CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #21
Clay Jones

Profile:

Pierre, drinking beer to ward off the plague was probably much preferred to the other common practice of the time--flagellation.

Though I don't think the Jesuits had to worry about the Black Death of 1347-1350--Saint Ignatius was not born until 1491 . . . .

I'm just full of useless information :lol:
Old 07-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #22
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Oh hahahaha yeah thanks for clearing that up Clay.
Cistercians and Trappists it is!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #23
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
Great post, Greg. I inadvertently put this theory to the test. Before crossfit, I had no problem putting them away. Often, too many. For the first few months I was doing CF, my alcohol consumption steadily declined to the point that a beer in a week was rare, and something I (irrationally) talked myself into. More often than not, however, I'd have iced tea or water. For the last two weeks, I hadn't been working out for a variety of reasons. . . and over the last two days of that span, realized how more I'd been drinking over that span. I'm back into the WODs now for a couple days, and the desire to have a beer is gone. Part of it, maybe subconciously, is not wanting to take steps backward after busting my arse in the gym. Part of it is, as you put it, the adventure, of finding good food in a jungle of crap or doing WODs in the gym while everyone else is doing concentration curls.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #24
Kurt Holm

Profile:
I think this thread raises an interesting and important question; what is "enough"? I will attest that for me, no alcohol definitely equates to better athletic performance. I can also categorically state that some alcohol (a beer while watching a game, some nice wine with dinner) makes my life more pleasant and too much booze is awful during and after. So, whether it's alcohol, pasta or intensity, how much is "enough"?

I find that my biggest challenge in CrossFit (diet and exercise) is accepting MY challenges (diet and exercise) without constantly diminishing my "successes" by measuring them against the performance of others. There will always be someone faster, stronger, thinner, smarter, harder working, and more (or less) sober.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
How about that old saying about the russian powerlifting team that drank beers for a warm up?
Or as Pavel put it..."Vodka at night, Pickle juice in the morning, and kettlebell lifting in between this hangover and the next one.A russians day well spent."
Being a college student it doesnt get easy, especially when your known as being athletic and always being challenged to a game of beer pong or slosh ball :biggrin:

Cheers!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #26
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Heh, that article explains why I woke up this morning (after too much wine last night) and then had tuna from the can and a protein shake for breakfast.

I guess I've actually been drinking more since I started crossfitting, not sure why though.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #27
Tony Ferous

Profile:
"Something to think about when drinkin..."
I'm usually thinking about girls whilst im drinking...

Heavy alcohol intake even for 1 night has a very negative affect on my training the next day(and my productivity in all other areas too in fact). Training when tired and with low T levels can't be very useful.

Also, I find that if I have an intense weights session(to failure for instance) and then have drinks that same night, any hangover is amplified and muscle ache far worse, anyone else noticed this?

Old 07-15-2006, 04:02 AM   #28
Erica Bergstrom

Profile:
I've almost stopped drinking entirely. I just don't find it to be worthwhile. It affects my performance hugely, especially mentally. I'm a climber, and I absolutely will not climb when hungover, and I don't even like climbing with others who are hungover - They always say they're fine, but I've had too many rocks kicked on me.

Last fall, I discovered that beer can actually taste good when I started visiting an award winning micro brewerey on a regular basis (2-5 drinks 5-6 days a week with my climbing buddies). But in retrospect, my physical performance suffered and even my personality changed.

When I have alcohol now, I can feel it in my system for 2-3 days afterwords, even with just 2 beers. Maybe I'm sensitive to alcohol. Now, I'm averaging one or two drinks a month, and only if it's good quality beer. It's easier to pay for those $6-$8 specialty beers if I only have two a month! :happy:

(Message edited by Erica_Bergstrom on July 15, 2006)
Old 07-15-2006, 06:13 AM   #29
Mechelle Mouras

Profile:  
keep in mind that woman dont care much for drunk men. Lets not forget its not only bad for your body but there is a reason they make t-shirts that say. Instant A-hole just add beer!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #30
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
Tony, I agree. I usually have drinks on my 3rd training day and notice the "extra" soreness more than usual. For instance today lol. it lasts too, until maybe the 2nd day of training in the next 3 day cycle. I dont mind it though.
I can imagine how a active athlete would cut out alcohol, but for some, i.e. me, I just CF so its not a big deal. I can say if your trying to diet and still having a few nights of drinking it wont do any good. I guess im just focussed on performance than the pretty physique.