CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
What is everyone's opinions on fruit? I know that wild fruit is completely healthy and low in total sugar and contains much higher levels of nutrients and antioxidants. But what about modern fruits? They're sugary, much larger, and really don't seem to contain much nutrient content compared to vegetables. Not to even mention the high fructose content of fruits, which increases serum triglyceride levels, interferes with liver function, and is much more likely to cause the formation of AGE's. They also seem to halt the fat-burning process. What has been everyone's experience with fruit these days? Is there anyway to obtain wild fruits from any health food stores?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Steve Shafley

Profile:
The amount of fructose in even high fructose fruits isn't that big.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritio...its_table.html

Just a quick number from the above chart.

7.6 grams of fructose in 100 grams of apple.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I meant that fruit had a high fructose content relative to the other types of sugar found in fruit, like glucose, sucrose, galactose, etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Just avoid those fruits, homey. Like apples seem to be the biggest problem.

I'm lucky, just down the road a half hour or so, I've got an antique apple orchard. 300+ varieties of apples nobody but this orchard grows anymore. $2 a bushel, you pick.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Ted Williams

Profile:
Steve, is that in Michigan?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
Hone Watson

Profile:
I reckon fruit is fine in the context of a paleo non-processed diet.

Most fruits actually have a low glycemic load. Chimpanzees and Orangotangs eat a lot of fruit and they're usually less than 4% body fat. Apparently humans are more than 98% the same dna of these apes. (Not a hugely scientific argument I know)

When I passed through Dubai I went on a dune safari in a Toyota Landcruiser - basically just driving around crazy in the desert dunes. Our guide was this Emiratie guy who had a picture of his grandfather in his glove box.

The dude was totally ripped at 94 with all his lean muscle mass still intact - built like a 400 meter runner.

Apparently he just lived in the desert eating, camel meat, camel milk, goat meat and lots of raw dates.

Dates probably have the highest GI out of any fruit.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #7
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Yes indeed. I was wrong, 1700 varieties of apples.

Eastman's Antique Orchard
1058 S. County Line Road
Wheeler, MI 48662
Midland County
Phone: (989) 842-5684
Directions: From the East: take M-46 west from Saginaw. Go 4 miles past the city of Merrill to Woodbridge Road, than turn 4 miles north to County Line Road.
From the West: take M-46 go 3 miles past the city of Breckenridge to Woodbridge Road, than turn 4 miles north to County Line Road. The orchard is on the corner of County Line Road and Woodbridge Road.
Open: Late July (early apples) through October;
Description: U-Pick Drive Through. We have over 1700 varieties of apples: international, modern and antique, including many rare antique apples. Most or our trees are dwarf trees for easy picking.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 AM   #8
Tony Ferous

Profile:
Greg, for those reasons, i mainly eat berries and choose small fruit - the smallest apples etc, not the enormous bloated ones. That way you get maximum fruit skin surface area, where most of the nutrients are, and most of the wax and pesticides too unfortunately.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #9
Marc Moffett

Profile:
Greg, my opinion is that you can worry too much about carbs/fructose. With Tony, I try to choose small fruits with high surface to volume ratios. But I don't worry about it too much. Fruits are just too loaded with good stuff to ignore. And from an evolutionary perspective, they have one advantage that no other food source has--they plant "intends" for you to eat them! IMO that is worth pondering. (The fact that fruits have really been an integral part of our diet for millions of years (far longer than meat), makes me a little suspicious of the "badness of fructose" claims. I am not sure we have all the facts in on this one.)

On top of all that, I think that diversifying the diet is very important. If you cut out fruits, then you have to make that diversity up elsewhere. It can be hard to do.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #10
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I have read that in the Paleo world, fruits provided sugar in Summer needed to increase fertility in women, to allow conception in humans who would otherwise not conceive. I think this was in Lights Out! but I am not sure.