CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-07-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Hi guys and gals!

I'm trying to work my way around a couple of problems. One is that I don't have bumper weights, the other is that the ceiling in my workout room is too low to raise weights above my head. I can do cleans, but jerks are out.

I tried lifting and dropping outside, but the weights fall pretty hard and make big ruts in the grass.

So I was thinking: what if I do my lifts outside on a couple thick construction boards? (They're a bit more than an inch thick - workers here in Switzerland use them as gang planks when they need to push wheel barrows up and down or over things.) I'd just lay two of them on the ground next two each other and drop on them. Has anybody here tried something like that?

Best,

Mike
Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Can't hurt to try! Sounds like those boards are thicker than the plywood that we make warmup platforms out of.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Won't hurt the plates (hopefully)... though you may get some large dents in the boards.

How wide are these boards? If you have an uber-nasty failure, you may not be able to control the direction of the weight enough to get it to land on just two of them... (I'm assuming you're not standing on these boards?)

(Message edited by surfreak on April 07, 2007)
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Mike Gray

Profile:
Please disregard. Double post.

(Message edited by mikesusangray on April 08, 2007)
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
Mike Gray

Profile:
Hi y'all!

The boards are made of very heavily treated particle board. They're yellow colored - almost a "plasticky" effect - and somewhat flexible (they bow under a heavy weight) and very strong. (I spent a summer working in construction and we even drove smaller pieces of machinery over them.)

They're not all that cheap either - about $25 for a board that's about five feet by three. I wouldn't mind dents in the board - though it would be an (expensive) nuisance if they should break down completely.

I'm thinking about two strategies right now. (1) I use two to make a sort ot "T." I'd set the loaded barbell on the top of the "T" and stand on the bottom. (Sounds a bit tricky though.) (2) I set three next to each other to make a rectangle that's about 6 by 5 feet.

I think (2) might be a little better.

Whichever way I do it, I'll need to figure out a way to keep the boards from sliding apart - but also be able to pull them apart and carry them back inside when I'm done - either a strap or a brace at each end. I might also need to add some sort of anti-slick surface so I don't lose my balance in rainy weather. (Very unpleasant thought with a lot of iron over one's head!)

Still, if it works, it'll be a very nice portable weight lifting platform - and the grass should keep the noise to a minimum.

Once this project is done, I'll post a few pictures of this and the rest of my new CF collection! (I'm also figuring out how to make a wooden squat rack that attaches to the shelves in my basement.)
Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Regarding the squat rack, look at this: (w/f safe)

http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmw...EquipmentIdeas

and scroll down to "Another Homemade Power Rack".