CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #1
Joel M Guindon

Profile:
Exclamation Back from back injury, need proper advice !!

Hey all!

Just over a year ago, someone introduced me to Crossfit, I did about 2 weeks of it and really loved it but I got badly injured at work (lower back injury).

To sum it up: lumbar sprain + 2 herniated discs + sciatic nerve problems = Perfect "pain" cocktail.

Doctors took me off work for nearly 8 months, no sports, no working out, nothing to put pressure on my back ! Before this injury, my life was based on being active and this really knocked me out cold! With physiotherapy and all, rehab took just over a year. I managed, with proper eating habits, to only put on 6 pounds (went from 210 to 216).

Today, January 2nd 2008, I got cleared by my doctor to start intelligently working out again....intelligently being the key word!

I'm 37 years old, 216 pounds, badly out of shape, no cardio and severe loss of endurance and strenght....and muscle !! But I have great moral hehe! I am motivated and will achieve my goals.

My question is this: Can someone give me advice on getting back into shape after coming out of "back injury rehab"? Doctor says I have to start working out like someon who's never worked out before and gradualy up the intensity....but intelligently <----- again that word! He He

Here's a little bit info on my background: I've been actice since I've been 10 years old...literally ! I've always kept myself in shape playing sports like hockey, jogging, cycling, cross trainning (not crossfit) and I have 10 years in the military. So, I know what it takes to be in good shape and have a strong mental foundation.

I know I can get back to what i was before the injury but not sure how to start...intelligently! I have the mental idea to push it always a little over the limit...but I have to be intelligent this time around and play it safe untill I recondition my body into being able to "push it over the limit" readyness.

How should I work around/with the WODs to accomodate my present "state"?

Signed: Happy to be "back" and starting to recondition my body and mind into "Forged Elite Fitness"!...........in time!

Joe

Last edited by Joel M Guindon; 01-03-2008 at 02:09 AM..
Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Steven Rogers

Profile:
Re: Back from back injury, need proper advice !!

I'd start out with the CFWU and walking a mile, see how your body reacts, and correct from there.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Do the CWFU, scaled WOD, get to an affiliate, revamp your diet. Read all threads on boards, change doctors.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Michael Thornton

Profile:

Maybe start with the workouts at http://www.simplefit.org/
Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Joel M Guindon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thornton View Post
Maybe start with the workouts at http://www.simplefit.org/
Had a look at that and it sounds interesting as a starter to gauge my back. thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Do the CWFU, scaled WOD, get to an affiliate, revamp your diet. Read all threads on boards, change doctors.
Where do I find a scaled WOD? Read quite a few threads and found some good ideas. And changing doctors is kind of hard...in the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Rogers View Post
I'd start out with the CFWU and walking a mile, see how your body reacts, and correct from there.
Ill definitly start by doing walks...but with a weighted backpack
Old 01-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel M Guindon View Post
Where do I find a scaled WOD? Read quite a few threads and found some good ideas.
Linked from the upper-right-hand corner of the CrossFit FAQ page, here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html (w/f safe).
Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Joel M Guindon

Profile:

Thx Mr Wood
Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Billy Norwood

Profile:

Hey Joel,

I slipped a disc carrying some crap up some stairs and turning sideways to let a lady walk by first about 2 years ago. I had real bad sciatia and i was extremely crooked just looking at me. I saw one chiropractor because someone at my gym recommended her to me for a free visit and she suggested surgery of course or just to stay off it and stretch. So I read the internet and actually thats how I came to CrossFit.

I started out with lots of swimming and some walking and hiking and a little bit of the recumbent bike. It didnt take long to get to the point i was doing body weight exercises including air squats, at first i had to use a swiss ball or a pole to help me stretch out enough during the squats. I stayed away from any overhead lifting or deads for the first three months, but youve had more time to recover and i just went into it. So my advice is to take it slow except for body weight stuff you should be ok to handle. Overhead stuff puts more pressure so make sure to watch your form. My form went to crap as my flexibility was pretty poor after the initial injury. Now I am doing well and working on the Starting Strength program and have been playing hockey for about 6mos. Anyhow, good luck!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
Joel M Guindon

Profile:

thx Bill....I have access to a swimming pool...ill give that a try, its low impact on the body but it does dish out quite a cardio workout
Old 01-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Slightly off topic. What information leads you to believe he recieved bad advice from his doctor?