CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Justin Baum

Profile:
Hurts when I sneeze (and breathe deep)

after nate and randy last week, i woke up with a strained pec/lat (i think). deep breathing, coughing, laughing, etc all hurt. after several days its gotten much better but it's still lingering. just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how long it lasted
Old 02-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Joe Butler

Profile:
Re: Hurts when I sneeze (and breathe deep)

I've had this problem for a month in my right lower ribs. It sounds like you're healing a lot faster than me. I've been wrapping an ACE around me, using moist heat and Aleve and it's finally improving.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Wade Smith

Profile:

Are you sure it's muscle related and not lung related? It sounds similar to the pleurisy I had twenty years ago. Just something to check in to and remove via process of elimination.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Hasib Saliefendic

Profile:

Hi Justin,

It's not clear exactly where your pain is ("lat/pec"), but in "The Frozen Shoulder Workbook" it mentions similar symptoms relating to the Serratus Posterior Superior, and Iliocostalis Thoracis muscles.

From the book:
"...A deep ache under the shoulder blade is the most characteristic symptom. Pain may also be felt in the back of the shoulder, the point of the elbow, and the pinky side of the wrist and hand."

"Occasionally, pain may occur over the entire triceps, down the ulnar side of the forearm, and even into the pectoral area."

"The referred pain deep under the shoulder blade has the potential to create satellite trigger points in the subscapularis muscle, which can be the place where a frozen shoulder begins."

"Strenuous breathing during heavery exertion has the potential to create trigger points in the serratus posterior superior. Nervous hyperventilation or habitually breathing with your chest instead of your diaphragm can also overwork them. Especially taxing for them is the struggle for breath incident to respiratory illnesses such as asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, bronchitis, and smoker's cough."

Regarding the ilicostalis thoracis:
"A trigger point in the ilicostalis thoracis causes a diffuse kind of pain that can be felt all along the inner edge of the shoulder blade, although it tends to concentrate at the inferior angle. It can occasionally send pain to the front of the body in the area of the upper abdomen and lower pectoral muscles."

"Referred pain from ilicostalis trigger points can be mistaken for the pain of angina, pleurisy, appendicitis, or other visceral diseases."

"Picking up something that's too heavy for you is a major cause of trigger points in your long back muscles, especially if you lift suddenly or your body isn't straign and centered."

The book is a great self-treatment guide for the shoulders but also covers a good part of the upper body neck and head--it's all connected. It's a bit hard to describe exactly where the trigger points are but you may be able to find another online reference to the trigger points for these muscles and give it a go.

I highly recommend the book for all crossfitters.

I hope this helps--good luck!

Hasib
Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Justin Baum

Profile:

thanks hasib, that is helpful. it's hard to pinpoint the pain but i'd say outter left pect on the front side. i'll have to pick up the book for the remedies.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I think Hasib must be getting something out of the sales on the book or something

I had a similar injury some time ago after starting ring dips for the first time. It was a nearly crippling stabbing pain when laughing, breathing in heavily with the chest (as opposed to stomach), laughing, coughing and sneezing. It was no fun whatsoever.

I went so far as to consider it may have even been a cracked rip or sternum, but thought there should have been a much more noticeable onset or incident of when the pain started, rather than just waking up the next morning and feeling it.

Mine went away in about 4 weeks on its own, with rest and very minimal upper body work, other than pull-ups. Sucks, but best not to aggravate it any more. Wish I could tell you more specifically what it is, but I didn't get that far myself
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Justin Baum

Profile:

i considered that the pec pain might be from the ring dips. i just got rings about 3 weeks ago and this was the first workout where i really worked them hard. hoping for a lot of lower body wod's in the near future
Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Costal chondritis? I think it's a ligament problem between your ribs.... Sorry I don't have more info, but this was kinda common when I worked as a medic for people who lifted something heavy and or had a big coughing spell.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Hasib Saliefendic

Profile:

I only wish I could get something from the sales of the book. For the record, I don't have any interest in the book nor profit from it in any way.

I just remember how I would look for any clue as to what might be happening with my shoulders and what I might do to heal them. It was in the posts on this forum that I first heard of trigger points, but surprisingly, nobody has mentioned this great book. Best kept secret!

If any part of my posts helps even one person I'm happy!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Just giving you a hard time Hasib

Your posts and quotes seem well-informed, and hopefully they'll be of use to someone out there.

Justin, I forgot that you mentioned doing Nate and Randy. The ring dips are definitely what did me in. If it's the same thing I was having, I'd lay off of them for a week, get lots of rest, drink lots of water, eat right, and then the second week I added in small sets of push-ups, before the 3rd or 4th week, when I finally started re-incorporating sets of 5 ring dips again.

Hope that helps... I know that chest pain SUCKS though.