CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Kevin Cale

Profile:
PPNovice Program

I've just started the Practical Programming Novice Program and have seen immediate improvement.I lift on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Obviously rest is important on this program , I play soccer for an hour on a Wednesday. If recovery is not so good, what should I do-cut some squat sets on the Tuesday or the Thursday?
Also could I get a short metcon in on the Sunday and if so how long and any suggested workouts?
How can I integrate core work into this-L-sits,V-ups and kness2Elbows-how many days,sets ,reps?
Also and sorry if this has been asked before but why are the pullup numbers so high-why are they not also performed with weight once 5 BW dead hangs are achieved.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: PPNovice Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cale View Post
I've just started the Practical Programming Novice Program and have seen immediate improvement.I lift on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Obviously rest is important on this program , I play soccer for an hour on a Wednesday. If recovery is not so good, what should I do-cut some squat sets on the Tuesday or the Thursday?
Also could I get a short metcon in on the Sunday and if so how long and any suggested workouts?
How can I integrate core work into this-L-sits,V-ups and kness2Elbows-how many days,sets ,reps?
Also and sorry if this has been asked before but why are the pullup numbers so high-why are they not also performed with weight once 5 BW dead hangs are achieved.
Potential for a bunch of long responses here but...Here's a short one. To answer the above question in bold - it IS core work...
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
David Stout

Profile:

If you ask a question about cutting a squat set on Rip's program due to recovery issues and then turn around asking for an added metcon day you are misunderstanding a couple things.

If you play soccer on Wednesday I'd set my lifting up as (to basically give a rest day afterwards before you lift again):

Sunday: SS

Monday: Off

Tuesday: SS

Wednesday: Soccer

Thursday: Off

Friday: SS

Saturday: Off

See how you do with your linear progressions on that and then add 1 metcon in 3 weeks to see if you can handle it.

You can always add a short core circuit after a SS day or do L-Pull ups one of the pull up days if you want.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stout View Post
If you ask a question about cutting a squat set on Rip's program due to recovery issues and then turn around asking for an added metcon day you are misunderstanding a couple things.

If you play soccer on Wednesday I'd set my lifting up as (to basically give a rest day afterwards before you lift again):

Sunday: SS

Monday: Off

Tuesday: SS

Wednesday: Soccer

Thursday: Off

Friday: SS

Saturday: Off

See how you do with your linear progressions on that and then add 1 metcon in 3 weeks to see if you can handle it.

You can always add a short core circuit after a SS day or do L-Pull ups one of the pull up days if you want.
this is pretty much it right here. The point about doing the novice program in PP or SS is that you sit around, eat a ton, lift and grow.

If you want Metcon and all the rest, do MEBB. Cutting squat sets is not an option.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Kevin Cale

Profile:

Thanks for the advice.
when I add the metcon how long should the session be?
also can anyone answer my pullup query?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.
when I add the metcon how long should the session be?
also can anyone answer my pullup query?
Why are you trying to mix that lifting program with metcons? What are your goals? Arbitrarily mixing programs won't reach the potential of either program.

If you REALLY want to add in MetCons then I would use ones from the Cataylst Athletics WODs. They are short and aren't taxing on the legs.

Pullups are used as more as repetition training in that program than as pure pulling strength training. With the cleans and DLs, you've got plenty of heavy pulling and apparently Rip has found the best results by programming it this way.

- Alex
Old 10-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Why are you trying to mix that lifting program with metcons? What are your goals? Arbitrarily mixing programs won't reach the potential of either program.- Alex
my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

Quote:
kevin approx 1 month ago i started the PP advanced novice routine. depending on my schedule ive lifted either sun,tues,thurs or mon,wed,fri with short met-cons and other athletic activities in between.

having said this i may have limited some of the strength gains i would have otherwise gained but i wanted to keep in shape. ive found i can handle doing the weights in the morning and a basketball game at night. ive also found i can play basketball monday night and with proper sleep and nutrition(i.e eat a lot) i can then do the strength on tuesday. i consider myself to be in pretty decent shape so depending on your fitness this may or may not be an option.

if you are going to add metcon keep it under 10 min's and it shouldnt involve anything you are training i.e squats or pullups. i've found many good short metcons on the PM website. if you are playing soccer once a week i would only add 1-2 short metcons a week to that.