CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #21
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'm 240, and I'd be 220 and cut if I didn't like bubbly things. Forget the "don't work out if you're sore" nonsense. I've been doing it since I started this, and I can tell you from personal experience that you can do a lot even when you think you can't. The problem is upstairs, not in your muscles. Two sets that stand out in my mind were "Run 5K, one day/Max Deadlift, next day." I ran a 25-ish 5k, which I thought was great, and deadlifted 500 or so the next day. Another was tabata squats one day, max back squat the next. My legs hurt so bad I had trouble walking, but I squatted about what I normally did, at that time around 400, if memory serves.

I'm not a bodybuilder, but as far as I can tell the things most guys seem to care about are pecs, shoulders, abs, biceps, and I think that's about it.

In your warmup, do ring pushups, alternated with ring flyes. GREAT pec hurter. After the WOD, do bicep curls, and tricep pushdowns, or whatever makes you happy. Shoulders and abs are easy. Do a lot of HSPU, and good abdominal routine in your warmup. I'm a big fan of glute-ham situps--they make a visible difference quickly; I have what I call a 12 pack, which is a six pack that is still visible through the other six pack.

If you are actually doing the WOD as written, and working the extra stuff in, you're good. When you look at pumping, that's exactly what a workout like Chelsea does.

Do that, eat properly, take your fish oil, take ZMA (I just discovered that, thanks I think to a post from Scott Kustes), and, if it makes you happy, creatine, and you definitely won't lose weight, I guarantee that, and you will like get very cut, strong, and big enough to kick sand in someones face (not that I condone that). No, wait, you're supposed to kick that guys butt, 'cause he's messing with your girl. That ads going back a few years for me.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #22
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:
Some of those girls in the videos section have a decent size. If it does that for them, I'd imagine a male shouldn't have a problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
david stryker

Profile:  
Hi guys, new to the board.
These guys look pretty built, and their workout is full of bodyweight stuff. Pretty inspiring, actually - although I had the sound turned down...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h84m5...kout%20Fitness

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
Clement Florence

Profile:
Found an interesting article along the lines of aesthetics v's performance. If I didn't know better I would've thought it was written by our great mentor Greg Glassman himself. Very thought provoking!
http://www.bodytribe.com/routine.html

Old 04-10-2006, 04:59 AM   #25
John Walsh

Profile:
There is nothing wrong with bodybuilding. I know some extremely strong dudes that BB. Personally I don’t think CF is the way to go if your primary purpose is BB. A lot of it depends on your body type and metabolism. If you poke around the site you won’t see many or any massive builds or even very impressive builds from a BB perspective. Most CFers would be considered skinny from a real BB perspective. CF is more about all around functionality.

It doesn’t sound like you will obtain your goals doing CF as listed on the WOD and mixing in a BB routine. Maybe you’re doing too much? Why don’t you try doing some sort of 5x5 routine with heavy compound movements 2 or 3 days a week and on off days throw in some short, fat burning CF work out?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #26
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I have noticed better gains in LBM by approaching workouts with a crossfit philosophy than any approach to bodybuilding type routines, including hit, super slow, forced negatives, strip sets etc.

The main modification is I don't workout when I'm sore, or after a poor nights sleep. I have a history of inflamed joints and I really value the recovery. Also I don't do olympic lifts.

Essentially I have to agree with the assertion in the FAQ. Crossfit is the best natural way to build LBM. The key is to really crank up the intensity.

As far as functionality/size paradox...I think the best physique someone who wants function can hope for is that of a gymnast. Not entirely a bad thing eh? They are more defined and symmetric than those dudes into natural BBing! If one wants to get bigger than that, plan on giving up agility and speed and go for the strongman look.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #27
Peter Queen

Profile:
Just to throw in my 2c....Kevin you can always throw together your own BB WOD from time to time. I still do because I have over 10 years of naturall BB experience. I know how you feel about letting go of something that you have come to trust in for so long. Just throw together several similar routines continuously for time. Like John said, "There is nothing wrong with bodybuilding." Just don't expect for it to be directly applicable in the real world, IMO.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #28
Ian Carver

Profile:
Kevin,

Wow, there's some great advice on this thread. I am most likely echoing the sentiments of the other posts, but re-consider why you want to be fit/strong/built and what purpose your fitness and physique will serve you.

I understand completely where you are coming from when talking about losing the muscle it took so long to put on. I used to be a pro cyclist. 155 Lbs, 6% BF, lots of lower body muscle, and wide shoulders. When I quit the sport due to a chronic injury and got into Law Enforcement, I began the task of putting muscle on. It took a few years of strict hardcore BB and diet, but in the end I was 205 Lbs and around 9% BF. I finally felt happy with the way I looked, all for the sake of vanity in some ways. Bad guys tended not to want to fight as much, so that was a plus. However, I sacrificed endurance for size, mass, and a "good look". Physiologically, that weight was also very hard for my body to maintain. I was also working SWAT for 18 months and would be on call outs loaded down w/tons of equipment in heat,cold, rain, etc. That was even more taxing on my body. I saw drawbacks to my lack of endurance in the field, on call outs, in fights, in foot pursuits, etc.. I was strong as hell, but only for a limited time. That can be a bad thing in a life or death struggle.

Once I began CF and I found a happy place. I dropped down to 190-195 lbs, which is way easier for me to maintain and I remain around 8-9% BF. My endurance is back to where I need it to be and I use it, as well as my strength, every day in the field as a K9 handler in a large and busy Calif. agency. I am probably pretty damn close to as strong now as I was then. Also, I have retained much more muscle than what you would think. Many people still think I'm heavily in BB. I personally think that BB helped me and my body in many ways, even now as a Crossfit devotee, but it did not always serve a useful purpose in the real world where it mattered most.

What it comes down to, is that now my fitness program is all inclusive and is a integral part of me going home at night. You, being in the military, are in the same boat. Strength is a necessity, but so is endurance. Try not to sacrifice one for the other, it could be your life on the line.

Don't worry, you won't return to your 160 Lb frame, but instead you'll find a happy medium, retain a lot more muscle than you think, and be very fit as long as you continue with your strict diet and workout program. Look at Anthony Bainbridge's photo and his bio info. He and Greg Amundson are a perfect example for you. There are plenty other CF'ers like that out there too. I bet if you put one of those guys in a a ring with Ronnie Coleman, they would walk out the winner due to using strength, flexibilty, agility, and endurance against a person who only posseses one of those traits (hmmm, might be kind of a cool experiment...).

If nothing else, maybe you can run a CF routine for several weeks and then run a BB routine for a week or so. Hopefully something out of all these posts helps you get what you want. Take care and be safe.