CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
As it turns out I might be doing sessions of IF without even being aware of it. My last meal is at 10pm or so. I wake up and have breakfast at around 9am (that's almost 12 hours of no food). I've been doing that for the past 2 or so weeks and I must say, I feel great! No loss of energy, I wake up refreshed, I can go to bed light...

Is this considred "IF"? am I doing this correctly?

I do notice when I wake up I'm lean, light, ready to run around and climb trees! As the day goes by though, I feel softer, abs aren't as visible... any ideas why this is happening? or is this normal.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Tony Ferous

Profile:
Not long enough Frank, 15 hours+ is the ususal. Do a board search for more info.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I would try to stretch the time out a little longer. Maybe have your 'last meal' around 7pm if possible, or wait to have your first meal until noon.

I usually go from 8 or 9pm to noon.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Heather L. Gibbons

Profile:
I agree with the above and I think eating your last meal sooner would be beneficial. I know folks argue back and forth as to whether late meals really do effect sleep but I certainly find that it does. This may just be me. My last meal is quite early - and though I suspect they'll be people who say you need some food in your belly before you go to sleep (Barry Sears being one of them) - It's made a big difference in the quality of my sleep and it's allowed for a groggy-free vault from bed.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I have no science to back this claim up at all, but from practice I've noticed that IF seems to be more effect when the majrotiy of the fasting time takes place during the hours that I'm awake. I personally just feel like I have more of an energy drive when I fast while I'm awake. Plus, I feel that eating before bed (not RIGHT before) provides the body with nutrition that can be used to repair the body while I sleep. Also, I think even 15 hours is too short, as I tend to shoot for 20 hours a day usually. That means I usually have an eating window of about 4 hours a day and fast the rest of the time. As long as I eat high calorie foods I have no problem maintaining energy and body weight.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
"I've noticed that IF seems to be more effect when the majrotiy of the fasting time takes place during the hours that I'm awake"

greg,

does that mean you are eating when you are asleep?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think that means putting most of the calories later in the day. that should emulate HG eating patterns and as Greg notes it takes advantage of the adrenal response ot the fast to enhance allertness.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
HAHAHA, that was really funny for some reason. I just pictured myself unknowingly snacking on some almonds as I sleep in bed. What I meant was that the MAJORITY of the time that I am fasting is when I'm awake, not all of the time. I sleep for 8 hours a night, which is obviously in a fasted state. I am awake for 16 hours and eat only for 4 hours of those 16, therefore, 12 of the hours that I am fasting I am awake, and 8 of them I am asleep. My feeding window begins in the evening (as Robb stated) at around 6:00pm and lasts til 10:00pm. Not too long ago I was following an every other day pattern of eating 2 meals a day one day, and one meal a day the next when I was eating a lot of fibrous vegetables. Now that I've began to eat more tubers and fruit and less fibrous vegetables I find it much easier to eat plenty of calories in a 4 hour window rather than spreading the meals out more evenly.