, yes. As your BF% decreases you will have a hard time doing so. For example, if your BF% dips into the single digits, it probably would not be effective to try to gain muscle/strength while reducing calories to cut off fat. However, as long as you are above 15% it should be easy going, and judging from your height and weight you can do it most likely.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Wouldn't worry about your strength too much....you will have plenty I am sure...getting your BF low is a bigger concern as it decreases all your risks for illness and disease. Health first in my book. Congrats on being consistent so far and keep up the great work! You can make that goal!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Zone Diet strictly!

Yes with that much fat you could easily continue to gain strength while losing fat.

Don't try to lose fat too fast or you will sacrifice muscle.

Work hard and shoot for no more than 2 lbs a week.

The first 10-20 should come off quickly but then you will probably slow to 1-2 lbs a week
Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:
Yeah, you can... I was 320 a few years ago and dropped 125 lbs and was much stronger afterwards. But I did start to notice I was losing muscle afterwards when I dipped down to 180.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Think about it like this. In the squat, clean, and deadlift you are moving your bodyweight to some degree in addition to the weight on the bar. Imagine how much harder it would be to squat or clean while wearing a 100lb vest. So even if it goes to the worst case scenario, ie. you do not get any stronger from now till next year(which really isn't even possible if you are training), you will still be able to lift more.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Matt Fullerton

Profile:
Keep up the good work!
Your body will keep changing as long as you are challenging yourself to get stronger, faster and lighter. The novice has it easy, almost anything they do will produce results. The elite athlete sees diminishing gains even for the largest effort. Whatever nutritional plan you stick to, eat to support high daily activity, and then DO IT! You will see the changes as your body adapts.

And most importantly,
Never Quit!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Chris,

Good luck, you can do it!

Keep us posted!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
My thoughts mirror Mike and Nick's. Nick's post reminded me of a testimonial from Furrey's site: "I lost 90 pounds and my deadlift went up 90 pounds! I'm not only losing weight but I'm getting stronger." Uh, dude, not exactly.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
David Wallach

Profile:
I lost just over a hundred lbs of fat over the course of about a year and a half, most of the process over the course of a year. Played with CKDs for the lions share of the first 75lbs, BodyOpus et al, with great success and with a meaningful rise in strength.

you can do this, totally. just dont rush it, you will get there by pushing one lb at a time.