CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #941
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: CF Games 2011 General Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaines DuVall View Post
You actually proved my point dude. He killed it on events 1 and 2. In the 3rd event, he wasn't quite as strong. He OWNS any event that is around 15 minutes or less. Sure the 3rd event was technically only 10 to 15 minutes, but it was grouped with 2 others.

Regardless, he is an animal and the best crossfitter. But just not the best crossfitter on the longer events, thats all.
Not really..

Generally, if you go harder on something you will have less energy on something else.

That's why there is strategy in track and field events. You have to conserve energy for the times when you need to go hard and the times you need to go lighter.

He has the correct strategy for this event (as did Holmberg as seen above).

Clearly he is a bit weak on endurance (compared to Holmberg) but nothing significant in this regard especialy in comparison to the other athletes.

He put up the 2nd best score (of 12) over all the athletes in this event even with "tanking" the last one.

Is that weak endurance? Don't let the tanking on the last workout confuse you.... all that matters is scoring.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #942
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post
So...Spirit of the Games?
I say Annie T. or Annie S. Both just looked like they were out there having fun on a playground.
It would never happen, but I'd love to see it go to all of the teams who hung around and cheered on Rocklin after their Elizabeth went so badly.

Either that or Mikko Salo for finishing the first WOD despite (what I hear was) a burst eardrum.

And, of course, I should win Spirit of the Message Board.

- Mark
Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #943
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Not really..

Generally, if you go harder on something you will have less energy on something else.

That's why there is strategy in track and field events. You have to conserve energy for the times when you need to go hard and the times you need to go lighter.

Clearly he is a bit weak on endurance (compared to Holmberg) but nothing significant in this regard especialy in comparison to the other athletes.

He put up the 2nd best score (of 12) over all the athletes in this event even with "tanking" the last one.

Is that weak endurance? Don't let the tanking on the last workout confuse you.... all that matters is scoring.

Oh boy! Let me just rephrase it. Endurance isnt his STRONGEST point.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #944
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Not really..

Oh and just to see if you'll possibly admit that I was right, checkout this link. It shows all the competitors times on popular WOD's. Look at Rich's time for Filthy 50 compared to the rest. HE IS AMAZING! But his weakness, or less strong strength, is longer events.

http://games.crossfit.com/finals/competitors
Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #945
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
+

Oh boy! Let me just rephrase it. Endurance isnt his STRONGEST point.
Eh, but as Steven pointed out his endurance on the longest part wasn't great because he made the decision to go hard on parts 1 and 2. He didn't have as much left in the tank because he went close to all-out for 3 then 6 minutes. And the numbers show that his strategy probably benefited him more than it would have if he'd paced the first two then gone all out on the third.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #946
Steven Ngo

Profile:

i like how the 3 heights of the rogue box are placed for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd of the podium
Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #947
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Oh and just to see if you'll possibly admit that I was right, checkout this link. It shows all the competitors times on popular WOD's. Look at Rich's time for Filthy 50 compared to the rest. HE IS AMAZING! But his weakness, or less strong strength, is longer events.

http://games.crossfit.com/finals/competitors
There's no guarantee as to how recent those times are--I have a hard time believing I can beat Rich on F50 or Helen, for instance.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #948
Steven Low

Profile:

You can say that of any athlete though. "Strength isn't his strongest point." "Endurance isn't his strongest point." "X isn't his strongest point"

It's too vague... compared to other competitors his endurance is more than adequate in a chipper type event like this last triple event was. Even last year he was destroying the chipper last year until he got exposed because of his crappy rope climbs (which honestly weren't much better this year).

I would generally agree that his weakest point is endurance, but the caveat is that his endurance is still good enough to put him in the higher end of performance in chipper type workouts.

Basically, over a CF type competition if he continues to improve it seems that to oust him from that top position they're going to need more stuff like the first workout where there are novel movements where he doesn't usually practice likely in the form of an endurance workout.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #949
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Eh, but as Steven pointed out his endurance on the longest part wasn't great because he made the decision to go hard on parts 1 and 2. He didn't have as much left in the tank because he went close to all-out for 3 then 6 minutes. And the numbers show that his strategy probably benefited him more than it would have if he'd paced the first two then gone all out on the third.
ok. I give up. I'll state again, RICK IS AN ANIMAL and the best Crossfitter ever. Thats all.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #950
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
You can say that of any athlete though. "Strength isn't his strongest point." "Endurance isn't his strongest point." "X isn't his strongest point"

It's too vague... compared to other competitors his endurance is more than adequate in a chipper type event like this last triple event was. Even last year he was destroying the chipper last year until he got exposed because of his crappy rope climbs (which honestly weren't much better this year).

I would generally agree that his weakest point is endurance, but the caveat is that his endurance is still good enough to put him in the higher end of performance in chipper type workouts.

Basically, over a CF type competition if he continues to improve it seems that to oust him from that top position they're going to need more stuff like the first workout where there are novel movements where he doesn't usually practice likely in the form of an endurance workout.
Ok.........